Bowl take aways

btowngopher

Reaction score
The defense looks like it could take an additional step forward from what was already very good the past two seasons. Slightly worried about LB depth, but I think a couple young guys should be ready to step up if needed.

Daniel Jackson has become an alpha wr. He looks much stronger on contested balls and after the catch.

Redding is an underrated asset at returning punts. Very secure and pretty dangerous when he does return one.

Ealier Gopher teams would have gone fetal into the second half after Syracuse played competent hurry-up football for that score.

Credit to this team it didn't. That's been the case all season but you never know with a bowl. Now we do.

The defense looks like it could take an additional step forward from what was already very good the past two seasons. Slightly worried about LB depth, but I think a couple young guys should be ready to step up if needed.

Daniel Jackson has become an alpha wr. He looks much stronger on contested balls and after the catch.

Redding is an underrated asset at returning punts. Very secure and pretty dangerous when he does return one.
If 45 is s ok then I think they’ll be fine at LB.

If 45 is s ok then I think they’ll be fine at LB.
Linebacker is rough position. Sori Marin was incredibly durable. Hopefully Selig makes a big impact otherwise someone will be stepping into a much larger role.

I don't know how much you can take away from the game - because of the field conditions.

how can you evaluate players when they were having trouble just standing up or taking a few steps without falling down?

I guess my one take-away is that we saw some more aggressive defensive play-calling later in the game. My guess is that Rossi realized the DB's were having a hard time covering on that field, so he brought pressure to get the QB moving.

My thoughts walking out of the game.
  • Boe really struggled today, but so do most centers in their first couple games.
  • Howden seemed to struggle in coverage.
  • Willis looked good at LB.
  • I am very excited about Bryson. He was great in coverage and he has game breaking speed.
  • Where was Zach Evans?

Linebacker is rough position. Sori Marin was incredibly durable. Hopefully Selig makes a big impact otherwise someone will be stepping into a much larger role.
Transfer Collins is coming here as an edge rusher, but he played a lot of LB at NC, I believe. He is a De'Vondre Campbell sized LB, maybe.

I see Jah Joyner growing from game to game.

Darius Green looks promising.

I thought the o-line did pretty well without Schmitz.

Lindenberg will be a star.

Daniel Jackson is the real deal.

I think Trey Potts is still recovering from his injury last year, but I think I can see flashes of a return to his former self.

Fleck always has his teams playing hard, playing disciplined, playing smart. They obviously enjoy wearing the Gopher uniform.

The future is bright.

My take away is perhaps I’m spoiled but this was a crappy bowl and it was uncomfortable to watch.

* starts out with the news JMS opted out despite assumptions the Gophers were going to be mostly intact for this game.

* Tyler Nubin didn’t play and it was assumed he too, would be in action.

* did we just witness a player essentially opt out at halftime of a bowl game?

* Another failed turf situation on a baseball field led to slipping and sliding all over the turf. Lots of leg injuries left me wondering if they would have happened on “normal” turf, and also left me wondering if every 2 yard loss should have been a 20 yard gain and if every 20 yard gain should have been a 2 yard loss.

* Absolute stunningly bad announcing and game coverage by the entire broadcast crew. No replay coverage on one entire sideline. Announcers oblivious to the Gophers missing their best defensive player until it occurred to them early in the fourth quarter. Very little follow up on injury status. Totally missed the pre snap contact on the center that stopped the Gophers first possession. On and on it went.

Daniel "Action" Jackson is definitely a playmaker and deserves to see major action along with Chris Autman-Bell as our top two receivers next year. The new receivers should be fun to watch too!

Lett's just get our QB back healthy though, ok??

My take away is perhaps I’m spoiled but this was a crappy bowl and it was uncomfortable to watch.

* starts out with the news JMS opted out despite assumptions the Gophers were going to be mostly intact for this game.

* Another failed turf situation on a baseball field led to slipping and sliding all over the turf. Lots of leg injuries left me wondering if they would have happened on “normal” turf, and also left me wondering if every 2 yard loss should have been a 20 yard gain and if every 20 yard gain should have been a 2 yard loss.

* Absolute stunningly bad announcing and game coverage by the entire broadcast crew. No replay coverage on one entire sideline. Announcers oblivious to the Gophers missing their best defensive player until it occurred to them early in the fourth quarter. Very little follow up on injury status. Totally missed the pre snap contact on the center that stopped the Gophers first possession. On and on it went.
I’m thinking the staff and Fleck told Mo he was done as he had all the records that could be achieved

• Boe really struggled today, but so do most centers in their first couple games.
  • I am very excited about Bryson. He was great in coverage and he has game breaking speed.
  • Where was Zach Evans?
Would have been nice to see Evans get a few Carrie’s in the 2nd half.

I’m thinking the staff and Fleck told Mo he was done as he had all the records that could be achieved
Interview on kfan after the game, PJ said Mo's ankle was acting up which is why he didn't play more. Said it had been an issue most of the year which surprised the hell out of me considering how much they ran him in some games.

Opt out at half? Are you referring to Mo? Pretty sure the plan was to sit him once the records were broken.

Even on that last personal foul that ended the game. No replay. And the angles are all terrible because the cameras are miles away since it’s played at a baseball stadium.

Interview on kfan after the game, PJ said Mo's ankle was acting up which is why he didn't play more. Said it had been an issue most of the year which surprised the hell out of me considering how much they ran him in some games.
I was starting to think he just added a little strut to his wall because he was limping most of the time after a run the entire 2nd half of the season. Probably just one of those injuries that takes time to fully heal. Hopefully he gets healthy enough to compete at the combine.

Would have been nice to see Evans get a few Carrie’s in the 2nd half.
Did they err on the side of caution, not wanting to risk him getting hurt after what happened to AK? Or is he still far behind Potts/Williams and people need to pump the brakes about who gets the most carries next year?

Time to end the pinstrip bowl! No one should ever have to play there again!

Did they err on the side of caution, not wanting to risk him getting hurt after what happened to AK? Or is he still far behind Potts/Williams and people need to pump the brakes about who gets the most carries next year?
That’s possible too. Not a good situation to get his first action in a long time.

I was at the MSU game where he hurt it when getting tackled on the sideline. He limped off.

• Where was Zach Evans?
Evans was on sideline later in game, dressed. Saw Zach smiling with the other backs. Actually glad didn’t play with how bad field was and to scored two tds in next seasons opening victory against Nebraska.

Thanks

• Where was Zach Evans?
Howden struggled his whole career here in coverage and tackling angles...

I see Jah Joyner growing from game to game.

Darius Green looks promising.

I thought the o-line did pretty well without Schmitz.

Lindenberg will be a star.

Daniel Jackson is the real deal.

I think Trey Potts is still recovering from his injury last year, but I think I can see flashes of a return to his former self.

Fleck always has his teams playing hard, playing disciplined, playing smart. They obviously enjoy wearing the Gopher uniform.

The future is bright.
Good points all....

I’m not sure Boe is athletic enough to be effective. I hope some of the younger OL are ready to go next year. Our tackles should be better next year, but our interior three remain to be seen. Otherwise, I think the future is very bright. We have a lot of young guys on O and D who look like they have star quality.

Top Bottom