Bowl Games: Minority Opinion??

DL65

Reaction score
I believe the B1G Conference has a good set of alliances for the bowl season. Nevertheless, I must admit - because of tradition and games with the PAC 12 - I wish we still had the Sun Bowl in the conference bowl lineup. The Sun Bowl is the second oldest bowl game, and, of course, l would like to see more pairings with the West coast teams.

Additionally, the Sun Bowl is televised on CBS and is one of only two bowl games that you don't need cable or a satellite system for viewing. The Cotton Bowl is televised on FOX. The other bowl games are on ESPN, ESPNU, or ESPN2. I would imagine a good percentage of households have cable or a satellite system, but, nevertheless, I would think for recruiting purposes it would be an advantage to have a game on standard network television.

Your thoughts . . .

Go Gophers!!

Have you ever been to El Paso... That's one of the downsides.

Have you ever been to El Paso... That's one of the downsides.

No. I was stationed at Fort Hood and Fort Sam Houston (1970-71). I enjoyed my stay in the Lone Star State very much. I had a couple friends that were stationed at Fort Bliss and they said I had the better duty stations. I also have some friends that lived in El Paso that worked for 3M, plant is in Juarez. They had mixed reviews, but they highlighted the pluses.

I was also stationed at Fort Huachuca, AZ, which is in the middle of the desert near Tombstone. I must confess there's a certain beauty to the desert, especially sunsets.

In any case, I wonder what the GopherHolers that made the Sun Bowl trips in 1999 and 2003 thought of the bowl and the locale. I live in Iowa, and some of my Hawkeye friends said they enjoyed their visits to El Paso but preferred San Antonio (Alamo Bowl trips).

Go Gophers!!

What do you call a Mexican QB?: " El Paso " I was at both Sun Bowls and had a great time. Cross the border and you can pound a few a smoke a cigar in the Kentucky Club. Golf was cheap El Paso fans were great, especially tailgating. Both times they adopted the Minnesota fans. They thought the Duck fans were smug ass dipsticks. The one bowl I wish we had back was the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio.

Always try to catch some of the Sun Bowl on TV. I appreciate the history of the game. I attended both Minnesota Sun Bowls and had a great trip each time. Would I want to move to El Paso? No, and I understand that there a lot of problems there. But the people were friendly, even those who were not directly affiliated with the game. The food was great and it was very clear that they viewed the bowl game with a lot of civic pride. I have no idea what other annual events are in El Paso, but I got the impression that they understood how important the game was to help create a positive impression of the city and the people I encountered acted as positive ambassadors for their city. I'd welcome the chance to go back.

Top Bottom