Bowl Game Scenarios: Does the committee respect the Gophers Football Program?

That would be ridiculous if we get jumped by Nebraska and Iowa after beating them both and getting higher ranked then them both and finishing above them in the same division with more difficult crossover games. It is one thing for a bowl game's committee with no real affiliation or commitment to us to snub us, but for our own conference to do it would be pathetic.

That would be ridiculous if we get jumped by Nebraska and Iowa after beating them both and getting higher ranked then them both and finishing above them in the same division with more difficult crossover games. It is one thing for a bowl game's committee with no real affiliation or commitment to us to snub us, but for our own conference to do it would be pathetic.

Those projections all assume we lose to Wisconsin. If we win and then lose to OSU, Wisconsin May jump us, but Iowa and Nebraska won't.

Here's what I think tier 1 will look like

If Ohio St. wins the CCG, and they & MSU are in the NYD 6:

MN, NE, WI

If the west winner wins, they & OSU are in the NYD 6

MSU, NE, MN/WI loser

Gophers fans have, with legitimate reason mostly, been accused of not traveling in big numbers to regular season road games and past bowl games. However, what was expected for bowl game attendance when we were routinely snubbed for better bowls and kept going to the same places, some of which were not very appealing in the first place?

We went to the Sun Bowl in El Paso (not a hot spot, epecially on New Year's Eve) twice in five years, both times against Oregon. We went to Nashville for the Music City Bowl three times in four years. Tempe and greater Phoenix have a lot of allure, but by the time we went there the third time in a row, the place as unsellable to fans. Then we wound up in Houston two straight years.

If we win on Saturday, or if we lose a close game, I think plenty of people would be willing to spend New Year's in Orlando or Tampa. We just need to be given a fair shot.

FWIW, there were multiple references in the Omaha and Lincoln newspapers on Sunday saying how strong the Minnesota contingent was. It sounds like we're going to have a large following in Madison. Hopefully the league and bowls are paying attention.

Both guys doing ESPN bowl projections have Iowa jumping MN. One guy has Iowa to Holiday and MN to Gator. The next has Iowa to Outback and MN to Holiday.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections

If we play a quality SEC team like Ole Miss in the Gator Bowl than I wouldn't mind if Iowa and Nebraska jump us. Good location as well. In fact I think I might actually prefer it. Outback and Citrus would be superior of course though.

Here's what I think tier 1 will look like

If Ohio St. wins the CCG, and they & MSU are in the NYD 6:

MN, NE, WI

If the west winner wins, they & OSU are in the NYD 6

MSU, NE, MN/WI loser

That's what it should be. The only question marks are:

1. Do they throw Maryland a bone assuming they beat Rutgers? They shouldn't, but I wouldn't be surprised.

2. I've seen us get jumped enough to know that Iowa could pass us. It would be insulting if it happened though.

Top Bottom