Bowl game ratings

swingman

Reaction score
Last edited:

It's a few years ago now but it recently popped up in my memory feed.

Back in 2014 the New Orleans Bowl, pitting Nevada vs UL-Lafayette scored a 1.6 rating on ESPN. On the same day, CBS (network) had basketball games between Kentucky/UCLA and North Carolina/Ohio State. Those games scored a 1.5 and 1.4 respectively.

This is why these bowl games exist. Football is still king.

There's definitely not "too many bowl games" People still watch

Definitely not. Especially since teams are moving towards larger conference schedules and scheduling less difficult non-con opponents. Getting to watch teams (even ones that are only average to good) play other teams that they normally do not see is fun. Especially when the playing styles of the two teams clash.

This is why these bowl games exist. Football is still king.

Yes, even the most elite college basketball teams in the country don't raise as much revenue as the school's football teams. I think there's also a greater urgency to watch football at this time of year; these are the last football games whereas there is plenty of basketball left.

ShowNetwork18-49 ViewersViewers (mil.)
College Football: MS St. v. TX TechESPN0.903.92
College Football: Air Force v. LouisvilleESPN0.562.73
College Football: WV v. MNESPN0.552.40
College Football: Houston v. AuburnESPN0.482.29

Makes sense that the earliest and latest games would have the lowest audience. The big primetime audience was great for Texas Tech. Not so good for MS St.

Definitely not. Especially since teams are moving towards larger conference schedules and scheduling less difficult non-con opponents. Getting to watch teams (even ones that are only average to good) play other teams that they normally do not see is fun. Especially when the playing styles of the two teams clash.

I really enjoying watching your last point - clashing styles. The PAC12 and BG12 largely moved to basketball-on-grass spread offenses over the last two decades because of early success, and their defenses responded according with smaller faster players. Those same teams are now sometimes woefully unprepared to handle a good ball control power offense that still has speed on defense. Good stuff.

ShowNetwork18-49 ViewersViewers (mil.)
College Football: MS St. v. TX TechESPN0.903.92
College Football: Air Force v. LouisvilleESPN0.562.73
College Football: WV v. MNESPN0.552.40
College Football: Houston v. AuburnESPN0.482.29
The amazing thing I found is that about 1.5M households in American are still holding out hope that there's treasure on Oak Island.

Iowa/Kentucky was top non-New Year's 6 Bowl...was on ABC...was on New Year's...had the noon start...Penn State was ESPN2, 11 am start...rest ESPN

I really enjoying watching your last point - clashing styles. The PAC12 and BG12 largely moved to basketball-on-grass spread offenses over the last two decades because of early success, and their defenses responded according with smaller faster players. Those same teams are now sometimes woefully unprepared to handle a good ball control power offense that still has speed on defense. Good stuff.
Are you living in 2009?
11/14 teams in the SEC run a version of the spread
7 of the top 50 rush defenses in terms of yards per rush given up are in the big 12

Last edited:

Gopher game had 1 million more viewers than the NHLs winter classic.
Wow, that little nugget really puts into context why ESPN keeps pumping out the bowls. Obviously hockey is a niche sport, but bowls outdraw marquee CBB and NBA games as well. It really boggles the mind how popular football is in America.

Wow, that little nugget really puts into context why ESPN keeps pumping out the bowls. Obviously hockey is a niche sport, but bowls outdraw marquee CBB and NBA games as well. It really boggles the mind how popular football is in America.
I think a lot of it has to do with how many games there are in a season. People are sort of "filling up" on football games now, even some of the less prestigious bowls, because when they're done, it's a long wait until August/September.

On top of having less games, November-January is the time of year where football is really heating up, while hockey and basketball still feels early.

There are some marquee match-ups, like those Thanksgiving tournaments. However, even if, let's say, the No. 2 and No. 5 basketball teams in the country play each other, it doesn't have the same impact, because there's so many more games to be played to bounce back from for the losing team.

I think that's true for the Winter Classic, too. The outdoor experience in person is really memorable, but watching it on TV isn't the same. Outside of major hockey fans, the casual sports viewer probably thinks they can catch up with these teams many more times in the year.

Although I've long thought that the bigger problem with the Winter Classic is it's on what's typically been College Football's day. NBA has Christmas, NFL has Thanksgiving, and for so many years, Jan. 1 has been centered on bowl games, including the Rose Bowl.

I get wanting to have the Winter Classic be associated with a holiday, but I just feel like New Year's Day is already taken, it just doesn't scream NHL to me.

2.4 M viewers for a game was on television in the middle of the night for most of the country (and the games fan bases). Wow.

I don’t understand why Fox isn’t all over this.

You are correct, the "Big 12 doesn't play defense" is an extremely outdated stereotype.

OK State (very good) and Iowa State (decent) play defense. Baylor has an efficient defense. The rest are mediocre to bad.

Top Bottom