Both Gach To Return To Utah Basketball After One Season With Minnesota

Now that gach is listed on the utes roster, can we drop this thread?

14 names on the utes roster. If Mitchell returns to college, are the utes no longer an option?

His injury happened against Maryland for those that care to look at his stats. He was actually improving in B1G play until then and then his minutes had to be cut bc of his foot.

Non-conference play, kid was very good.

Someone a while back mentioned his TO rate. Look at the TO rate for some of the 1st team all conference. Both was actually average or better overall in the conference for TO
He was a good player at Utah before, and I was surprised he transferred the first time. He fits that MWC style for most part. Clearly was hobbled w Gophers and had a tough run there.....good for him.

He was a good player at Utah before, and I was surprised he transferred the first time. He fits that MWC style for most part. Clearly was hobbled w Gophers and had a tough run there.....good for him.
Poor shooter, hesitant passer,weak rebounder, poor anticipation and court sense. Weak defender.

Mountain West style? In the PAC 12?

Poor shooter, hesitant passer,weak rebounder, poor anticipation and court sense. Weak defender.

Don't agree that he was a weak rebounder. I think he was a pretty good rebounding guard. Among Big Ten guards playing 500 minutes or more, he was 10th in defensive rebounding percentage, right behind Ayo Dosunmo. The highest two (Franz Wagner and Dalano Banton) had forward size.

Of course, being an active defensive rebounding guard sometimes comes at the cost of leaving your man or area on defense.

As I said during the season, even when people said Gach was playing well.... imo he has so much more ability than he demonstrated, even non conference.
1000% he shot poorly but I don't think he is a poor shooter. There is a difference.
He absolutely possesses great anticipation but did not demonstrate that either.
Players need to be comfortable to play to their ability. People were saying Springs could not shoot and was hesitant and a bust in his first 10 games as a Gopher. I saw a guy who just needed to get more comfortable and confident. He played well as the season progressed..
Gach even in non conference didn't play with confidence. Didn't play to his potential....didn't play like he was confident and comfortable....again in my observation.
There are not many coaching whisperers evidently but somebody helped Springs get closer to
his potential. Didn't happen as a Gopher for Gach versus he can't play.

(If the only time somebody saw Luka Doncic play was game 6...they'd say what is all the hype about? This guy is nothing special. If you only saw game 5, NBA players, current and retired, were saying he is the best player in the game.)
There is often times more ability than what is shown and then there are guys who just can't play.
Gach by your comments is in the can't play box....not what I see. I do agree he was woeful as a Gopher.

Last edited:

As I said during the season, even when people said Gach was playing well.... imo he has so much more ability than he demonstrated, even non conference.
1000% he shot poorly but I don't think he is a poor shooter. There is a difference.
He absolutely possesses great anticipation but did not demonstrate that either.
Players need to be comfortable to play to their ability. People were saying Springs could not shoot and was hesitant and a bust in his first 10 games as a Gopher. I saw a guy who just needed to get more comfortable and confident. He played well as the season progressed..
Gach even in non conference didn't play with confidence. Didn't play to his potential....didn't play like he was confident and comfortable....again in my observation.
There are not many coaching whisperers evidently but somebody helped Springs get closer to
his potential. Didn't happen as a Gopher for Gach versus he can't play.

(If the only time somebody saw Luka Doncic play was game 6...they'd say what is all the hype about? This guy is nothing special. If you only saw game 5, NBA players, current and retired, were saying he is the best player in the game.)
There is often times more ability than what is shown and then there are guys who just can't play.
Gach by your comments is in the can't play box....not what I see. I do agree he was woeful as a Gopher.
Saw him in high school , at UTAH and here. That is a really large sample size. Much different than your one NBA game example. Has very poor court sense and his numbers reveal a very inefficient player. Anticipation,recognition and reaction are slow. We are seeing completely different things. That is OK.

Saw him in high school , at UTAH and here. That is a really large sample size. Much different than your one NBA game example. Has very poor court sense and his numbers reveal a very inefficient player. Anticipation,recognition and reaction are slow. We are seeing completely different things. That is OK.
I think that's the single least coachable quality.

There is a lot of really good data that the best indicator for BBIQ for a guard is rebounds and for a C/PF is steals. If you look at most of the really good centers, they had really good steals numbers (for Cs in college).

Another good example of this is that Steph Curry has considerably better rebounding numbers than Wiggins. The only way Curry could ever be grabbing more rebounds than Wiggins is that he has a great feel for the game and Wiggins does not.

I don't remember much complaining about Gach last season until we started losing. He did look bad the second half of the season. He was shaping up to be a legit 3rd option scorer until he got hurt though. I would imagine most would agree he was also playing for a lousy coach. I also don't recall anyone wanting him gone until he entered the portal. Now that he's gone, he was a terrible player and we're better off? Seems he would have been improved with better health and a better coaching staff. Maybe he just wasn't what Ben is looking for.
This is nothing. People here were saying Mashburn transferring was addition by subtraction. Idiots.

What is wrong with playing where you want to play and go to school?

Obviously they can do whatever they, but the fans are under no obligation to continue to pay attention or pay money. And consequently, they increasingly aren't.

Top Bottom