Bostick and Carter

mchiller

Reaction score
They both played great today. I think they have both played well since the start of the big ten season. Maybe not as far as points, but in hustle and many other ways. I think they are both getting comfortable with the physical play and faster tempo and expect them to be a big part of our success in the rest of the season.

Let's kick some butt in Wisconsin!

I think they both are becoming more comfortable in the system and they both showed what they can bring to the game today. That was a great show. Hey Mister, how do you spell DEPTH?

I could see Bostick overtaking Westbrook's starting spot in the future. I like Westbrook a lot, but Bostick has a lot better size for the 2 guard spot and could create some mismatches there. It would also give us a pretty big starting 5 with him, Nolen, DJ, RSIII, and Iverson.

Or how bout havin the starting 5 of Nolen, Westbrook, Bostick, DJ, and Iverson. That would bring some fire to the starting 5 that we seem to be lacking at the beginning of games!

Starting rotation changes...

I was actually just wondering which one of our Jucos will crack the starting lineup in the coming weeks. I think both Carter and Bostick could eventually become starters in the coming weeks.

The thing is, about this team, it really doesn't matter who starts. Westbrook doesn't usually have the best asst/TO ratio (tied for the team lead in assists today) but I like his toughness and he usually doesn't force up bad shots.

It's really hard to overestimate the depth on this team. It gives Tubby an enormous amount of freedom to see who's got the hot hand, come up with good mismatches on both sides, and keep up the pressure on the defensive end for 40 minutes.

I still think the continued development of Bostick and Carter are the key to how far this team goes this season. Today was another great step for both of them.

Nope, I disagree. The key to how far this team goes is the development of our 2 young post players. RSIII played a decent game, Colton's performance was harder to judge - he always works his tail off but the stats come and go. If these guys develp to the point of combining for 14-20 rebounds a night and the same for points, look out. But I don't see that happening until next year, just not strong enough yet.

Starting line ups have just lost its significance to me this season.. If one group isnt working out, just send in some fresh feet. Love it.

I was actually just wondering which one of our Jucos will crack the starting lineup in the coming weeks. I think both Carter and Bostick could eventually become starters in the coming weeks.

The thing is, about this team, it really doesn't matter who starts. Westbrook doesn't usually have the best asst/TO ratio (tied for the team lead in assists today) but I like his toughness and he usually doesn't force up bad shots.

It's really hard to overestimate the depth on this team. It gives Tubby an enormous amount of freedom to see who's got the hot hand, come up with good mismatches on both sides, and keep up the pressure on the defensive end for 40 minutes.

I still think the continued development of Bostick and Carter are the key to how far this team goes this season. Today was another great step for both of them.

If Colton or Ralph can consistently draw a double team, the Gophers are undefendable.

Great to see the improvement. Bostick acutally looked ok on defense for once. His defense will be a bigger decider for more playing time, or if he will start. Tubby is defense first.

Great to see the improvement. Bostick acutally looked ok on defense for once. His defense will be a bigger decider for more playing time, or if he will start. Tubby is defense first.

I agree with you on Bosticks defense. Although he has improved greatly from the begining of the season, he is still a step slow on rotations and tends to reach instead of moving his feet. If he keeps improving on the defensive end then we can start talking about more minutes.

As for Carter, he brings something we dont really have on this team. An athletic 6'8" guy who can keep up with the quick PF in the Big Ten. Whomever said "Carter is not a Big Ten PF" a couple weeks ago doesnt watch the college game that closely. Gone are the days where your PF is low post banger, now that position is more of a slasher type, who can jump and rebound. And we need somebody who can defend that guy. Besides Carter, Damien is the only other guy, but is often to short. Busch, is to small and Sampson (as seen in the last two games) is too slow and can get taken off the dribble at will.

Let me re-phrase my point...

Sure, I absolutely believe that if one or both of the two young guys develop into considerably more on the offensive (and defensive for that matter) end, yes, the sky would be the limit for this team. Without question.

My point was, considering they're both freshmen, it's more likely that we'll see more substantial growth and contribution from the Jucos than from Iverson and RSIII as we progress through the season. I think the maturity of the Jucos and their athletic ability and talent makes me more realistically hopeful about significant improvement and development from them between now and the end of the season than the two freshmen.

But I would agree, speaking hypothetically, if one or both of those big guys developed offensively in the next handful of weeks to a point where they were a serious offensive threat, that would be monumental. I'm just not sure how realistic that is at this point, considering the typically lenghthier learning curve for big men.

Sure, I absolutely believe that if one or both of the two young guys develop into considerably more on the offensive (and defensive for that matter) end, yes, the sky would be the limit for this team. Without question.

My point was, considering they're both freshmen, it's more likely that we'll see more substantial growth and contribution from the Jucos than from Iverson and RSIII as we progress through the season. I think the maturity of the Jucos and their athletic ability and talent makes me more realistically hopeful about significant improvement and development from them between now and the end of the season than the two freshmen.

But I would agree, speaking hypothetically, if one or both of those big guys developed offensively in the next handful of weeks to a point where they were a serious offensive threat, that would be monumental. I'm just not sure how realistic that is at this point, considering the typically lenghthier learning curve for big men.

Ogee- I remember the kid from Minnesota a few years back O'Bryant, didn't he blossom right at tourney time? He had been having a good year and then around tourney time he became a force. I can't recall if he was a Soph or Frosh but a big move out of Iverson or Sampson such as that could certainly help us make a big move.

Ogee- I remember the kid from Minnesota a few years back O'Bryant, didn't he blossom right at tourney time? He had been having a good year and then around tourney time he became a force. I can't recall if he was a Soph or Frosh but a big move out of Iverson or Sampson such as that could certainly help us make a big move.

YOu're right BGA--Patrick O'bryant, but it was his soph year that he had such a good tourney, and was subsequently drafted.

Top Bottom