Borowicz?

The girl needs help. PJ talks about all the mental health folks available to the players.
She’s confused and hurting emotionally. I wish her the best!
I have taken care of people with her condition in my career. Please know this is a real neurological condition that requires surgery and affects the whole lower brain and spinal cord and potentially can cause pain. Do not suggest she needs help nor mental help nor she is confused or hurting emotionally!! Really speaks to gross misunderstanding of the situation affecting her.

For what it’s worth, I really enjoyed having Katie B as a teammate! Compared to Lindsay’s first recruiting class, she was a breath of fresh air: competitive, positive, vocal (in a good way), TOUGH kid. Sometimes she could get a little out of control but was receptive to feedback as far as I could tell.

My observation is that this was Katie’s first “real” season (not counting her early enrollment semester) playing in the B1G, and her first time playing in 2-3 years. She may have gotten away with some of those shots/passes in high school, but not here. I hope she stays and can settle down a bit with this season under her belt.

More generally: Not a fan of family sounding off publicly. Have always been taught by my own parents to handle issues with coaches/bosses/whoever privately and face-to-face.
You will go far in life with that very sound advice. Praise in public. Criticize in private.

Can you imagine trying to play basketball with the running, jumping, bumping into people, the way she plays diving on the ball....all while having a pounding headaches???? That sounds like hell.....

My heart breaks for the young woman. I cannot imagine the toll her condition took on her emotionally and physically. The mind and heart were willing, but the body just couldn't take it anymore.

If she reads this, she disappointed nobody as far as I'm concerned. The fact that she even tried to play through this after the surgey speaks volumes of her character and determination. More importantly, I hope she finds permanent relief from the pain. She is more than just a basketball player - she is a daughter, sister and wonderful human being to many people. No medical condition can ever take that away.

Hoping she gets more schooling paid for and gets that U of M degree.

I believe the Gopher will be able to get a Medical Exemption, aka Medical Retirement, for her that allows them to keep her on scholarship while not counting her scholarship against the 15 scholarship limit for WBB. With her well documented medicals and brain surgery it should be an easy exemption to obtain. She's totally earned it, enrolling early, surgery, trying to play through it etc.

This is a potentially life altering medical condition. She isn’t confused or emotional.
I’m aware of her situation. In my opinion, professional help would be helpful in dealing with her traumatic life altering situation.
She says she feels like she is “disappointing people”. That to me says she needs someone
to help her navigate all she dealing with. That conclusion on her part speaks to confusion in her mind to me.
If your dreams are shattered at any time in life it is emotional. At 18,19 even more so. You are invincible.
So yes, I feel talking to a professional to help guide her through this horrible time would be beneficial.
Not sure why the backlash to suggest help is somehow bad?

I’m aware of her situation. In my opinion, professional help would be helpful in dealing with her traumatic life altering situation.
She says she feels like she is “disappointing people”. That to me says she needs someone
to help her navigate all she dealing with. That conclusion on her part speaks to confusion in her mind to me.
If your dreams are shattered at any time in life it is emotional. At 18,19 even more so. You are invincible.
So yes, I feel talking to a professional to help guide her through this horrible time would be beneficial.
For F sake do people actually think she isn’t getting help. She has more resources than most.

My heart breaks for the young woman. I cannot imagine the toll her condition took on her emotionally and physically. The mind and heart were willing, but the body just couldn't take it anymore.

If she reads this, she disappointed nobody as far as I'm concerned. The fact that she even tried to play through this after the surgey speaks volumes of her character and determination. More importantly, I hope she finds permanent relief from the pain. She is more than just a basketball player - she is a daughter, sister and wonderful human being to many people. No medical condition can ever take that away.
But you don’t think talking to someone trained to deal with people experiencing her situation you described is a good idea?

For F sake do people actually think she isn’t getting help. She has more resources than most.
Available and utilized are not always synonymous. She has a tough mindset. Someone who easily could say I don’t need help.
I don’t know. Just know what I read.
Like everybody else, I’m just worried about her well being.

Yes, her scholarship will be honored. Hope she can stay involved with the program somehow!
Yes, this is why greasy SEC football programs used to push players to medically retire in football. They saw it as a win/win. The player gets stay at the school on scholarship if they want and the school has another scholarship to use on a kid they will likely force to medically retire in 2 seasons.

It's the way you phrased it in your initial post; "The girl needs help." - as if she was some crazy mental case or something. Then you followed it up with, "She's confused and hurting emotionally." - as if you have any clue whatsoever.

You came off as clueless and arrogant on it, that's why (I think) you got the backlash you did.

If you would have said something like, "with all the pressure that comes with big time college sports, etc. it's nice that the U has mental health folks available for people like her to lean on if needed" you would have gotten a different response.

It's the way you phrased it in your initial post; "The girl needs help." - as if she was some crazy mental case or something. Then you followed it up with, "She's confused and hurting emotionally." - as if you have any clue whatsoever.

You came off as clueless and arrogant on it, that's why (I think) you got the backlash you did.

If you would have said something like, "with all the pressure that comes with big time college sports, etc. it's nice that the U has mental health folks available for people like her to lean on if needed" you would have gotten a different response.
That is how I read it. However, upon further review, it does not appear that was the intent.

What a play by Katie Borowicz early this season! That's her high energy, go for the play style. And then onto the next play.

Put in the effort and the plays will come ahead, trust.

That was one of the most amazing plays I’ve ever seen. It was right in front of my seat. What a game.

What a play by Katie Borowicz early this season! That's her high energy, go for the play style. And then onto the next play.

Put in the effort and the plays will come ahead, trust.

I remember that too! Right in front of me.

I want to publicly apologize for being a bit critical of her this year. I didn't understand the physical and mental challenges she had and am extremely impressed by what she was able to provide to the team with those obstacles. Retiring from a sport that you love is extremely difficult and causes clinical depression. I know that from personal experience and didn't play at her level. It appears she tried really hard and should be commended for that, and definitely not feel guilty for having to walk away.

Awesome for Katie B! I'm sure the Hamline women will enjoy her positive energy.
Did she graduate college already? must have I suppose. This would have been the start of year 4.5 since she had played 2.5 years and sat out 1 year plus summer classes I imagine she could graduate already.

Did she graduate college already? must have I suppose. This would have been the start of year 4.5 since she had played 2.5 years and sat out 1 year plus summer classes I imagine she could graduate already.
Most college players should be able to graduate in three years, because of summer classes. Those that have a Covid or other redshirt year should be able to complete a Graduate degree. Considering that less than 1% are going to play basketball professionally, more should be taking advantage of this free education. Especially with the advanced degree, this free education is worth about $200-$400,000 for an athlete (depending on the school), and could set them up for a lifetime of good job prospects. And connections / referrals. But they have to take it seriously.

Most college players should be able to graduate in three years, because of summer classes. Those that have a Covid or other redshirt year should be able to complete a Graduate degree. Considering that less than 1% are going to play basketball professionally, more should be taking advantage of this free education. Especially with the advanced degree, this free education is worth about $200-$400,000 for an athlete (depending on the school), and could set them up for a lifetime of good job prospects. And connections / referrals. But they have to take it seriously.
I watched the you tube video after posting that and that was recorded last spring and in the video she said she would graduate in 1year. That must mean Hamline doesn’t require a college degree for assistant coaches.

Top Bottom