Borowicz?

75594D1A-4BB7-4433-8589-3677BBD291AF.png
Well I’ve had this for a while now. I coach up in 8AA the same section as Roseau. One of my former athletes showed me this maybe 2 days after Whalen resigned. I wasn’t sure if I should show it because I honestly didn’t know what to think of it. This at least shows Borowicz was not happy about some things.

I have many good and bad opinions on the family as well so….take this post for what it’s worth. Also Kiley is the oldest of the sisters.

View attachment 24689
Well I’ve had this for a while now. I coach up in 8AA the same section as Roseau. One of my former athletes showed me this maybe 2 days after Whalen resigned. I wasn’t sure if I should show it because I honestly didn’t know what to think of it. This at least shows Borowicz was not happy about some things.

I have many good and bad opinions on the family as well so….take this post for what it’s worth. Also Kiley is the oldest of the sisters.

What the team needs (one person's feedback) per above:

Get after the girls ALOT.

Encourage and utilize the correct players.

Encourage and utilize all players for what they are good at.

Push them to be better at what they need to work on.

Opinion on Whalen as a coach:

NOT happy with everything this year.

All coaching staff focused more on things like t-shirts [social/political agenda] for certain games and social media"

Coaching staff did that instead of focusing on these basketball problems.

Coaching staff were "just there to be there not to improve the program."

That is a scathing criticism of how the program was coached.

It further says,

"I hope Lindsay can learn from this and can take another coaching position is a few years and I think middle school is a good place to start."

Scathing.

What is Needed in New Coach

Choose wisely, and read the comments at the top.

-------------------------------------------------------

Now I will give my opinion. Borowicz in the first game or three looked great. And then from there she played a little wild. And maybe it wouldn't look wild if her shots went in but those fancy drives and missing looked wild.

My own view is that the whole team was not well coached and showed in the turnovers and wild play of Borowicz.

And then I think Borowicz was slightly a scapegoat getting put on the bench when really I think she would have benefited from better coaching.

Whalen said positively on the radio early-mid season that Borowicz was like Michael Jordan, which I interpreted to mean she liked her bold play style. And then a few weeks later after a bad loss and lots of turnovers Borowicz is benched.

She is a unique player. She brings the efforts, dribbles fantastic, can navigate trash, has a 3 that is so sweet sometimes. And yet she is short by Big Ten standards and has her shot lanes blocked sometimes and too often tried to force it. I think she got better at kicking that out.

I think some coaches will look at her play and say, "I'll pass. She would be a superstar at a step down." Other coaches, "I can train/discipline her and work around and with that."

And then the feelings must be mixed of some falling short from a personal achievement point of view, liking the coach, being frustrated with the lack of focus in the program, a little bit not getting fair coaching maybe.

I will say this program has been unfocused for awhile. Too many distractions. That really showed in the stats.

Last year too. It's not "the freshmen will get better." This was happening last season badly too.

I think the word "focus" was spot on.

And then there's probably a mixture or stuff including thing Borowicz needs to improve. She owns that.

And I do think it said that is the goal. To be better.

And finally, I don't know.

Wouldn’t she understand that when she made the wild turnovers that was on her not the coach. If she wanted to play more she should have been more under control.

Wouldn’t she understand that when she made the wild turnovers that was on her not the coach. If she wanted to play more she should have been more under control.
Shouldn't the coach(es) work with her on this? It continued thru the end of the season. Does it mean the coaches can't coach or is she uncoachable?

View attachment 24689

I noticed Kiley trashed Braun earlier in the year on social media after a loss. I wondered if her bold comments made it into the locker room. I agree the concentration seemed to be on special T Shirts and not the fundamentals of basketball. It’s going to be a lot different under Coach P!

Truth usually in the middle and everyone has their own truth. If she leaves it’s more than just Whalen. She might be hard to play with as well. Time will tell.
For what it’s worth, I really enjoyed having Katie B as a teammate! Compared to Lindsay’s first recruiting class, she was a breath of fresh air: competitive, positive, vocal (in a good way), TOUGH kid. Sometimes she could get a little out of control but was receptive to feedback as far as I could tell.

My observation is that this was Katie’s first “real” season (not counting her early enrollment semester) playing in the B1G, and her first time playing in 2-3 years. She may have gotten away with some of those shots/passes in high school, but not here. I hope she stays and can settle down a bit with this season under her belt.

More generally: Not a fan of family sounding off publicly. Have always been taught by my own parents to handle issues with coaches/bosses/whoever privately and face-to-face.

Excellent. It’s doubtful that Whalen never told KB that she should throw the ball to players wearing the same colored shirts. Or that her 1 on 3 drives weren’t getting finished. Or that her yo yoing the ball was clogging things up. Kiley can be glad Whalen "did not hold players accountable"! Her sister woulda sat even more.

For what it’s worth I hope Borowicz stays, but I think the Gophers will be ok either way.
If she wants to continue to be a Gopher, she should be allowed to stay. Coach P might have an interesting dynamic to work with if a group of players are so close and struggle to make each other better because they are best friends.

If she wants to continue to be a Gopher, she should be allowed to stay. Coach P might have an interesting dynamic to work with if a group of players are so close and struggle to make each other better because they are best friends.
I agree that she should be allowed to stay if that is what she wants. These young people committed to the U and the commitment should work both ways. However, she would have to accept a role as a player coming off the bench. No way she starts on this team. Some of the noise surrounding this situation seems to indicate she or those surrounding her may not handle it well. Either way I hope everything works out for her.

The girl needs help. PJ talks about all the mental health folks available to the players.
She’s confused and hurting emotionally. I wish her the best!

I am not surprised. She had a towel on her neck every time she came out. Either a hot or cold. I’m not sure. I still wonder why she didn’t attend the press conference.

The girl needs help. PJ talks about all the mental health folks available to the players.
What an absurd thing to say. You don't know what she's going through or the challenges she was facing after her surgery. Regardless, we should all wish her the best! She was a MN kid who stayed home (which sadly for us is a rare occurrence) and chose the rep the Maroon and Gold. Hope that she can have a pain-free life and appreciate her trying her best here!

Thank you Katie for your contributions to the Gopher WBB! So sad it had to be cut short but your health is more importan! Hope you get some relief from the pain sooner than later and hope you can achieve recovery from your medical issues.

I know a guy who was the backup QB for a very successful FCS football program. he had a neck injury that just never got better and had to medically retire. Super-competitive dude - he would never have walked away but the doctors told him the risk of serious permanent injury was just too high.

the deal with Borowicz sounds like something similar. no matter what the heart tells you, sometimes the body tells you it's just not going to work.

Dude she has a medical condition that can be life threatening and went through surgery just to play ball. It took a lot of rehab for her to just feel normal and play basketball. I hope if she stay's at the U she still has some connection to the Gophers women's basketball team. She was a good captain and promoter of the program. I want to thank Katie also for being a Gopher and bringing some stability and consistency to the program when it was an ocean of negativity. She will be successful coach if her heart is in it, she can see things on the floor that others do not see, and help's teammates. That's a gift that still can be shared coaching, especially kids. Good Luck Katie!

you still have TIME to delete this REALLY bad take..

she had SURGEY ON HER SKULL.. and the pain isn't improving.. how is that being confused.. she is looking out for herself for the rest of her life..

Top Bottom