Boom! Miami Player Wong will enter transfer portal if NIL isn’t increased!

Why not a few bucks on top of that? Does that suddenly tip the balance? Now it is unfair for the colleges, coaches, and TV networks?
A few bucks for signing autographs, for jersey sales, or a couple of hours greeting customers at a car dealership? Sure. That's what NIL was intended to offer.

Big money to play at a particular school is not ok and not what was intended.

And the integrity of college athletics should never depend on the wishes of TV networks. By the way, colleges, coaches, and TV were all doing well financially befor NIL.

Might work or a legal challenge might topple the entire current monopoly that IS the NCAA.

Perhaps a good middle ground is to allow each league to pay players through the school equally and based on their own details, timing, and amounts. For example, football, basketball, and perhaps some other revenue generating players get a cut of the $770 million dollars they earn for the Big 10.
Then you have unions, strikes and lost seasons.

If the NCAA says that "boosters" cannot be involved with making direct NIL inducements to recruits, that is going to cover a lot of people.

If I recall, at MN, the definition of "booster" includes anyone who makes a donation to the school - including the 'seat donations' that come with season tickets. so any season-ticket holder at MN is a booster under that definition. and what if that booster owns a business? he can't do an NIL deal with a player to endorse his business?

assuming this survives a court challenge, the real question is enforcement. the NCAA doesn't have enough investigators to deal with the regular rules violations. how in the bleep are they going to investigate and enforce potential NIL violations?
Random investigations are enough if they are willing to give violators one-year suspensions from the sport. Only a couple would shut it down.

If the NCAA says that "boosters" cannot be involved with making direct NIL inducements to recruits, that is going to cover a lot of people.

If I recall, at MN, the definition of "booster" includes anyone who makes a donation to the school - including the 'seat donations' that come with season tickets. so any season-ticket holder at MN is a booster under that definition. and what if that booster owns a business? he can't do an NIL deal with a player to endorse his business?

assuming this survives a court challenge, the real question is enforcement. the NCAA doesn't have enough investigators to deal with the regular rules violations. how in the bleep are they going to investigate and enforce potential NIL violations?
The booster can still do the deal. Just can't be an inducement to sign.

The booster can still do the deal. Just can't be an inducement to sign.
Which is at least a good step in the right direction.

I have zero proof, but I don't believe future super-star RB Irving (who just left the Gopher football team for Oregon) would have even entered the portal without (soft) guarantees from boosters of other schools that he'd be making six-figure NIL money.

Absolutely tampering and inducement, IF that's how it went down. I choose to believe it did.

A few bucks for signing autographs, for jersey sales, or a couple of hours greeting customers at a car dealership? Sure. That's what NIL was intended to offer.

Big money to play at a particular school is not ok and not what was intended.

And the integrity of college athletics should never depend on the wishes of TV networks. By the way, colleges, coaches, and TV were all doing well financially befor NIL.
This is where I have been on NIL from the begging. Used as intended it is a great thing for athletes that frankly should have been done a long time ago.

The quick bastardization of it in football and basketball was never what it was intended to be even if it was 100% predictable that it would go that route.

Top Bottom