Book Recommendations

Reading Lessons From the Light. About near death experiences. About half way through. Like it.
Read Dracula years ago. Good book.
Think it was Just the Facts that mentioned the public library app, Libby. Great app.

I'm a big fan of the fantasy genre. Obviously not everyone's cup of tea, however the most recent series that I read was the Kingkiller Chronicles. Only the first two books of the trilogy are out, but FANTASTIC reads and I highly recommend them.

I'm usually into non-fiction, but my all-time fave is "The Count of Monte Cristo." It's pretty long (1,000 pages or so), but a real page-turner.

I watched a program on television recently about books, but no I haven’t read any lately.

Im re-reading the Mitch Rapp and Jack Reacher series. Good stuff.

I read non-fiction pretty much exclusively (probably has been decades since I've read a novel). I think I would say that William Shirer's magnum opus "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" was the most satisfying historical read. Part of the satisfaction was completing it (almost 1,300 pages) although it was easy to read. Although subsequent history revealed that he didn't get everything quite right, Shirer did a remarkable and compelling job chronicling the most catastrophic yet fascinating period of 20th century history.

When it comes to a novel, finishing Dickens' Bleak House (over 1,000 pages) gave a similar feeling of accomplishment but its 19th century English style made that a more difficult read.

I also read almost exclusively nonfiction (watch fiction, read nonfiction). I'd recommend Team of Rivals if you haven't read it yet for a long quarantine read. I'm recurrently reading A Secret History of the IRA. Interesting to get a behind-the-scenes look at the IRA.

I'm a big fan of the fantasy genre. Obviously not everyone's cup of tea, however the most recent series that I read was the Kingkiller Chronicles. Only the first two books of the trilogy are out, but FANTASTIC reads and I highly recommend them.
mplslarson, you really need to warn people that they will NEVER get to read the third volume. It's what, 6 years overdue? :)

I did like a lot of the first two books, especially the first. I do completely agree with the criticism that there is too much wish fulfillment and Mary Sue elements. He is the only man to escape that female demon because he's so good at sex? Lord that was terrible.

I recently read "When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi. He's a rising neurosurgeon who is about to begin his career and he is diagnosed with terminal cancer. A powerful book, amazing perspective, humorous and sad. I highly recommend it.

Go Gophers!!

I recently read "When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi. He's a rising neurosurgeon who is about to begin his career and he is diagnosed with terminal cancer. A powerful book, amazing perspective, humorous and sad. I highly recommend it.

Go Gophers!!
Wonderful book. Broke my heart, though.

I just finished "The Passenger" by Lisa Lutz. It's a murder mystery of sorts and I couldn't see around the corners. I highly recommend.

Thought I would bump this thread.

I recently read "The Spellman Chronicles," which is the first in a series by Lisa Lutz. It was above average. Not nearly as good as "The Passenger," the first book I read by the same author.

Currently reading "The Marsh King's Daughter." Very good so far.

I've been doing a lot of sitting in waiting rooms the last few months, so I decided to re-read some of my favorite books from the past. Been flying through all of Bukowski's novels and short story collections. A waiting room does not have the same "feel" as reading him in a bar.

Found this in an antique store the other day. Had it as a kid. Still genius. Perfect bathroom book.
s-l640.jpg

I've been doing a lot of sitting in waiting rooms the last few months, so I decided to re-read some of my favorite books from the past. Been flying through all of Bukowski's novels and short story collections. A waiting room does not have the same "feel" as reading him in a bar.

Found this in an antique store the other day. Had it as a kid. Still genius. Perfect bathroom book.
s-l640.jpg
My Mom picked that same Treasury from a garage sale/thrift store for me a few years ago and as you said, it’s brilliant. If you’re into Peanuts, a good follow on Twitter is Luke Eppling, he does some deep dives into the strips and Schulz articles and interviews.

I've restarted Wheel of Time again in prep of the TV series

I also started rereading the books as my kids have gotten into it. At the time, I also wondered why they needed to stretch The Hobbit to a trilogy. But having reread it, I can see why. Tolkien races through a lot of events in The Hobbit making it feel disjointed. He's much more disciplined in LOTR.
@Nokomis
Do you like LOTR? I love fantasy and my unpopular opinion is always these books sucked. I feel like it is reading homework to get into the fantasy cool club.

@Nokomis
Do you like LOTR? I love fantasy and my unpopular opinion is always these books sucked. I feel like it is reading homework to get into the fantasy cool club.
Ha. I will say that I like them more now as an adult than as a youth. They're just so dense with all the obscure names and places that I found it hard to keep track of everything when I was younger. Watching the movies and then reading the books actually made them more enjoyable. But I am not a fantasy fan and haven't really read any fantasy besides Tolkien.

However, my children are HUGE fantasy fans. They're currently working their way through Keeper of the Lost Cities series and love it. They've also done LOTR, Harry Potter, various Rick Riordan series, among others. We like Keeper of the Lost Cities in part because of the strong female lead in a usually male-dominated genre. We also like the Rick Riordan Presents series where you get some great mythology/fantasy books that aren't Euro-central. Any other recommendations for middle grade fantasy readers?

Any other recommendations for middle grade fantasy readers?

I was a D&D nerd, so I started with a lot of those books, Icewind Dale Trilogy, Dark Elf Trilogy, Dragonlance. I re-read Dark Elf Trilogy. It is a "good" guy growing up in an evil society. It is my nostalgic fantasy read.

I am a Wheel of Time fan boy though. My kids make fun of me for re-reading 14 books about every other year :).

I never read LOTR and only read hobbit, so I was convinced it was a must read. About 5 years ago I tried, and I couldn't finish the third book.

Ha. I will say that I like them more now as an adult than as a youth. They're just so dense with all the obscure names and places that I found it hard to keep track of everything when I was younger. Watching the movies and then reading the books actually made them more enjoyable. But I am not a fantasy fan and haven't really read any fantasy besides Tolkien.

However, my children are HUGE fantasy fans. They're currently working their way through Keeper of the Lost Cities series and love it. They've also done LOTR, Harry Potter, various Rick Riordan series, among others. We like Keeper of the Lost Cities in part because of the strong female lead in a usually male-dominated genre. We also like the Rick Riordan Presents series where you get some great mythology/fantasy books that aren't Euro-central. Any other recommendations for middle grade fantasy readers?
Hi i highly recommend the Jonathan Stroud books. he is extremely accessible. The bartimaeus sequence is fantastic. Also, the Lockwood series is a ton of fun. I've read both of these. Stroud is one of my favorite authors and perfect for middle grade kids.

I just started Main Street. I'm only a few chapters in, but it already feels like compulsory reading for any Minnesotan. Some similar themes we're seeing today (e.g. universities are spreading dangerous radical ideas!).

If anyone's interested, there's a big Sinclair Lewis exhibit at the MN History Center. We visited two Sundays ago. With all the "cancel culture" going on, Sinclair Lewis seems like a good "alley" -- a supporter of women's suffrage and racial equity before there was a movement.

I get the sense people in Sauk Centre dislike Sinclair Lewis the same way people in Hibbing dislike Bob Dylan.

Early in the novel, the main character is walking around "The U" with her fiancé. In the debate on whether Minnesota or Miami can lay claim to "The U", it was at least common enough to refer to Minnesota as The U to include it in a novel written in 1920.

I just started Main Street. I'm only a few chapters in, but it already feels like compulsory reading for any Minnesotan. Some similar themes we're seeing today (e.g. universities are spreading dangerous radical ideas!).

If anyone's interested, there's a big Sinclair Lewis exhibit at the MN History Center. We visited two Sundays ago. With all the "cancel culture" going on, Sinclair Lewis seems like a good "alley" -- a supporter of women's suffrage and racial equity before there was a movement.

I get the sense people in Sauk Centre dislike Sinclair Lewis the same way people in Hibbing dislike Bob Dylan.

Early in the novel, the main character is walking around "The U" with her fiancé. In the debate on whether Minnesota or Miami can lay claim to "The U", it was at least common enough to refer to Minnesota as The U to include it in a novel written in 1920.

Ironically, Sauk Centre's mascot is The Mainstreeters - I only know this as my stepmother was a teacher there. Also famous for being the hometown of Jodie Husientruit, who was abducted and brutally killed when she was an anchor in Iowa (Cedar Rapids or Des Moines maybe??).

My reading tastes tend to run to genre and pulp novels.

I had several books in the "Fu Manchu" series by Sax Rohmer, and I recently found the rest of the books at a used bookstore in the Twin Cities, so I'm reading the entire series from start to end.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I find it entertaining.

If you're unfamiliar with the series, Dr. Fu Manchu (the villain) is a brilliant scientist whose goal is to overthrow Western culture and put the Far East in power. He is opposed by a British agent - Sir Dennis Nayland Smith. The supporting cast changes from book to book.

there have been several movie adaptations, including a pre-code movie with Boris Karloff as Fu Manchu, and a series of movies in the 60's with Christopher Lee in the title role.

the books are definitely not "woke." Lot of talk about opposing the "yellow peril" and the Asian characters are depicted in very stereotypical fashion.

Ironically, Sauk Centre's mascot is The Mainstreeters - I only know this as my stepmother was a teacher there. Also famous for being the hometown of Jodie Husientruit, who was abducted and brutally killed when she was an anchor in Iowa (Cedar Rapids or Des Moines maybe??).
Mason City. Never found her body, but likely you’re right about her death.

I’m currently reading A Lot Can Happen in the Middle of Nowhere, about the making of the movie Fargo. Very interesting.

Mason City. Never found her body, but likely you’re right about her death.

I’m currently reading A Lot Can Happen in the Middle of Nowhere, about the making of the movie Fargo. Very interesting.

Thanks for clarifying regarding Jody.

Sound interesting regarding the Fargo book.

Is it by the Cohen Brothers? Or was the writer involved with the film?

Top Bottom