Boise St. to MWC

Interesting move. I wonder if this means they think the Big XII will not fall apart?

My guess is that the MWC will pick up the remnants of the Big 12, Boise's move only makes sense if that happens. The MWC should emerge as a BCS-level conference from this, although the bottom of the conference could drag them down.

Interesting move. I wonder if this means they think the Big XII will not fall apart?

I dont know anything, but I think it could mean that the MWC is pretty sure that the Big 12 will fall apart. Adding Boise St. gives one more piece of legitimacy to the MWC's case when they give their sales pitch to Kan, KSU, ISU, Baylor, and maybe Missouri. Then again, if the Big 12 falls apart, those schools may have no choice but to join the MWC.

This has been generally agreed upon by most to be a good move for Boise St. I disagree, however. Clearly, their thought process is that a better conference SOS will compel the system to include an undefeated Boise St. (or TCU, or Utah, etc.) in the national championship game. However, they are sadly mistaken if they think forces won't conspire to favor a 1-loss BCS conference team over an undefeated MWC champ. In the short-term, all they are doing is making it harder for themselves to keep getting pity BCS bowl invites by playing a more difficult schedule. The only way non-BCS schools can better their lot is to move into a BCS conference, not trade one untenable situation for another.

If, however, the BCS actually follows throw with their automatic reclassification process (which I doubt), then forget everything I said above. If that actually comes to fruition, then brilliant move! The MWC will then be a BCS conference in a matter of years.

This is the first of what I feel will be several moves to make the MWC a BCS conference.

This has been generally agreed upon by most to be a good move for Boise St. I disagree, however. Clearly, their thought process is that a better conference SOS will compel the system to include an undefeated Boise St. (or TCU, or Utah, etc.) in the national championship game. However, they are sadly mistaken if they think forces won't conspire to favor a 1-loss BCS conference team over an undefeated MWC champ. In the short-term, all they are doing is making it harder for themselves to keep getting pity BCS bowl invites by playing a more difficult schedule. The only way non-BCS schools can better their lot is to move into a BCS conference, not trade one untenable situation for another.

If, however, the BCS actually follows throw with their automatic reclassification process (which I doubt), then forget everything I said above. If that actually comes to fruition, then brilliant move! The MWC will then be a BCS conference in a matter of years.

Agree completely with everything you said.

this move had been reported about a month ago but Bosie hadn't accepted as of yet. I don't think this has anything to with the B12 but Bosie may see the writing on the wall.

This is the first of what I feel will be several moves to make the MWC a BCS conference.

I think the BCS is officially toast. I'm not saying that the will be a tournament, at least not for a while, but the landscape will have changed so radically that there will probably need to be a new BCS created.

And in any case, the Big 12 is a BCS conference, and it is in all likelyhood going away. Someone will have to take the Big 12's position as a BCS conference. The PAC-10 isn't likely to get to count as 2 BCS conferences, not going to happen. So who else could fill it? The Sun Belt? Not a chance. The MAC? Exceedingly unlikely. C-USA, is possible, but with pulling together the best of the MAC and the WAC along with the Big 12 remnants, the MWC is the next BCS conference.

Although perhaps a name change would do them some good, can't underestimate marketing.

I kind of like this move. I hope they get more thursday night games. There are a few match ups I would enjoy watching.

If the Big 12 goes under, which looks certain, someone has to get the BCS conference status.

Anyone else think Craig Thompson might be interested in being Minnesota's next AD?

Top Bottom