Bobek to Minnesota

Awesome news! Welcome to the Gopher family.

Can someone clarify transfer rules, especially within the B1G. The ESPN article says he will have only 2 seasons left. If he played as a true freshman this year, why won't he have 3 seasons remaining if he used his redshirt year this year?

Our dear friend naturally has the first 2 comments

Can someone clarify transfer rules, especially within the B1G. The ESPN article says he will have only 2 seasons left. If he played as a true freshman this year, why won't he have 3 seasons remaining if he used his redshirt year this year?

According to bleacher report he will have 2 years remaining, I'll try and post a link

Because Bobek is transferring within the conference, he loses a year of eligibility during his transfer season. So if he played as a true frosh, his transfer year would count as his "sophomore" year of eligibility. Thus, when he's eligible to play in 2013 he will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Seems like Bobek wasn't a system fit for Meyer and may fit better in Minnesota's schemes. I wonder if this commitment will have any impact on where Hayes ends up?(guard? defensive tackle? still at center?).

Both Rivals and Scout had him as a 4 star recruit for those interested...

Sounds like a nice pick-up. Hopefully he can come in and be a two year starter for us in 2013.

Throw him in with Ed and Tom, Pirsig and Hayes and we have some stuff cooking up front.

http://hsillinois.scout.com/a.z?s=220&p=8&c=1&nid=4598282

Scout.com Player Evaluation:
STRENGTHS
Aggresiveness / Tenacity
Feet
Intelligence
AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
Size
One of the few elite linemen in the country that will enter college with experience under center, Bobek has incredibly quick hands and is able to make his snap and get his hands up before the defensive lineman has a chance to react. Very good feet enables him to stay square on his blocks or reach the second level easily. A smart interior lineman, Bobek can often be seen disengaging from a double team to pick up a delayed blitz - Scott Kennedy

Biography:
Skilled offensive lineman who was a three-year starter for Coach Mike Donatucci at Palatine's Fremd High ... U.S. Army All-American Bowl ... Parade All-America ... first team all-state from Chicago Tribune, Champaign News Gazette, Rivals, Daily Herald ... Chicago Sun-Times all-suburban Cook County ... conference champion in shot put and discus ... honor roll ... son of Jeffrey and Therese Bobek ... father was an Iowa lineman and mother played women's basketball for the Hawkeyes ... brother Jeff is a Michigan State fullback

2011 Scout.com HS Football Rankings (full list):
Pos: C Pos Rank: #1

And the Rivals eval:

On the Hoof: Huge barrel chest with the legs of a linebacker are the two most prominent physical features for this lineman. He has that thick football neck and arms the size of the average person's legs. Bobek physically will remind fans of Texas A&M lineman Patrick Lewis.
Needs Improvement: Bobek must get his hands inside when pass blocking thus gaining the advantage. He also has to watch out about lunging out while pass protecting. Has a tendency to go all the way to the ground with his opponent, by keeping his feet he could possibly throw another block, extending the play.
Most Impressive: A very powerful offensive lineman with athletic legs which allow him to explode out of his stance. He is a natural hip and knee bender that has the ability to get down field to make blocks on unsuspecting linebackers. Bobek does a nice job of winning pad level battles during run blocking.
Conclusion: Center is a tough position to just jump into straight from high school. Expect him to redshirt as he learns the offense and blitz pick-up. His athleticism is off the charts and if he has equivalent toughness expect him to be a two- to three-year starter.

Speed Blue Chip
Size Division I Player
Strength As Good As It Gets
Agility Division I Player
Foot Quickness Division I Player

Good news! Anyone know where else he was considering?

Great news!!! Gotta love this quote:

"Coaches Kill and Limegrover are exceptional coaches, and I am confident they and the rest of the staff are on the way to restoring the winning tradition of the Minnesota football program," Bobek's statement reads. "I look forward to making a contribution to Minnesota football and, once eligible, having an opportunity to achieve my personal goals as a football player. The University of Minnesota offers a quality education, and I hope to take advantage of the many opportunities of going to school in a great city like Minneapolis. Also, my family and I are happy for me to have the chance to continue to compete in the Big Ten, one of the best football conferences in the country."

Go Gophers!!

Here was the GopherHole tweet a few days ago, the visit must have gone well!

"Ohio State C Brian Bobek may transfer to a diff #B1G school and it could be the #Gophers. Hopefully his visit goes well. Keep an eye on it."

Go Gophers!!

Your question hits on the key issue here - "especially within the B1G." Under NCAA transfer rules, he would have three seasons remaining after redshirting in 2012-13. However, the Big Ten recently changed its transfer rules, which add a penalty for intraconference transfers - specifically, the loss of one year of competition eligibility. (At the same time, the Big Ten changed its existing rules that didn't allow for the intraconference transfer to be on scholarship for the first year after transfer - they now can receive aid immediately - so, if a scholarship becomes available, Bobek could be all set financially in 2012-13.)

This probably wasn't talked about as much re: Uthoff's transfer from Becky to Iowa because he had redshirted his freshman year at Wisconsin (as opposed to Bobek, who played for tOSU). He effectively loses a year of competition by transferring because of the Five-Year Rule.

So.. the five year path for Bobek could have been:
Transfer to a non-B1G school: PLAY, REDSHIRT, PLAY, PLAY, PLAY
Transfer to a B1g school: PLAY, REDSHIRT(BUT BE CHARGED AS THOUGH PLAYING VIA PENALTY), [3 YEARS LEFT TO PLAY 2 YEARS]

Whereas Uthoff was facing:
Non-B1G: REDSHIRT, REDSHIRT, PLAY, PLAY, PLAY
B1G: REDSHIRT, REDSHIRT(BUT BE CHARGED AS THOUGH PLAYING VIA PENALTY), PLAY, PLAY, PLAY

If he ends up half as good as Hamilton or Eslinger, he'll be great for the Gopher program.

I am thoroughly entertained by Eric's cute 'jabs'. Weird, they don't carry the sting they once had. Funny how much a Pig can cleanse old wounds.

I wonder if this was the 'big recruit' Coach Kill was talking about at the Business convention that Bleed posted about?

Sitting out a year, now that is not exactly right. He will have another year of strength and conditioning, he will be another year older, I believe he can attend meetings and practice. He also will have time and opportunity to adjust to the academics, getting around campus, all that. The year will fly by, it will be interesting how he uses it. Welcome, make the most of it. And establish an offensive line traditiion.

Now we just need to recruit a stud 4\5 Star running back to run behind these guys.

I find it interesting Bobek seemed to know the quality of coaching he will receive...something good is going around folks!!!

Top Bottom