Bobby Hull Dies at 84

Iceland12

Reaction score
His son Brett played for UMD. Have read it wasn't a close relationship.

Bobby Hull, the NHL Hall of Famer who was the first to score 50 goals in a single season and is considered perhaps the greatest player in Chicago Blackhawks history and among the league’s all-time best left-wingers, died Monday. the NHL Alumni Association said. He was 84.

The Original Six team for which he played 15 seasons from 1957-72 cited his “historic impact” on the club, tweeting, “The Golden Jet helped the Blackhawks win the 1961 Stanley Cup and delivered countless memories for our fans, whom he adored. Generations of Chicagoans were dazzled by Bobby’s shooting prowess, skating skill and overall team leadership.”

I was more of a casual hockey fan - but I remember it was a big freakin' deal when the WHA formed and Bobby Hull jumped from the NHL to the Winnipeg Jets of the new WHA.

(looked it up) Hull received a $1-Million signing bonus. His contract was for $250,000 for five years, and then five years in a front-office position for $100,000 a year. He was by far the biggest name to jump to the WHA. The Black Hawks went to court to try and stop Hull from leaving, but a judge ruled against them.

The next year, the Houston Aeros signed Mark and Marty Howe, and talked Gordie Howe into coming out of retirement to play on a line with his two sons, so the WHA had Hull and Howe - two of the best players in NHL history.

Bobby had that ferocious slap shot. Everybody wanted to shoot like Bobby.
RIP

I was more of a casual hockey fan - but I remember it was a big freakin' deal when the WHA formed and Bobby Hull jumped from the NHL to the Winnipeg Jets of the new WHA.

(looked it up) Hull received a $1-Million signing bonus. His contract was for $250,000 for five years, and then five years in a front-office position for $100,000 a year. He was by far the biggest name to jump to the WHA. The Black Hawks went to court to try and stop Hull from leaving, but a judge ruled against them.

The next year, the Houston Aeros signed Mark and Marty Howe, and talked Gordie Howe into coming out of retirement to play on a line with his two sons, so the WHA had Hull and Howe - two of the best players in NHL history.
The jump to the WHA cost him a spot on Team Canada in the Summit Series vs USSR.

His son Brett played for UMD. Have read it wasn't a close relationship.
During the time Brett was at UMD I am sure the father/son relationship was contentious. I think they got along fine in adulthood.

Speaking or Bobby and (the Golden) Brett is there any better father/son combo in North American pro-sports? Lots of good ones where one was really good and the other "all time great" (ie Bonds, Griffeys, Mannings, Currys, Howes), but both Hulls are no doubt about it HoFers.

Every time I read a story about the great Bobby Hull, I kept hearing about his shot and how powerful it was. I have no idea how the goalie could prepare for a game then when they didn't wear face masks and knowing that Hull would be on ice.

During the time Brett was at UMD I am sure the father/son relationship was contentious. I think they got along fine in adulthood.

Speaking or Bobby and (the Golden) Brett is there any better father/son combo in North American pro-sports? Lots of good ones where one was really good and the other "all time great" (ie Bonds, Griffeys, Mannings, Currys, Howes), but both Hulls are no doubt about it HoFers.
He'll if a hockey player, but reportedly a bad drunk and a wife beater.

I

Man o' War and War Admiral?

Yeeeaahh... I had forgotten about his pro eugenics interview. Fuck him.

Copy and paste of an article that was in today's Minneapolis Paper. I get why Frink says, "Fuck him."

Though mostly in the news for his achievements on the ice, he was charged with assault and battery of his wife, Deborah, at his metro Chicago home in 1986. Twelve years later, Hull told the Moscow Times that “Hitler, for example, had some good ideas. He just went a little bit too far.” He later claimed that the interviewer misinterpreted Hull’s translation. A 2002 ESPN documentary detailed further allegations of spousal abuse, womanizing, drinking, ignoring his children and suggestions of racist views.

In February 2022, the Blackhawks announced Hull would cease serving as a team ambassador.

Wasn’t aware of that stuff.
He was kind of like the Bob Feller of the slap shot.

lots of athletes have not been nice people.

Ty Cobb once went into the stands during a game and beat up a fan who had been heckling him. the fan he beat up was handicapped.

Cobb was still a great athlete. he was just a miserable SOB as a human being.

you can admire the athletic accomplishments without condoning their personal behavior.

Yeah by all accounts Bobby Hull was not a great guy.
Hell he even skipped his sisters funeral. With that said he was one of my idols growing up. He and Mr Hockey is why I wore number 9 throughout my career

lots of athletes have not been nice people.

Ty Cobb once went into the stands during a game and beat up a fan who had been heckling him. the fan he beat up was handicapped.

Cobb was still a great athlete. he was just a miserable SOB as a human being.

you can admire the athletic accomplishments without condoning their personal behavior.
Yeah I can appreciate separating the artist from the art up to a point, particularly if it's a one time or short term issue. I just seems Hull was waaaay beyond that.

When Kobe showed up at the Forum late due to the court appearance. The fans gave him a standing ovation.

Yeah I can appreciate separating the artist from the art up to a point, particularly if it's a one time or short term issue. I just seems Hull was waaaay beyond that.

I think it's very, very good that we don't know more about a lot of our athletes. We would be extremely disappointed in a lot of cases. Even our beloved Puck wasn't immune

We live in a time where some people decide what sports figures and entertainers they like and don't like based on their political beliefs. Nobody should then be surprised that people decide to like or dislike players based on what they are like off the ice, field, court etc.

Older brother was a Sheriff's Deputy in Los Angeles. Younger brother was State Trooper whose territory included Bloomington, Eagan etc. They both had stories of the escapades of drunken celebrities. Actors in L.A. and North Stars and Vikings in Minnesota.

Since this thread was about Hull, I was an usher for the Minnesota Fighting Saints when I was a. Freshman in College. Saw NHL stars Mike "Shakey" Walton, Gordie Howe, Dave Keon and yeah Bobby Hull.

Hull was a great, great player on the ice and a pretty horrible person off of it.

Last edited:

I think it's very, very good that we don't know more about a lot of our athletes. We would be extremely disappointed in a lot of cases. Even our beloved Puck wasn't immune
Puck is another great example of a shitty person who for some reason has gotten a free pass for his behavior.

We live in a time where people decide what sports figures and entertainers they like and don't like based on their political beliefs. Nobody should then be surprised that people decide to like or dislike players based on what they are like off the ice, field, court etc.

Older brother was a Sheriff's Deputy in Los Angeles. Younger brother was State Trooper whose territory included Bloomington, Eagan etc. They both had stories of the escapades of drunken celebrities. Actors in L.A. and North Stars and Vikings in Minnesota.

Since this thread was about Hull, I was an usher for the Minnesota Fighting Saints when I was a. Freshman in College. Saw NHL stars Mike "Shakey" Walton, Gordie Howe, Dave Keon and yeah Bobby Hull.

Hull was a great, great player on the ice and a pretty horrible person off of it.
Disguising a lot of these things as political beliefs is pretty disingenuous. Nobody is choosing to dislike celebrities based on where they stand on fiscal policy.

Disguising a lot of these things as political beliefs is pretty disingenuous. Nobody is choosing to dislike celebrities based on where they stand on fiscal policy.

Fiscal policy?:ROFLMAO: Forgot to put "some" people in there. Though it was clarified in the very next sentence.

"Disguising a lot of these things as political beliefs is pretty disingenuous." That's what you got out of that post huh? Okay..

Here's the part that you missed "

Nobody should then be surprised that people decide to like or dislike players based on what they are like off the ice, field, court etc.

Hull was a great, great player on the ice and a pretty horrible person off of it."

Last edited:

Top Bottom