Bob Nielson

go4fan

Reaction score
A few of you have mentioned his name and I have mixed feelings about him. I am a UMD alum and still follow the FB program and he is a terrific coach. He took over a team that went 4-6 in 2007 and led them to an undefeated national champoinship season in 2008. He is all about pounding the rock and his teams are STELLAR defensively. He is such a better coach then Brewster it is laughable. That being said I would bet my house that he will never be brought up in the conversation.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/teams-football.php?page=coaching

They won't go with a guy that doesn't have D1 recruiting connections. There are going to be no gambles this next go. We might still hire a bad coach, but he'll have the right resume.

I would love the guy, despite his lack of D1 recruiting connections.. That's why you give him money to hire the right guys to do that for him. We need a coach that will coach up the talent and put numbers in the W column. The more he would win, the more credibility he would gain. Which leads to respect and learning curve flattening out.

HC's don't do a whole lot of "coaching". They manage the people who do a lot of coaching. They are motivational administrators.

Yeah.. Well considering he's won a D2 National Championship.. I'm sure he's done both coaching and motivational administrating. =)

They just won't go with unproven. Nielsen is proven to take the next step, or maybe two. But he needs to have a D1 staff and D1 recruiting experience. we learned our lesson with Brewster. I'm still hoping for a turn around so we don't have to worry about it, but it seems pretty doubtful.

It takes alot to win at this level. I hope we've learned that you have to be good at everything, not just one phase. hiring the anti-brewster is not going to get us to another level, it will just get us to the anti-anti-brewster in another four years. We have to stop that cycle.

They just won't go with unproven. Nielsen is proven to take the next step, or maybe two. But he needs to have a D1 staff and D1 recruiting experience. we learned our lesson with Brewster. I'm still hoping for a turn around so we don't have to worry about it, but it seems pretty doubtful.

It takes alot to win at this level. I hope we've learned that you have to be good at everything, not just one phase. hiring the anti-brewster is not going to get us to another level, it will just get us to the anti-anti-brewster in another four years. We have to stop that cycle.

My thoughts minus the rage blackout.

D-II is closer to D-III than to D-IAA.

How so? I completely disagree. At DII you are managing scholarship players, running required workouts, recruiting more on a national level, etc. When Neilson took over at UMD they could use 35 scholarships, now when the NCC folded they are running at about 24 scholarships. DIII is running with 0 scholarships.

Brian Kelly was a D-II coach seven years ago. An Orange Bowl, a Sugar Bowl, and a helluva record now has him walking in college football's most hallowed halls as head coach.

Now, he cut his D-I teeth for a few years at Western Michigan before getting a BCS job at Cincy and parlaying that into the ND gig.

All that said, I just can't see any way that Bob Nielson will get a serious look. Too risky.

Brian Kelly was a D-II coach seven years ago. An Orange Bowl, a Sugar Bowl, and a helluva record now has him walking in college football's most hallowed halls as head coach.

Now, he cut his D-I teeth for a few years at Western Michigan before getting a BCS job at Cincy and parlaying that into the ND gig.

All that said, I just can't see any way that Bob Nielson will get a serious look. Too risky.

At Central Michigan. Agree this guy is too risky.

There is no guaranteed model for hiring a successful football coach. There isn't anyone who's good at everything that is available to us. You have to take a leap of faith in some respect. We definitely need:
1) A good coach, good organizer, good at teaching execution. Brew is too much rah rah, rah rah speeches don't win games.
2) Someone with a personality that fits with the TC people and media. Mason was good at this as well as Lou, Brew is not. If you can win over the people here and media, the local players will come as well. Need to be charismatic in some way. Brew just rubs most people here the wrong way. They'd probably love his schtick in Texas.

Anyone that thikns the U would hire this guy are off their rocker. Forget it. No way. No how. The next coach needs to be a proven coach. Enough of the hiring guys with no Div 1 experience.

Top Bottom