Bob Kravitz To the Rescue! (of Jim Souhan) - Indy Star Columnist weighs in on Kill

Gopher Bandanna Guy

Irascible Skeptic
Reaction score
Looks like one of Mr. Souhan's colleagues has decided to weigh in on the unfair response many of us have directed at him. An astonishing column really, in that it fails to actually link Souhan's column or address any of his awful one-liners. I guess we should be proud of Souhan because he crusaded against the politically correct mob (and cult of Gopher fans) and brought this topic to our attention. Never mind that the column had the tact and sensitivity of rhino stampede.

Here's the link if you absolutely must click

But I've copied and pasted here below if you'd like to spare the Indy Star the clicks:

The University of Minnesota’s football coach, Jerry Kill, has had four epileptic seizures in three years since he took over the Gophers program, either during or after the last 16 home games.

But incredibly, it’s Jim Souhan, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s columnist, who’s under fire these days from readers and even from his own gutless editor.

See, Souhan, as solid and thoughtful a columnist as there is in the country, wrote that something needs to be done here, namely Kill being fired or Kill resigning.

“The whole thing has been fascinating,” said Souhan, who has received thousands of responses, most of them angry. “We live in a divided world, the journalistic perspective and the fan perspective, but this came in sharper contrast than I’m used to. I’ve gotten a lot of support from people in our business, but the fans are calling for me to be strung up.”

Here, in part, is what he wrote:

“How can a school continue to employ a football coach who has had four seizures during or after the 16 home games he has coached at the school, along with an unknown number of seizures away from the public eye? His latest epileptic seizure, suffered on Saturday, evokes sympathy for him and his family. He appears to be a good man earnestly trying to elevate a woeful program while searching for ways to manage his disease.

“Even those who admire him most can’t believe that he should keep coaching major college football after his latest episode. Either the stress of the job is further damaging his health, or his health was in such disrepair that he shouldn’t have been hired to coach in the Big Ten in the first place.

“Kill’s case is sad. He did good work his entire life to reach a position that his system can no longer handle.”

I would have written precisely the same thing.

Does that make me insensitive? An ogre? A lout?

Don’t answer that.

OK, I’ll answer that.

No, it doesn’t.

But that didn’t stop the Star-Tribune’s editor from caving to public pressure and penning an apology in a letter to selected readers and advertisers (it was later leaked to a media website). It’s one thing to disagree with your columnist; if memory serves, our former editor-in-chief wrote a column disagreeing with my Tony Dungy-as-hypocrite piece, and that’s fine. We don’t all think in lockstep.

But an apology?

That’s an invertebrate move.

If my newspaper did that to me, I’d walk out the door.

At this point, you’re looking at the writer of this column and thinking, “You’ve got heart disease. You’ve had two heart attacks, have seven stents in your shriveled-up little heart. Should The Star fire you the next time it happens, heaven forbid?”

I would say this: If my health problems consistently affected my work performance — if I was consistently having these issues while on the job — I would understand it completely. Heck, I would probably walk away, find a livelihood that had less deadline pressure.

The point is, Kill has had to be carted off the field three times in three years. He had a fourth seizure immediately after a postgame news conference. That is sadly and unfortunately unacceptable. What if Minnesota is in a close game in the fourth quarter of a big game and suddenly Kill goes down for the count? How often can Minnesota go to Plan B? Why should it have to?

I have great admiration for Kill. He has overcome cancer. He has become a spokesman for epilepsy, talking to kids about chasing their dreams despite their issues with epilepsy. In many ways, he has become a hero.

I get all that.

But something needs to be done. And Kill, who spoke at length about his situation earlier this year, seemed to recognize that in a Star-Tribune article Aug. 11.

“The worst thing that’s ever happened to me is the Michigan State situation (when he had a seizure in the locker room at halftime during a game last season and couldn’t coach the second half),” he said. “You can’t be the head football coach and miss half of a game. I mean, I’m not stupid, I realize that.

“If I was doing those things, the university wouldn’t have to fire me. I’d walk away if I didn’t think I could do it.”

I was hoping Kill would talk about the latest health issue in Tuesday’s Big Ten teleconference, but he made it clear during his opening statement he would not be responding to health-related questions. Which, after all, is the elephant in the room.

Nobody is suggesting that an epileptic can’t pursue his or her dreams. But there are certain things you can’t do — like drive, which Kill can’t do — when you’re beset by this disease. Every week, Kill has players and coaches counting upon him to be there, to be healthy.

Sadly, that hasn’t been the case, and likely won’t be the case in the future.

They can paint Souhan as the heavy here, but he’s only saying what needs to be said, what very few others in the media are willing to say for fear of being looked upon as insensitive or politically incorrect.

“This is the harshest blowback I’ve ever experienced in my career,” Souhan said.

I would have written the same thing.

And yeah, not surprisingly, I did fire off a letter to Mr. Kravitz and his editors - why not? It took all of 5 minutes to modify and streamline my letter to the Strib for these purposes. Here it is:

Mr. Kravitz,

I found it unfortunate that you felt the need to weigh in on the conversation regarding University of Minnesota Head Football Coach Jerry Kill that has unfolded in the Twin Cities over the past few days. Unfortunate not because you don’t have right to weigh in on this sensitive topic (you certainly do), but rather because you decided to primarily use your column in some kind of ill-conceived defense of your colleagues (Jim Souhan). And you did so by misrepresenting what he wrote by the very deliberate act of omission. I’ll note that you failed to even provide a link to the full article, and (presuming you read the entire column) cherry-picked out the less offensive quoteables, while leaving the truly awful ones behind.

Do you find statements such as, “Kill suffers a seizure on game day as the coach of the Gophers at TCF Bank Stadium exactly as often as he wins a Big Ten game. He’s 4-for-16 in both categories” or “No one who buys a ticket to TCF Bank Stadium should be rewarded with the sight of a middle-aged man writhing on the ground” appropriate? Presumably you must, as they weren’t quote-worthy in your column. The former is arbitrary. And the latter is ridiculous, considering tens of thousands of people come to a football stadium knowing that there is a real possibility someone may be carted off paralyzed or with their brains scrambled. These statements are not thoughtful or useful in propagating real discussion. Especially when directed at a man who struggles to maintain normalcy in his demanding work and personal routines, all while remaining a respected public figure.

There is no doubt, that Mr. Souhan’s overarching question that was being asked was appropriate and thought-provoking (Is Kill healthy enough to fulfill his duties in leading a NCAA FBS team?). However, in his typical writing style, Mr. Souhan can’t help but bury the meaningful question beneath a wave of inappropriate snark, disrespect to those who struggle with epilepsy every day, and uninformed conclusions. This isn’t new to Souhan’s columns, not by a long stretch. Please be clear on one thing. The backlash Jim Souhan has deservedly endured has little to do with the question he raised. It has everything to do with this tone and tact in raising it. There is a reason that Souhan’s column is being accosted, while Greg Doyel’s national column was not.

In closing, perhaps next time you feel the need to comment on the response of others towards a colleague’s column, you’ll have the fairness to let your readers have the full context of the situation, and not intentionally misrepresent the situation. You’ve embarrassed yourself and your employer.
Sincerely,
Jon Tortomasi

Hmmm. Bobby Kravitz seemed to forget to put the nice little digs that his 'boy' Souhan put in his column. Those were conveniently left out. That is how it works I guess.

What a load of *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Souhan can't be bothered to answer some of the questions asked of him, so he goes running off to a buddy to make sure he has his back.

“Even those who admire him most can’t believe that he should keep coaching major college football after his latest episode."

And has anyone identified "those" that have been quoted saying this?

He lost all credibility when he decided not to include the comments by Souhan that people were truly upset about. How do you back a colleague's controversial stance without actually acknowledging what started the controversy?

Kravitz was a good choice. He's had a LOT of experience trying to explain idiotic moves and outbursts. He's been Bobby Knight personal media apologist for years now. No reason to throw logic or facts at him. He's had plenty of experience ignoring them. :)

"If my newspaper did that to me, I’d walk out the door."

If only Souhan had the same "integrity"...

Thank God someone at the Indianapolis Star has spoken out about this horrible atrocity that is poor Jim Souhan being pilloried for his brave journalistic integrity. This should surely set the record straight, what with the Star's massive national readership.

Good response, although some of the verbs and subject-object structure don't agree, which is too bad because I'd love to see them print this in their paper.

Good response, although some of the verbs and subject-object structure don't agree, which is too bad because I'd love to see them print this in their paper.

Sorry man, I don't have access to an editor for any of my non-client related writing. I get pretty excited when I find a chance to write something that isn't a technical report or scope of work, probably the cause for my grammar hoo-ha.

Way to cherry pick the most neutral and least disgusting parts of the column.
10 bucks says this is another one of Souhan's buddies.

It's not the conversation, it's the tone and insulting bigotry intermingled in the article.

Oh and I had to laugh at his opener "See, Souhan, as solid and thoughtful a columnist as there is in the country" that right there makes this a satire piece.

I also disagree with the notion many sportswriters carry with them that their "journalistic perspective" must be separate and away from a fan perspective. That's just a license for them to be jackoffs and stir up controversy.

If this guy has actually had the heart work done he claims, then he's in the EXACT spot Kill is. The EXACT spot.

This ahole SHOULD walk out the door, as should Souhan.
I'm seriously getting sour on sports media.

ESPN Blog: Grant from San Francisco writes: I would like to talk about Minnesota. I have had many seizures, so I can relate to Jerry Kill's zeal to power through and not let his health issues prevent him from chasing his dreams and improving Minnesota's program. As seizure sufferers, we do not want to be socially/professionally crippled by something that is so far out of our control. However, at what point does Minnesota draw the line? My family has experienced my seizures, and I can guarantee you that in the minutes or hours after one occurs, there is no emotional or mental normalcy to be had by anyone involved. It is disruptive, intense, draining, and scarring to witness something like that. While I fully support Kill's desire to persevere through the circumstances, at what point does Minnesota relegate him strictly to the coaching box, or remove him completely? Or would that be a PR nightmare that they would rather avoid, at the potential cost of wins, recruits, etc.?

Brian Bennett: Grant, thanks for the note and your perspective on the matter. I wish nothing but the best for coach Kill and admire his courage. He is raising a lot of awareness for people with epilepsy. His assistants and players also deserve credit for battling through and supporting their coach. Where I think this becomes a problem is if it repeatedly happens during games and Kill is not able to finish them. If your head coach can't stay on the sidelines to coach the games, that's an obvious problem. I also think Kill is well aware of this and would be the first one to know when it was time to walk away. He said on Tuesday that coaching from the press box wouldn't make any difference with his condition. Let's hope he can figure this thing out.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/84205/big-ten-wednesday-mailbag-7

Go Gophers!!

Sorry man, I don't have access to an editor for any of my non-client related writing. I get pretty excited when I find a chance to write something that isn't a technical report or scope of work, probably the cause for my grammar hoo-ha.

Fair enough. Let's hope they have the guts to print it.

ESPN Blog: Grant from San Francisco writes: I would like to talk about Minnesota. I have had many seizures, so I can relate to Jerry Kill's zeal to power through and not let his health issues prevent him from chasing his dreams and improving Minnesota's program. As seizure sufferers, we do not want to be socially/professionally crippled by something that is so far out of our control. However, at what point does Minnesota draw the line? My family has experienced my seizures, and I can guarantee you that in the minutes or hours after one occurs, there is no emotional or mental normalcy to be had by anyone involved. It is disruptive, intense, draining, and scarring to witness something like that. While I fully support Kill's desire to persevere through the circumstances, at what point does Minnesota relegate him strictly to the coaching box, or remove him completely? Or would that be a PR nightmare that they would rather avoid, at the potential cost of wins, recruits, etc.?

Brian Bennett: Grant, thanks for the note and your perspective on the matter. I wish nothing but the best for coach Kill and admire his courage. He is raising a lot of awareness for people with epilepsy. His assistants and players also deserve credit for battling through and supporting their coach. Where I think this becomes a problem is if it repeatedly happens during games and Kill is not able to finish them. If your head coach can't stay on the sidelines to coach the games, that's an obvious problem. I also think Kill is well aware of this and would be the first one to know when it was time to walk away. He said on Tuesday that coaching from the press box wouldn't make any difference with his condition. Let's hope he can figure this thing out.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/84205/big-ten-wednesday-mailbag-7

Go Gophers!!

There is no way "Grant" is real. He would not limit himself, so why would he limit someone else? Pure fallacy and fabrication. Way to check your source, Brian.

Kravitz said in the comments that "Jim wrote in his blog that he regretted one or two lines in the column, which was the smart and right thing to do".

Um, no he didn't.

Ms. Carpenter made sure he knows that.

Bob's appeared on 1500 with Judd and Jim in the past. Jim and bob have also exchanged tweets in the past. Definitely a "hey, could ya help me out" scenario.

The further we get from the article the more folks forget about the full context. Unfortunate, but the lines are already blurred in many cases. Likely time to move on - likely what Kill wants too. Go Gophers!

Wow, I wonder what sort of dirt Souhan has on this guy. Unbelievable!

And yeah, not surprisingly, I did fire off a letter to Mr. Kravitz and his editors - why not? It took all of 5 minutes to modify and streamline my letter to the Strib for these purposes. Here it is:

Mr. Kravitz,

I found it unfortunate that you felt the need to weigh in on the conversation regarding University of Minnesota Head Football Coach Jerry Kill that has unfolded in the Twin Cities over the past few days. Unfortunate not because you don’t have right to weigh in on this sensitive topic (you certainly do), but rather because you decided to primarily use your column in some kind of ill-conceived defense of your colleagues (Jim Souhan). And you did so by misrepresenting what he wrote by the very deliberate act of omission. I’ll note that you failed to even provide a link to the full article, and (presuming you read the entire column) cherry-picked out the less offensive quoteables, while leaving the truly awful ones behind.

Do you find statements such as, “Kill suffers a seizure on game day as the coach of the Gophers at TCF Bank Stadium exactly as often as he wins a Big Ten game. He’s 4-for-16 in both categories” or “No one who buys a ticket to TCF Bank Stadium should be rewarded with the sight of a middle-aged man writhing on the ground” appropriate? Presumably you must, as they weren’t quote-worthy in your column. The former is arbitrary. And the latter is ridiculous, considering tens of thousands of people come to a football stadium knowing that there is a real possibility someone may be carted off paralyzed or with their brains scrambled. These statements are not thoughtful or useful in propagating real discussion. Especially when directed at a man who struggles to maintain normalcy in his demanding work and personal routines, all while remaining a respected public figure.

There is no doubt, that Mr. Souhan’s overarching question that was being asked was appropriate and thought-provoking (Is Kill healthy enough to fulfill his duties in leading a NCAA FBS team?). However, in his typical writing style, Mr. Souhan can’t help but bury the meaningful question beneath a wave of inappropriate snark, disrespect to those who struggle with epilepsy every day, and uninformed conclusions. This isn’t new to Souhan’s columns, not by a long stretch. Please be clear on one thing. The backlash Jim Souhan has deservedly endured has little to do with the question he raised. It has everything to do with this tone and tact in raising it. There is a reason that Souhan’s column is being accosted, while Greg Doyel’s national column was not.

In closing, perhaps next time you feel the need to comment on the response of others towards a colleague’s column, you’ll have the fairness to let your readers have the full context of the situation, and not intentionally misrepresent the situation. You’ve embarrassed yourself and your employer.
Sincerely,
Jon Tortomasi

Thanks for taking the time to write. Well done and much appreciated.

Reading the comments section gives me hope for the future.

Bob's appeared on 1500 with Judd and Jim in the past. Jim and bob have also exchanged tweets in the past. Definitely a "hey, could ya help me out" scenario.

I imagine it went something like this:

Hey Kravy, I need you to do me a solid. Remember that night on Bourbon Street when I bailed out your sorry azz in the CF of a situation? Boy that was ugly and would have been a lot worse but for, well, you know. Well, what happened that night is nothing compared to the jam I got my dumbazz in up here in the Tundra. You see, the hole I dug is so deep I’m well on my way to being fluent in Chinese. See, what I did was this... I'll just send you the link. (a couple of minutes later) I know, I know. Butt ugly would be putting it mildly. Anyway, I really, really need you to conjure up some serious, over-the-top B.S. on my behalf. I’ll forever buy you beer and spot you in the weight room!
You will?!? Kravy, you’re the best. In fact, I’m going to pull all 12 of my dating service ads and save myself for my hero.
Peace Out,
Jimmy

It probably didn't help Kravitz's credibility either in Indy or with Gopher fans when he mentioned his history in writing a column ripping Tony Dungy.

Just read through the comments section. Nice work Tami!

I understand if people don't want to give him a click, but I am posting the link again in case anyone wants to read it and the comments which follow. Spoiler alert, Kravitz' "commentary" was about as well received as Souhan's original piece. Anyone know Tami Carpenter? She's tearing him apart.

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...075/?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|p

Tami Carpenter · University of St. Thomas
Boy Jim must be a REALLY good friend or the Journalism program you both graduated from doesn’t have and ethics, integrity or diversity program course requirement. Too bad your editors didn’t confirm the facts in your story they may be writing the same apology. I know I’ll be asking for one in my next letter. Jim Souhan’s editors “caved” because nearly 90% of the people who responded also cancelled their paper subscriptions. Some of us have integrity and we won’t support a business that doesn’t share that view. I promptly took my $250 refund and wrote a $500 donation check to the U of M – in HONOR of Coach Jerry Kill. I’ll do the same each quarter I don’t have a subscription and I won’t have one until Jim Souhan is GONE.

Jim Souhan is suffering the “harshest blowback” he’s ever experienced because he didn’t write the “c...aring” article your commentary implies he wrote. In addition and worst of all, neither you or Jim have the right to imply someone should lose their job due to a medical condition when their performance is NOT lacking, it’s spot on this far.

Let’s first review “your version” of Jim’s story and the REAL ONE to see if your readers will share your “surprise” at the editor’s response or why poor Jim is suffering such a “blowback”:

1. He did write “how can a school employ ….”, but you so carefully left out the paragraphs before that one that contained the following: “That’s not how it worked on Saturday….where the U of M’s football program, and by extension the entire school, became the subject of pity and ridicule.” Really? We’re pitied and ridiculed because we’ve employed someone with a health condition? Maybe we should tell pregnant women to only wear black so they look smaller. We wouldn’t want people to ridicule them for their size would we? Maybe we should tell Michael J Fox he better not return to TV; we’ll surely ridicule his shaking won’t we?

Funny how your version didn’t have this insulting comment did it? How’s your buddy Jim looking now? I have 2 degrees and an MBA from the University of Minnesota and I can tell you I’m DAMN PROUD my alma mater has the integrity to hire and judge on performance versus someone’s health condition.

2. Oh but it gets better…..the comment above was mild…..The second one you so carefully skipped was his comparison of the number of game day seizures to the number of big 10 team wins. The exact quote was “He’s 4 for 16 in both categories.” Oh…. you just read the compassion and caring Jim has in that one? Gosh I have NO idea why there’s such a “blowback”. Really? Surely you jest.

3. But I’ve saved the “best” (make that the WORST AND MOST INSULTING) quote of them all….funny thing you neglected to share this one with your readers……Jim must really “admire” Coach Kill with this comment: “No one who buys a ticket to TCF Bank Stadium should be rewarded with the sight of a middle-aged man writhing on the ground”. How’s Jim looking now? The man is having a medical experience but Jim feels he’s just a “middle-aged man writhing on the ground”???? AND YOU OR JIM WONDER WHY HE’S GETTING BLOWBACK??? You can’t possibly be serious can you?

Neither you or Jim were at the game Saturday – I was so let me tell you how Coach Kill’s seizure disrupted things; the left front line of the Marching band couldn’t have a perfectly straight line in the front row during their halftime performance. THAT’S IT. The team returned to the field and kicked ass in the second half! Coach Kill is like any good CEO. He’s created a well-oiled team that runs with the CEO in the office or not. Coaching football is far more than the 4 hours on game day.

Let’s look at the performance factors – current win/loss = 3-0. Oh I can already hear the comment, we haven’t played a big 10 team yet. True (see I don’t leave out the facts) but let’s just wait and see.

How do the players feel about the situation – let them tell you:
"We're used to the routine, as bad as that sounds," defensive back Brock Vereen said. "There's a sense of confidence in our staff and knowing that as bad as it may look sometimes, he's going to be fine. That's not to take away what coach Kill does with us," Vereen said. "But these coaches have been with coach for a while. We've been with coach for a while. If you were in there at halftime, you would never know there was an issue going on."

Redshirt freshman tight end Maxx Williams said he expects Kill to bounce back because he's "one of the toughest coaches I know."

"We just pretended Coach Kill was still there," senior defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman said. "Nothing changed. We've been through this before."

I could go on and on, but clearly is the message is – the players don’t miss a beat and as a parent guess what? They’re probably learning a valuable lesson in overcoming barriers in their life.

Last but not least this IS FOOTBALL but the players are students and since they all won’t make the NFL, isn’t education a factor? Here’s the Gopher facts the team recorded a 994 Academic Progress Rate (APR). This is the highest score Minnesota has ever recorded and only 10 teams have tied or beaten a score of 994 since the NCAA has made these scores available.

So, let’s see…..we’re winning, the players would walk on hot coals for this guy, they’re actually LEARNING and playing football and oh yea….. did I mention the most popular shirt on campus is one that read’s “Jerrysota”?

Maybe if poor Jim looked at the FACTS and not his personal discomfort with “seeing” people with disabilities he would understand the “blowback”. I dare your paper to share this version…….your cliff notes edition left out the “good” (NOT) parts. You and Jim should both be looking for a job.

Tami Carpenter · University of St. Thomas
Boy Jim must be a REALLY good friend or the Journalism program you both graduated from doesn’t have and ethics, integrity or diversity program course requirement. Too bad your editors didn’t confirm the facts in your story they may be writing the same apology. I know I’ll be asking for one in my next letter. Jim Souhan’s editors “caved” because nearly 90% of the people who responded also cancelled their paper subscriptions. Some of us have integrity and we won’t support a business that doesn’t share that view. I promptly took my $250 refund and wrote a $500 donation check to the U of M – in HONOR of Coach Jerry Kill. I’ll do the same each quarter I don’t have a subscription and I won’t have one until Jim Souhan is GONE.

Jim Souhan is suffering the “harshest blowback” he’s ever experienced because he didn’t write the “c...aring” article your commentary implies he wrote. In addition and worst of all, neither you or Jim have the right to imply someone should lose their job due to a medical condition when their performance is NOT lacking, it’s spot on this far.

Let’s first review “your version” of Jim’s story and the REAL ONE to see if your readers will share your “surprise” at the editor’s response or why poor Jim is suffering such a “blowback”:

1. He did write “how can a school employ ….”, but you so carefully left out the paragraphs before that one that contained the following: “That’s not how it worked on Saturday….where the U of M’s football program, and by extension the entire school, became the subject of pity and ridicule.” Really? We’re pitied and ridiculed because we’ve employed someone with a health condition? Maybe we should tell pregnant women to only wear black so they look smaller. We wouldn’t want people to ridicule them for their size would we? Maybe we should tell Michael J Fox he better not return to TV; we’ll surely ridicule his shaking won’t we?

Funny how your version didn’t have this insulting comment did it? How’s your buddy Jim looking now? I have 2 degrees and an MBA from the University of Minnesota and I can tell you I’m DAMN PROUD my alma mater has the integrity to hire and judge on performance versus someone’s health condition.

2. Oh but it gets better…..the comment above was mild…..The second one you so carefully skipped was his comparison of the number of game day seizures to the number of big 10 team wins. The exact quote was “He’s 4 for 16 in both categories.” Oh…. you just read the compassion and caring Jim has in that one? Gosh I have NO idea why there’s such a “blowback”. Really? Surely you jest.

3. But I’ve saved the “best” (make that the WORST AND MOST INSULTING) quote of them all….funny thing you neglected to share this one with your readers……Jim must really “admire” Coach Kill with this comment: “No one who buys a ticket to TCF Bank Stadium should be rewarded with the sight of a middle-aged man writhing on the ground”. How’s Jim looking now? The man is having a medical experience but Jim feels he’s just a “middle-aged man writhing on the ground”???? AND YOU OR JIM WONDER WHY HE’S GETTING BLOWBACK??? You can’t possibly be serious can you?

Neither you or Jim were at the game Saturday – I was so let me tell you how Coach Kill’s seizure disrupted things; the left front line of the Marching band couldn’t have a perfectly straight line in the front row during their halftime performance. THAT’S IT. The team returned to the field and kicked ass in the second half! Coach Kill is like any good CEO. He’s created a well-oiled team that runs with the CEO in the office or not. Coaching football is far more than the 4 hours on game day.

Let’s look at the performance factors – current win/loss = 3-0. Oh I can already hear the comment, we haven’t played a big 10 team yet. True (see I don’t leave out the facts) but let’s just wait and see.

How do the players feel about the situation – let them tell you:
"We're used to the routine, as bad as that sounds," defensive back Brock Vereen said. "There's a sense of confidence in our staff and knowing that as bad as it may look sometimes, he's going to be fine. That's not to take away what coach Kill does with us," Vereen said. "But these coaches have been with coach for a while. We've been with coach for a while. If you were in there at halftime, you would never know there was an issue going on."

Redshirt freshman tight end Maxx Williams said he expects Kill to bounce back because he's "one of the toughest coaches I know."

"We just pretended Coach Kill was still there," senior defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman said. "Nothing changed. We've been through this before."

I could go on and on, but clearly is the message is – the players don’t miss a beat and as a parent guess what? They’re probably learning a valuable lesson in overcoming barriers in their life.

Last but not least this IS FOOTBALL but the players are students and since they all won’t make the NFL, isn’t education a factor? Here’s the Gopher facts the team recorded a 994 Academic Progress Rate (APR). This is the highest score Minnesota has ever recorded and only 10 teams have tied or beaten a score of 994 since the NCAA has made these scores available.

So, let’s see…..we’re winning, the players would walk on hot coals for this guy, they’re actually LEARNING and playing football and oh yea….. did I mention the most popular shirt on campus is one that read’s “Jerrysota”?

Maybe if poor Jim looked at the FACTS and not his personal discomfort with “seeing” people with disabilities he would understand the “blowback”. I dare your paper to share this version…….your cliff notes edition left out the “good” (NOT) parts. You and Jim should both be looking for a job.

This is outstanding. Well done Tami!

Top Bottom