Bob Huggins could be in big trouble

By cancelled, you mean facing consequences for his actions, correct?
Cancel comment was in regards to someone else's post saying he wouldn't be cancelled over this.

Huggins absolutely deserves to face some consequences for what he said. It won't surprise me if he elects to step down and retire (if he isn't fired first).

It's not against the law to hate a certain group of people and call them hateful names.

He has apologized and it's West Virginia. Suspect there's no chance he's fired.
I don't care whether he's fired or not. I just know the term "cancelled" gets thrown around a lot as a substitute for facing consequences.

Cancel comment was in regards to someone else's post saying he wouldn't be cancelled over this.

Huggins absolutely deserves to face some consequences for what he said. It won't surprise me if he elects to step down and retire (if he isn't fired first).
"It won't surprise me if ..."

==

I don't have the courage to say that that will happen or that it should happen.

Easy solution, listen to the audio clip that is posted (it is less than 2 min long). He wasn't quoting anyone, and he said it twice.

I don't know what will end up happening to Huggins but in 2023 he absolutely could get cancelled for something like this.
Please do not use the term canceled, it is just an excuse for those who are clueless.

It's not against the law to hate a certain group of people and call them hateful names.

Hate to bring this up, but when the comments are combined with how West Virginia has done over the past 5 years, there is definitely is a chance he's gone.

Only 1 NCAA Tourney win in last 5 years as well as 1 above .500 winning percentage in the Big 12.

Also no idea how Huggy feels about the Transfer Portal & NIL, but even without the comments could easily see him falling into the category of well tenured coaches who have been walking away or pushed aside.

I first knew about Huggins when he was HC at U of Cincinnati.
His teams won but he was a public drunk and heavy smoker. If my memory serves me, he was picked up for DUI with a recruit in the car.
UC got a new president and took one look at Huggins and his BB program and fired him.
The fans were outraged like IN fans were when Knight was fired.
He seemed to have cleaned up his act when he surfaced at WVU.
The guy can coach but he does have his demons.
I do not care if he is fired or not.
That is up to his bosses at WVU and nothing written here is going to affect their decision.

Hate to bring this up, but when the comments are combined with how West Virginia has done over the past 5 years, there is definitely is a chance he's gone.

Only 1 NCAA Tourney win in last 5 years as well as 1 above .500 winning percentage in the Big 12.

Also no idea how Huggy feels about the Transfer Portal & NIL, but even without the comments could easily see him falling into the category of well tenured coaches who have been walking away or pushed aside.
Hmmm ... OK

When that bit is added to it -- this wasn't mentioned before -- that they might actually like to have an excuse to fire him for cause,

Then I could buy it. I agree

If he is, that will be why. Because it was an excuse. And he is still a moron.

What does the law have to do with it? Not being against the law is not justification for doing something stupid.

He is allowed to hate whoever he wants and call them hateful names as much as he wants, but he is responsible for his actions and is open to suffer the consequences of this actions. Many Universities do not want to be represented by people would make hateful statements.

My two cents is that he doesn't really hate gay people, he is just insensitive enough to let the moment of the conversation to lead him into saying a what he thought was a joke.

His teams won but he was a public drunk and heavy smoker. If my memory serves me, he was picked up for DUI with a recruit in the car.
UC got a new president and took one look at Huggins and his BB program and fired him.
That is up to his bosses at WVU and nothing written here is going to affect their decision.
Dam heavy smoking bastard. I will say for him to make such a statement is incredibly stupid.

The message? "Drugs are bad, m'kay?"
Unfortunately the "don't say homophobic slurs, especially in front of a microphone" portion of the presentation was while Huggy was in the john.

What does the law have to do with it? Not being against the law is not justification for doing something stupid.

He is allowed to hate whoever he wants and call them hateful names as much as he wants, but he is responsible for his actions and is open to suffer the consequences of this actions. Many Universities do not want to be represented by people would make hateful statements.

My two cents is that he doesn't really hate gay people, he is just insensitive enough to let the moment of the conversation to lead him into saying a what he thought was a joke.
Sure, no problem with any of this.

You do realize that WV is his Alma Mater?

The University of Cincinnati's 16-year head basketball coach Bob Huggins resigned in August 2005. After refusing to work under his existing contract

similar situation to the baseball announcer who used the "N-word" in reference to the Negro League Museum.

Honestly, I am not a big fan of cancel culture. I believe that everyone is human. People will make mistakes, and in general, they deserve a second chance to demonstrate whether they can learn from the situation and do better.

if we're going to fire everyone who makes a mistake, there are going to be a lot of people out of work. obviously, the difference in these cases is that the mistakes (assuming they were mistakes) were made in public or on the air.

similar situation to the baseball announcer who used the "N-word" in reference to the Negro League Museum.

Honestly, I am not a big fan of cancel culture. I believe that everyone is human. People will make mistakes, and in general, they deserve a second chance to demonstrate whether they can learn from the situation and do better.

if we're going to fire everyone who makes a mistake, there are going to be a lot of people out of work. obviously, the difference in these cases is that the mistakes (assuming they were mistakes) were made in public or on the air.
Well said.

I think we probably all know people who frequently use cringey language like this and, at least in my case, they are “normal” friendly people most of the time. They might even be aware enough not to use that language in most settings. But they have a bigoted side that isn’t just a mistake, and they’re not trying to be better - they are not into personal growth. Until there’s consequences. I feel like Huggins was sorry he got caught.

Read his apology. Well written, said he will accept the consequences. Not much more he can do. As the saying goes, ‘let the chips fall where they may’.

You live in the greatest country in the world protected by something called the constitution. You have the freedom to say what you want. Some will take offense, others will not.
I thought it was hilarious. But still, gotta be smarter as a public figure.

You do realize that WV is his Alma Mater?

The University of Cincinnati's 16-year head basketball coach Bob Huggins resigned in August 2005. After refusing to work under his existing contract
Huggins was given the choice to resign and take the severance package or to be fired.
He "chose" to resign.
He did have a choice but it was a very limited one.

if we're going to fire everyone who makes a mistake, there are going to be a lot of people out of work.
Yep! Like everyone. There are no flawless people.

I think we probably all know people who frequently use cringey language like this and, at least in my case, they are “normal” friendly people most of the time. They might even be aware enough not to use that language in most settings. But they have a bigoted side that isn’t just a mistake, and they’re not trying to be better - they are not into personal growth. Until there’s consequences. I feel like Huggins was sorry he got caught.
I listened to the audio clip and then general tone was Hugs is an arrogant prick and the radio guys were suck ups. They were going to laugh at anything he said. In terms of what he said, it rolled right off of his tongue, no hesitation, like he'd said it 10,000 times before.

Regarding the apology, not a chance he wrote it. That's not how he communicates. It was put together by a comms crisis team.

In terms of if he gets another chance, I have no idea. It probably depends on how he treats people at WVU behind the scenes and how much money he brings in to the athletic dept and the university. If he's good to work with internally, then latitude. If he's a PITA, he's gone.

Cancel culture = term people use when they don't want to be held accountable for their behavior.

Read his apology. Well written, said he will accept the consequences. Not much more he can do. As the saying goes, ‘let the chips fall where they may’.
Eh. Apparently the people who released the audio gave Huggins and the radio guys 3 hours to comment before releasing it and they refused. They hoped it would go away. The statement is a bit hollow if true and the radio hosts still haven't said anything that I've seen.

Apologies are always written by the PR folks. This one isn't any different.

Anyways, he's getting a $1,000,000 salary reduction, a suspension, sensitivity training, the whole 9 yards.

He made big mistake. ... now we move along, hope he learns something from it, like we all should when we make mistakes.

Top Bottom