Board of Regents vote approves contract for Ben Johnson, the Gophers new head men’s basketball coach

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

In a special meeting—the first meeting since the public announcement that Gopher Athletics Director Mark Coyle had offered the open head men’s basketball coaching position to U of M alum Ben Johnson—the University of Minnesota Board of Regents approved Johnson’s employment agreement on Wednesday.

Since the March 22 announcement Johnson has been working under a memorandum of understanding, the terms of which are largely mirrored in the Board-approved agreement. Notably, the contract is for five years, running through April 30, 2026, at a base salary starting at $1.95 million annually, which will rank 13th among 14 Big Ten head men’s basketball coaches for the coming season.

Go Gophers!!

That would have been a kick in the shorts if they had said no.

has there ever been a coaching hire that wasnt approved by the board of regents cause that would be so uncomfortable for so many people. Especially in this day and age where hires are announced weeks ahead of approval. Also, couldn’t give that extra $50k to pay BenJo $2 mil. I like it.

Reactions: Rex

has there ever been a coaching hire that wasnt approved by the board of regents cause that would be so uncomfortable for so many people. Especially in this day and age where hires are announced weeks ahead of approval...

Jimmy Williams, for Round 2 ?????

iirc, that cost the "U" a couple hundred thousand $$

has there ever been a coaching hire that wasnt approved by the board of regents cause that would be so uncomfortable for so many people. Especially in this day and age where hires are announced weeks ahead of approval. Also, couldn’t give that extra $50k to pay BenJo $2 mil. I like it.
I don’t think it’s ever failed a vote in the modern era. Tennessee football hired a coach a couple years back and before the board voted AD fired and a different coach/AD hired

Top Bottom