Bo gets extension but program will decline

Angry

Reaction score
Bo Ryan has been the most consistent coach in B1G basketball over the last 10 years and is a fixture atop the conference. All the more reason for Wisconsin to gladly extend his contract through 2017. However rough waters may lie ahead in the 2012-13 season and beyond. With the hiring of Tubby Smith 5 years ago, Fred Hoiberg 2 years ago and the resurgence of Iowa under Fran McCaffery the tri state recruiting grounds were once monopolized by Bo Ryan seem to be coming to an end with the graduation of Jordan Taylor. No Doubt Bo will still snatch up players from the region but, we are already seeing a weakening grip on the talent coming out of the area. Can Bo keep his consistent winning ways with rising programs in his back yard? I for one feel the competition has caught up with him. I predict Wisconsin to finish outside the top 4 of the B1G in the next few years.

Bo Ryan has been the most consistent coach in B1G basketball over the last 10 years and is a fixture atop the conference. All the more reason for Wisconsin to gladly extend his contract through 2017. However rough waters may lie ahead in the 2012-13 season and beyond. With the hiring of Tubby Smith 5 years ago, Fred Hoiberg 2 years ago and the resurgence of Iowa under Fran McCaffery the tri state recruiting grounds were once monopolized by Bo Ryan seem to be coming to an end with the graduation of Jordan Taylor. No Doubt Bo will still snatch up players from the region but, we are already seeing a weakening grip on the talent coming out of the area. Can Bo keep his consistent winning ways with rising programs in his back yard? I for one feel the competition has caught up with him. I predict Wisconsin to finish outside the top 4 of the B1G in the next few years.

As much as I wish this were true, I don't see Wisconsin slipping up in the next few years - at least not with Bronson Koenig and Sam Dekker coming in.

Yeah, kind of an odd time to start this thread considering the talent they have coming in. It seems like we get a half dozen of these every year though.

You forgot to mention Buzz Williams as another recent hire that is stealing recruits from Bo.

Every year the same thing...Badgers decline, Gophers are improving...

As much as I wish this were true, I don't see Wisconsin slipping up in the next few years - at least not with Bronson Koenig and Sam Dekker coming in.

Agreed. We're going to have to beat them on the floor fair and square.

Yeah can never count Bo out. He has a great class coming in. However, he lost his floor leader and best player. They will need someone to step up or they may slip back a few steps in the big ten this year. I expect we will beat them at home this year and then struggle on the road as the grinch works over the refs all game long.

It was supposed to decline this year. You are a year late. I guess we will have to wait until next year for the decline.

Just remember the name George Marshall. Everyone on this board thought Taylor was over rated, so losing him should be no problem.

It was supposed to decline this year. You are a year late. I guess we will have to wait until next year for the decline.

Just remember the name George Marshall. Everyone on this board thought Taylor was over rated, so losing him should be no problem.

my new sig. just following your lead when it comes to sigs.

6>0
18>12

that is all.....little troll boy. good night, sleep tight.

Why do people start threads like this that have a clear history of bringing trolls to the board and then complain when the trolls come? (I know OP isn't doing that here, but it happens a lot)

Can Bo keep his consistent winning ways with rising programs in his back yard?

He's already provided a definitive answer, and that answer is yes. Tubby has been here 5 years, Freddy 2 at ISU, McCaffery 2 at Iowa. ...

Iowa, Iowa State and our Gopher program have a lot more proving to do to show that we're "rising programs." The evidence has to occur on the court, year-in, year-out, before we can start comparing the Gopher program to Wisconsin's. Hate saying that, but it's the truth. For starters, it would be nice to finish with a winning B1G record and/or a top 4-5 finish. And I say that as someone who still has faith in Tubby.

How can you be a rising program coming off back to back 6-12 Big Ten seasons and zero NCAA wins in 15 years??

Beating perennial juggernauts LaSalle, Middle Tennnesee State/Tech (or whatever) and relatively mediocre BCS programs Miami and Wahington shouldn't justify red carpet treatment and talk of lucrative extensions for the coaching staff (that has regressed the past 2 seasons).

How can you be a rising program coming off back to back 6-12 Big Ten seasons and zero NCAA wins in 15 years??

Beating perennial juggernauts LaSalle, Middle Tennnesee State/Tech (or whatever) and relatively mediocre BCS programs Miami and Wahington shouldn't justify red carpet treatment and talk of lucrative extensions for the coaching staff (that has regressed the past 2 seasons).

Look to the future, or dwell on the past. If you don't see a program on the rise you're blind.

Go Gophers!

I think the point the OP was making is that in the past Bo got the best players out of Minnesota, and an occasional top player out of Iowa along with the Wisconsin talent, this provided a strong recruiting base, Tubby stopped some of the flow of Minnesota players to Wisconsin, we will only notice that difference a year from now. Bo seems to be recruiting Illinois and Ohio a little more. He hasn't dropped a beat in recruiting so far, it may not impact him at all. The next couple of years will be interesting to see how both Minnesota and Wisconsin fare.

Wishful thinking to be sure. I'd love for this to be the case, but there is no empirical evidence to support the claim that the Wisconsin "program will decline". And despite improved recruiting by Minnesota, Iowa, and ISU - Illinois is on the downswing and will conceivably open the door for Bo Ryan to swoop down to the flatlands and scoop up a few kids from Chicago in MN and IA's stead.

I think the point the OP was making is that in the past Bo got the best players out of Minnesota, and an occasional top player out of Iowa along with the Wisconsin talent, this provided a strong recruiting base, Tubby stopped some of the flow of Minnesota players to Wisconin, we will only notice that difference a year from now. Bo seems to be recruiting Illinois and Ohio a little more. He hasn't dropped a beat in recruiting so far, it may not impact him at all. The next couple of years will be interesting to see how both Minnesota and Wisconsin fare.

It's what I would call a hypothesis. It's based on observation, and it might or might not turn out to be true. If someone would have made a similar hypothesis about the Minnesota Twins two years ago (i.e. that you can't keep on winning division titles if Bill Smith continues to make blunder after blunder) they would have ended up being right. In this case it's based on recruiting grounds drying up. We'll see.

Look to the future, or dwell on the past. If you don't see a program on the rise you're blind.

Go Gophers!

I see some programs on ths rise but none of them are the Gophers....at this point.

An example of a program in the rise would be VCU or Indiana.....you know...teams that have actually accomplished something recently.

For starters, it would be nice to finish with a winning B1G record and/or a top 4-5 finish. And I say that as someone who still has faith in Tubby.

For starters, it would be nice to see Tubby be able to finish a season with a full team. Or at least without debilitating loss of players, and I say that as someone who still has faith in Tubby.

Cherry-pick much?

3 things we have been able to count on in the Grinch era:

The opinion that Wisconsin will slide back
Wisconsin trolls will be allowed to post here with impunity and not be rebuked as if that is acceptable on OUR board
Art will build upon this 4K+ posts of proving he/she is nothing but a dickhead without getting banned

I sincerely believe that we have the ability to eliminate two of the above atrocities, and I sincerely hope that karma handles the remainder.

I think the premise is more reasonably than many think.

Which program has a better chance to
Move up?

One that made the tourney and the sweet 16 (I think?) or one that finished 6-12 in the B1G? More room for the 6-12 team.

Which program has a better chance to move down?

The sweet 16 team has more room.

So if the Badgers only make the round of 32 and the Gophers go 7-11. The Gophers have improved and the badgers have declined!

Top Bottom