BlogDog pick for Air Force-Minnesota

A

AAFalcon

From the Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph: :):drink:

http://www.gazette.com/video/?videoId=39313665001&lineupId=1772834154&play=now

http://gazetteafasports.freedomblogging.com/2009/09/11/so-the-blogdogs-got-that-going-for-him-which-is-nice/2877/

So the BlogDog’s Got That Going for Him … Which is Nice

September 11th, 2009, 5:42 am · Post a Comment · posted by Jake Schaller
Disclaimer: For those who have seen the movie Caddyshack less than 237 times, the following might be difficult to follow.

Thanks,

The Management

When the BlogDog and I sat down and watched Caddyshack the other night, I figured he might feel some rapport with the one of the movie’s main stars – the gopher.

As the back yard at the BlogHouse reveals, Norm can dig with the best of them.

Then again, one of Norm’s favorite sports is golf. So to see a fantastic course like the one at Bushwood ruined by a gopher might have made him feel a kinship with another character in the movie – groundskeeper Carl Spackler. Norm, after all, has been with me on the course, so technically he’s been a looper.

A looper?

Looper. You know, a caddy. Looper, Jock.

And while he’s never jumped ship in Hong Kong, made his way over to Tibet and then caddied for the 12th son of the Lama, I could almost imagine the BlogDog trying to pump about five thousand gallons of water into a gopher hole at Bushwood.

Great big gobs of greasy, grimy gopher guts. How about a nice, cool drink, varmints? Scum! Slime! Menace to the golfing industry! You’re a disgrace. You’re varmints. You’re one of the lowest members of the food chain, and you’ll probably be replaced by the rat.

I thought Norm’s feelings about the movie might give some indication as to who he might pick this week because Air Force’s opponent this week is Minnesota. And Minnesota’s mascot is a gopher.

But who am I kidding? The BlogDog doesn’t base his picks on personal feelings, like whether he was rooting for the gopher or Carl Spackler. He selects which team he thinks will win after considering everything from key matchups to the coaches to the weather to which team is at home.

(Side Note: The BlogWife continued this week to tout her theory that “there’s no such thing as home field advantage,” even though I told her that was a direct slap in the face to me, my father and the other 55,043 fans at RFK Stadium who chanted “We Want Dallas!” on Jan. 22, 1983, prior to the NFC Championship Game.)

(Side Note to Side Note: On my list of top in-person experiences I’ve had as a sports fan, that game ranks No. 1.

Since you asked, some others in my Top 10 are the 1982 Skins-Giants game in which Mark Moseley kicked five field goals in the snow, including the game-winner from 42 yards; The 1987 NFC Championship game, when Darrell Green knocked the ball away from Darrin Nelson at the goal line to preserve a victory and a trip to the Super Bowl (and break the hearts of my friends Barry and Bryan Fagerholt – die hard Vikings fans); And, just to pile on the Fagerholt boys, the 1982 divisional playoff game when John Riggins rushed for 185 yards on 37 carries against the Vikes and then took a pair of deep bows at midfield with about a minute left.

Gus Frerotte head-butting the wall at FedEx Field to celebrate a touchdown ranks No. 5,795 – interestingly enough, the highest rank of all experiences I’ve had at that nightmare of a stadium. And, by the way, if you thought writing about these games was a surreptitious way to justify spending an hour doing “research” on YouTube … well … you’re right.)

OK, where were we?

Right, BlogDog wasn’t influenced by the movie. Even if he has been licensed to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations – BlogDog, free to kill gophers at will.

The BlogDog, as longtime readers of his work know, makes his pick by choosing between a mini-replica Air Force helmet and a mini-replica helmet of the Falcons’ opponent – best three-out-of-five. Here’s how this week’s pick unfolded.

BlogDog first went to the Minnesota helmet, probably because he thinks the crowd at the Gophers’ new home field will give them a lift. He then went to the Air Force helmet twice in a row.

But, if we learned anything from Carl Spackler, it’s that a varmint will never quit. Ever. They’re like the Viet Cong – Varmint Cong. And, sure enough, BlogDog went back to the Minnesota helmet.

You can see his final pick in a clip on The Gazette’s Air Force site (Note: Someone who viewed the video said it looks like I’m pointing to the Air Force helmet. I wasn’t. I was pointing down at both – a finger at each helmet).

His final choice? Let’s go back to Carl Spackler one more time.

“In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, ‘Au revoir, gopher’.”

Norm’s Pick: Air Force 31, Minnesota 27
Norm’s 2009 Season Record: 1-0
Norm’s Overall Record: 18-9

Share and Enjoy:

Posted in: Uncategorized You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Top Bottom