Blind Resume (Part 1)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
We've reached mid-February so that means it's blind resume time. I'll start you with what I think is an easy one. If you're the NCAA Selection Committee and you only have 1 bid left to dole out, which team would you take?

Team A
Record: 17-9
Conference Standing: tied for 3rd
vs. Top 50: 3-3
vs.Top 100: 5-4
Road/Neutral Record: 7-7
Overall SOS: 47
Nonconference SOS: 10
Last 12: 8-4
Bad Losses (RPI 101+): 5
Best 3 Wins by RPI: #38, #38, #49 (total = 125)

Team B
Record: 16-9
Conference Standing: tied for 2nd
vs. Top 50: 1-6
vs.Top 100: 6-7
Road/Neutral Record: 6-6
Overall SOS: 68
Nonconference SOS: 23
Bad Losses (RPI 101+): 2
Best 3 Wins by RPI: #19, #54, #57 (total = 130)

If you think you know who the teams are, please don't post them by name. I'll reveal the teams at 11:15, then follow with a little more difficult one (Blind Resume Part II).

I think it's clearly gotta be Team A.

We've reached mid-Febraury so that means it's blind resume time. I'll start you with what I think is an easy one. If you're the NCAA Selection Committee and you only have 1 bid left to dole out, which team would you take?

Team A
Record: 17-9
Conference Standing: tied for 3rd
vs. Top 50: 3-3
vs.Top 100: 5-4
Road/Neutral Record: 7-7
Overall SOS: 47
Nonconference SOS: 10
Bad Losses (RPI 101+): 5
Best 3 Wins by RPI: #38, #38, #49 (total = 125)

Team B
Record: 16-9
Conference Standing: tied for 2nd
vs. Top 50: 1-6
vs.Top 100: 6-7
Road/Neutral Record: 6-6
Overall SOS: 68
Nonconference SOS: 23
Bad Losses (RPI 101+): 2
Best 3 Wins by RPI: #19, #54, #57 (total = 130)

If you think you know who the teams are, please don't post them by name. I'll reveal the teams at 11:15, then follow with a little more difficult one (Blind Resume Part II).

I'd pick Team A over Team B.

Since the RPI is rubbish, I would never actually do blind resumes using the that system. But I'll play along since the committee plays along.

I'd pick team B easy. Team A has 0 marquee wins and 5, count 'em 5 bad losses It's two best wins are against the same team which isn't even ranked that high (#38). Team B has that victory against the #19 team, and only 2 bad losses.

B.

The only stat that really separates the two is the record against the RPI top 50. Since two of team B's best wins are against teams just outside the top 50, and their best win was against a top 20 team, that is a wash in my mind. B has more top 100 wins & fewer bad losses.

Its interesting you left off the RPI of these teams, SS. I'm pretty sure I know who they are anyway, so I'm guessing this was intentional?

A = Butler, B = Gonzaga

Yes, I'm leaving the RPI out so as to not sway anyone who might be inclined to favor the better RPI.

Team A is Butler, Team B is Gonzaga. Perhaps this one was a tougher call than I thought.

We'll do two more of these today, each one progressively more difficult (I think).

Yes, I'm leaving the RPI out so as to not sway anyone who might be inclined to favor the better RPI.

Team A is Butler, Team B is Gonzaga. Perhaps this one was a tougher call than I thought.

We'll do two more of these today, each one progressively more difficult (I think).

Who do you pick, Mr. Expert?

I would take Team A (Butler), but you guys made a good case for Gonzaga.

I was thinking A mainly because against decent teams (1-100 RPI) they had a +.500 record and even a .500 record against top 50. Amazing how many bad losses they have though, really kills them.

Top Bottom