Bleach Report - Why the Tubby Smith Era Should Come to an Abrupt End

Havent they been to two NCAA tournaments under Tubs? Regardless the article is not that far off, IMO...

Did a HS kid write that? Seriously? Sounds like he wrote it for his English Composition class.

Hey pimple face, if you're going to make an argument (and there are some valid points in there) at least get your facts straight. Gophers have been to two NCAAs under Tubby, not one.

He lost me the moment he didn't mention Tom Izzo along with Thad Matta and Bo Ryan. Any mention of (current) great Big Ten coaches starts and ends with Izzo.

Any "article" from Bleacher report should be discarded immediately.

Did a HS kid write that? Seriously? Sounds like he wrote it for his English Composition class.

Hey pimple face, if you're going to make an argument (and there are some valid points in there) at least get your facts straight. Gophers have been to two NCAAs under Tubby, not one.

He lost me the moment he didn't mention Tom Izzo along with Thad Matta and Bo Ryan. Any mention of (current) great Big Ten coaches starts and ends with Izzo.

+1

At least Bleacher Report is consistent. You have to give them that. I've never seen another website that is more consistent when it comes to being blatantly incorrect about key information.

Once again, bleacher report is simply a sight where anyone can post an article. No editors, fact checkers, anything. It's not a regular blog like The Daily Gopher, any one of us can post an article there so it holds no weight

Once again, bleacher report is simply a sight where anyone can post an article. No editors, fact checkers, anything. It's not a regular blog like The Daily Gopher, any one of us can post an article there so it holds no weight

Exactly, I for one can't believe 1. People post articles from BR 2. People rip apart articles posted from BR

Exactly, I for one can't believe 1. People post articles from BR 2. People rip apart articles posted from BR

Gopherhole would probably have few if any threads if people stopped critiquing the writers and writing and actually talked about the topic of the articles. I have been curious if there are more posts about Tubby, Kill, and the players, or about sportswriters on here.

I didn't read the article (I never read anything from the bleacher report) due to the same reasons already mentioned here. However, I do agree with the title of the article and feel the Tubby era has run its course. If the Gophers stub their toes to the point of falling out of the NCAA tournament, when is the last time a team has been ranked as high as 8 in mid January and then failed to make the Dance?

Grew up in Rochester, Minnesota. Graduated with a degree in Journalism at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls. Currently an announcer for Western Wisconsin High School Sports, and willing to write about whatever I feel like. Also follow me on Twitter @crishad and like me on Facebook! (Chris Schad - Writer)

That is the bio of the author of this fine piece of sports journalism. Sweet thread though.

Fine. You made me. Here are my thoughts on how to talk, and think, about the potential end of the Tubby Era http://fromthebarn.org/2013/02/12/its-time-to-talk-about-tubby/ and zipsofakron is ready to move now. http://fromthebarn.org/2013/02/18/its-time-for-tubby-smith-to-go/

I promise neither were written by a 12 year old!

Thanks FTB. I'd like to respectfully offer a comment on the second of the injury plagued 6-12 conference seasons. While in the first of the two, the injury and transfer lined up temporally with the collapse in the season, in the second season, Trevor was gone for the whole B1G season. Mbakwe's absence did not stop us from getting off to a competitive 5-6 start (which included one of very few wins at Indiana in the last few seasons). Yet we still went into that collapse that had us finishing 1-6. Yes, the second part was tougher, but those 6 losses included a loss against a NW team that we demolished in our first meeting.

When we lose a key player like Mbakwe during the out of conference season, I expect the team to steadily improve after the initial shock of losing him. We have a chance to figure out a new game plan that factors Mbakwe's injury in and the players replacing him have a chance to gain confidence and experience. Basically, we should have gotten better during the B1G season as we learned how to play with Trevor. But it didn't happen, we collapsed. So while you can fairly point out that Trevor's injury hurt the team and was outside of Tubby's control, something else was amiss.

Havent they been to two NCAA tournaments under Tubs? Regardless the article is not that far off, IMO...

2010 they made the tournament on Devoe Joseph and Monson recruits, the team leaders were:

Nolen
Hoffarber
Westbrook
Joseph
Sampson and Iverson in the middle.

2009 was mostly Monson recruits, the team leaders were.

Nolen
Hoffarber
Westbrook
Johnson

Defections, problems, etc. have had major negative impact but the fact remains that he has not even come close to winning in the B1G with his recruits, we'll see how it ends up, I've seen nothing to tell me anything is going to change, they do well against mid major NIT teams and can't compete against the B1G teams.

2010 they made the tournament on Devoe Joseph and Monson recruits, the team leaders were:

Nolen
Hoffarber
Westbrook
Joseph

2009 was mostly Monson recruits, the team leaders were.

Nolen
Hoffarber
Westbrook
Johnson

Defections, problems, etc. have had major negative impact but the fact remains that he has not even come close to winning in the B1G with his recruits, we'll see how it ends up, I've seen nothing to tell me anything is going to change, they do well against mid major NIT teams and can't compete against the B1G teams.

I agree they do poorly against the Big10, but you don't get their RPI and SOS by playing and beating mid major NIT teams.

Thanks FTB. I'd like to respectfully offer a comment on the second of the injury plagued 6-12 conference seasons. While in the first of the two, the injury and transfer lined up temporally with the collapse in the season, in the second season, Trevor was gone for the whole B1G season. Mbakwe's absence did not stop us from getting off to a competitive 5-6 start (which included one of very few wins at Indiana in the last few seasons). Yet we still went into that collapse that had us finishing 1-6. Yes, the second part was tougher, but those 6 losses included a loss against a NW team that we demolished in our first meeting.

When we lose a key player like Mbakwe during the out of conference season, I expect the team to steadily improve after the initial shock of losing him. We have a chance to figure out a new game plan that factors Mbakwe's injury in and the players replacing him have a chance to gain confidence and experience. Basically, we should have gotten better during the B1G season as we learned how to play with Trevor. But it didn't happen, we collapsed. So while you can fairly point out that Trevor's injury hurt the team and was outside of Tubby's control, something else was amiss.

Kind of like the Timberwolves have? What was amiss was Dre had a bad wheel for 6-8 weeks.

Top Bottom