Black & Gold - Big Ten power poll: Final ranking of 2021 season rosy for some

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
From Purdue Rivals site, popped up on my Yahoo homepage (yes, I'm that old). Looks respectable to me, although I may have flipped OSU and Michigan. He obviously gets that we're legit and I'm personally looking forward to a lack of RTB comments in the future. Also, he takes a nice dig at Iowa🤣

Punctuating the season with one final power poll. Where did your school finish?
1. Michigan (12-2 overall, 8-1 Big Ten): Is this one of the best teams in school annals? I'm gonna say "yes."
2. Ohio State (11-2, 8-1): Epic Rose Bowl victory lessens sting of "what could have been" season.
3. Michigan State (11-2, 7-2): Raise your hand if you're scared to death of Sparty and Mel. That's what I thought.
4. Iowa (10-4, 7-2): Help wanted: Quarterback. Must have strong arm, be accurate, poised, athletic. Email resume to [email protected]. Serious inquires only.
5. Minnesota (9-4, 6-3): P.J. Fleck is 23-10 overall (16-9 Big Ten) the last three years. Are you on board yet? (See what I did there?)
6. Wisconsin (9-4, 6-3): Bucky went 8-1 after a 1-3 start. Does anyone else know this?
7. Purdue (9-4, 6-3): Contemplate this while staring into your pint of Bass Ale at Harry's Chocolate Shop this winter: Could the Boilermakers win the West in 2022?
8. Penn State (7-6, 4-5): The Nits did not exceeded 28 points scored offensively vs. any of their 11 Power Five foes. Is that a bad thing?
9. Maryland (7-6, 3-6): Terps didn't beat one team that finished with a winning record. Look it up.
10. Rutgers (5-8, 2-7): Was that trip to the Gator Bowl worth it? Magic Eight Ball says: "Reply hazy. Try again"
11. Illinois (5-7, 4-5): Why do the football gods hate the Fighting Illini? Why?
12. Nebraska (3-9, 1-8): Is anyone ever gonna tell the Huskers they don't have any clothes on?
13. Northwestern (3-9, 1-8): I'm gonna go ahead and say it right now: 2022 will be the "Year of the Wildcat." Too bold? Nah.
14. Indiana (2-10, 0-9): Thoughts and prayers. (Praying hands emoji, too). Facebook people know I care.

From Purdue Rivals site, popped up on my Yahoo homepage (yes, I'm that old). Looks respectable to me, although I may have flipped OSU and Michigan. He obviously gets that we're legit and I'm personally looking forward to a lack of RTB comments in the future. Also, he takes a nice dig at Iowa🤣

Punctuating the season with one final power poll. Where did your school finish?
1. Michigan (12-2 overall, 8-1 Big Ten): Is this one of the best teams in school annals? I'm gonna say "yes."
2. Ohio State (11-2, 8-1): Epic Rose Bowl victory lessens sting of "what could have been" season.
3. Michigan State (11-2, 7-2): Raise your hand if you're scared to death of Sparty and Mel. That's what I thought.
4. Iowa (10-4, 7-2): Help wanted: Quarterback. Must have strong arm, be accurate, poised, athletic. Email resume to [email protected]. Serious inquires only.
5. Minnesota (9-4, 6-3): P.J. Fleck is 23-10 overall (16-9 Big Ten) the last three years. Are you on board yet? (See what I did there?)
6. Wisconsin (9-4, 6-3): Bucky went 8-1 after a 1-3 start. Does anyone else know this?
7. Purdue (9-4, 6-3): Contemplate this while staring into your pint of Bass Ale at Harry's Chocolate Shop this winter: Could the Boilermakers win the West in 2022?
8. Penn State (7-6, 4-5): The Nits did not exceeded 28 points scored offensively vs. any of their 11 Power Five foes. Is that a bad thing?
9. Maryland (7-6, 3-6): Terps didn't beat one team that finished with a winning record. Look it up.
10. Rutgers (5-8, 2-7): Was that trip to the Gator Bowl worth it? Magic Eight Ball says: "Reply hazy. Try again"
11. Illinois (5-7, 4-5): Why do the football gods hate the Fighting Illini? Why?
12. Nebraska (3-9, 1-8): Is anyone ever gonna tell the Huskers they don't have any clothes on?
13. Northwestern (3-9, 1-8): I'm gonna go ahead and say it right now: 2022 will be the "Year of the Wildcat." Too bold? Nah.
14. Indiana (2-10, 0-9): Thoughts and prayers. (Praying hands emoji, too). Facebook people know I care.
Seems like this is pretty much in line where most of the post bowl game power rankings are coming in. I would probably flip flop OSU and Michigan at the top and bump ILL and NEB ahead of Maryland and Rutgers, but outside of that this feels about right.

I wouldn't flip Michigan and OSU. Michigan beat them head-to-head, fair and square.
Imagine what GHers would do if we were the Wolverine's in this situation and people wanted to bump OSU ahead of us just because they had a good bowl game while we made the CFP, although lost in unimpressive fashion.

I wouldn't flip Michigan and OSU. Michigan beat them head-to-head, fair and square.
Imagine what GHers would do if we were the Wolverine's in this situation and people wanted to bump OSU ahead of us just because they had a good bowl game while we made the CFP, although lost in unimpressive fashion.
That's fair and I think a strong case could be made either way. In my opinion though, Ohio State is the better team of the two. Yes Michigan beat them head to head, but MSU beat Michigan head to head so that alone doesn't always prove who is the better team overall, just who was the better team on that given Saturday.

Makes for an interesting debate.

Michigan destroyed tOSU and any team that could run the ball against tOSU did well. Utah showed it, Oregon showed it, MN showed it.

If Howden and Mo don't get hurt we may have won the opener. tOSU was not the best team in the B1G this year.

Finishing 5th in BT is a very nice season. Now let's win the West.

Minnesota was better than Iowa and Michigan state a bunch of bad decisions in the redzone by the gophers helped Iowa win. I think Minnesota would beat MSU they got some breaks this year. Minnesota vs Michigan would have been a heck of a B1G championship game sad we didn’t get to see it.

Personally I think pointing out PJ is 20-6 (16-5 in B1G play) the last two full season of college football is a better stat to get people on "board" the row boat.

Personally I think pointing out PJ is 20-6 (16-5 in B1G play) the last two full season of college football is a better stat to get people on "board" the row boat.
That Covid year in the middle really hides the fact that 2019 and 2021 were very good years by Minnesota standards in terms of Big Ten play. That said, it should be 13-5 not 16-5 in conference play over those two years. 16-9 if you add in 2020.

Top Bottom