BJ Young From St Louis Area

Reaction score
Rising star in 2011 HS class. Has played very well this spring. Gophers among many (dozens) recruiting him. Switching HS in St Louis suburbs this coming season. 6-4 wing, name to remember.

Talk is that Illinois has an early lead. Not sure where he fits in yet with our future scholarship breakdown but he has nice overall skills from recent reports. Sounds like a top 50-75 kid nationally.

List update today from BJ Young, who was here last week in the Twin Cities... still questions around whether he'll be a 2011 qualifier...

http://twitter.com/CHJournal

"PG BJ Young, the No. 21 Scout.com '11 recruit, just told me his top five, in order, are: Indiana, Ark, Baylor, Marquette, Illinois State"

"He also said Prov, Purdue, Iowa have offered scholarships within the past 2 weeks, and Va. Tech has shown interest but not pulled trigger"

List update today from BJ Young, who was here last week in the Twin Cities... still questions around whether he'll be a 2011 qualifier...

"PG BJ Young, the No. 21 Scout.com '11 recruit, just told me his top five, in order, are: Indiana, Ark, Baylor, Marquette, Illinois State"

"He also said Prov, Purdue, Iowa have offered scholarships within the past 2 weeks, and Va. Tech has shown interest but not pulled trigger"

??? that has to be a typo

This guy would be an incredible pick up for the '11 recruiting class. Sounds like he's a wing making his way into the shoes of a PG. He's got a good catch and shoot and what seems like an incredible work ethic. Here's a link to what I saw of him...unfortunately the highlight reel doesn't portray him as the smartest guy, but I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTRDwZ04fYs

For the gophers? Doesn't look like we're in the picture at all

This guy would be an incredible pick up for the '11 recruiting class. Sounds like he's a wing making his way into the shoes of a PG. He's got a good catch and shoot and what seems like an incredible work ethic. Here's a link to what I saw of him...unfortunately the highlight reel doesn't portray him as the smartest guy, but I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTRDwZ04fYs

The Gophers are not recruiting him, one look at his transcripts plus some off the court issues scared them off.

The Gophers are not recruiting him, one look at his transcripts plus some off the court issues scared them off.

Thanks for the reasoning Johnny. It will be helpful when he commits to ISU and someone will come on here and rag on Tubby's incompetence because he didn't choose the U.

You weren't wrong necessarily, MN did look at him and we're recruiting him to some degree but like alot of other schools, they we're scared away with his grades and some other off court issues. After this past year with RW and TM and Devron, Tubby has no desire to recruit a kid with any baggage for the next few years, which isn't good for Carlos Emmory.

Young is an academic questionmark. He talked highly of Illinois last month, but after looking at his transcript, the UI coaches backed off since they did not think they could get him into the university. He hasn't played a lot of high school ball for various reasons but he is very talented.

Young is an academic questionmark. He talked highly of Illinois last month, but after looking at his transcript, the UI coaches backed off since they did not think they could get him into the university. He hasn't played a lot of high school ball for various reasons but he is very talented.

Regardless of all that, Young has a good chance at McDonalds HS A-A team next spring.

Maybe. He is ranked in the top 40 but MacAA's are usually top 20 types. For example, there are four players from the state of Illinois ranked higher than he is. Do you think Illinois will get four MacAA's? Anthony Davis. Wayne Blackshear. Mycheal Henry. Sam Thompson.

If Young is a MacAA, more power to him. He still needs to get himself academically eligible to play college ball, though. He does seem to have done a good job correcting the off the court problems he had in the past.

Maybe. He is ranked in the top 40 but MacAA's are usually top 20 types. For example, there are four players from the state of Illinois ranked higher than he is. Do you think Illinois will get four MacAA's? Anthony Davis. Wayne Blackshear. Mycheal Henry. Sam Thompson.

If Young is a MacAA, more power to him. He still needs to get himself academically eligible to play college ball, though. He does seem to have done a good job correcting the off the court problems he had in the past.

Young will be Top 25. Only 2 or 3 of those IL players will be.

He does not have a Purdue offer and Painter is not really recruiting him for the same reasons Johnny Gopher mentions above.

FOT, You are just guessing. Currently on Rivals, for instance, all four of those Illinois preps are ranked higher than Young. Davis is #8. Blackshear is #14. Henry is #20. Thompson is #30. Young is #33. Yes, Young has a chance to move up, but so do those other players. Davis is being talked about as the #1 player in the country these days.

All four of the Illinois preps are going to qualify. Young has a steeper hill to climb, on and off the court. There is a reason that Weber determined that Illinois could not get him into school when the kid was gushing about Illinois a month or so ago.

FOT, You are just guessing. Currently on Rivals, for instance, all four of those Illinois preps are ranked higher than Young. Davis is #8. Blackshear is #14. Henry is #20. Thompson is #30. Young is #33. Yes, Young has a chance to move up, but so do those other players. Davis is being talked about as the #1 player in the country these days.

All four of the Illinois preps are going to qualify. Young has a steeper hill to climb, on and off the court. There is a reason that Weber determined that Illinois could not get him into school when the kid was gushing about Illinois a month or so ago.

Duh. Of course we're ALL just guessing at this point.

I meant 2 or 3 will make McD A-A not qualify for frosh year.

Clipped From Lou C-J Recruiting Blog (By Jody Demling)

I tweeted on Thursday that B.J. Young was 'wow' and he proved it again on Friday, leading St. Louis Gameface into the quarterfinals of the 17s Nationals event. He had 47 points in the night game against the Long Island Lightning, scoring from a variety of different ways. He's so freaky athletic that he makes even the tough shots look good. I like Indiana's chances but still some whispers from college coaches that he'll need some work to make the grades. No matter what, Young (photo) is a player!

Clipped From ESPN (Scouts Inc)

B.J. Young (St. Louis, Mo./Hazelwood) 2011 SG 6-3, 170 | AAU team: St. Louis Game Face
Young dropped 47 points against the Long Island Lightning-Dingle in about every way possible -- in transition, he got to the rim or pulled up for the mid-range jumpers or wing 3s. In the halfcourt he used his quick first step to get to the rim and finish with great touch and body control. He beat defenders one-on-one repeatedly and when the defense recovered, he kicked out or dropped off to open teammates. Young does a great job of changing speeds and directions with the ball and he also has a great burst when being pressured. Young has really had a breakout spring and summer and coaches from Arkansas, Purdue, Southern Illinois, Baylor, Indiana, Missouri, Marquette, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State and Illinois State have all taken notice.

B.J. Young (St. Louis, Mo./Hazelwood) 2011 SG 6-3, 170 | AAU team: St. Louis Game Face
Young dropped 47 points against the Long Island Lightning-Dingle in about every way possible -- in transition, he got to the rim or pulled up for the mid-range jumpers or wing 3s. In the halfcourt he used his quick first step to get to the rim and finish with great touch and body control. He beat defenders one-on-one repeatedly and when the defense recovered, he kicked out or dropped off to open teammates. Young does a great job of changing speeds and directions with the ball and he also has a great burst when being pressured. Young has really had a breakout spring and summer and coaches from Arkansas, Purdue, Southern Illinois, Baylor, Indiana, Missouri, Marquette, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State and Illinois State have all taken notice.

Still no interest from MN due to academic/character concerns? This guy sounds and looks amazing in the vids I've seen of him...

BJ Young to Arkansas. For now.

Clipped from Hoopmasters article:

"It just felt like my home away from home," Young said. " I loved the coaches, the team, and the fans. It just felt right to me."

It doesn't hurt that his mom is from Arkansas, as he has plenty of friends and family who will be in Fayetteville to see him play in the future.

Duh. Of course we're ALL just guessing at this point.

I meant 2 or 3 will make McD A-A not qualify for frosh year.

No s#$%, Sherlock. But some of our "guesses" are more educated than others (yours). And many of us go about it with more class.

Since I'm not one of those, allow me to call you a freaking knob for the tenth time.

No s#$%, Sherlock. But some of our "guesses" are more educated than others (yours). And many of us go about it with more class.

Since I'm not one of those, allow me to call you a freaking knob for the tenth time.

Sorry, but I'm correct - 2 or 3 of the IL preps WILL make McDonalds A-A team in 2011.

Top Bottom