Bill Self, Kansas Agree to Lifetime Contract: 'No Other Place I'd Rather Be'

MisterGopher

Reaction score
From Bleacher Report
Article

The University of Kansas and head men's basketball coach Bill Self agreed to a lifetime contract Friday.

According to the announcement on KUAthletics.com, the contract replaces Self's current deal, which was set to expire next year. The new contract is a five-year rolling agreement that will add one year on at the end of each season for the rest of Self's career.

Did not know that was a thing!

If you have no desire to try the NBA, or take on a new challenge, etc. and you've reached a blue blood ... makes sense.

Assuming the coach can still decide to leave or be fired, etc., why aren't all contracts just done like this? Maybe they will be.

Sounds like they can't fire him over cheating as well. They are going to crash and burn because of this decision.

Sounds like they can't fire him over cheating as well. They are going to crash and burn because of this decision.
They have the same lawyers as UNC. They will end up beating the system.

I imagine they gave him this contract knowing sanctions are coming and this is their way to commit to one another through the sanctions.

Go Gophers!!

Congratulation$ to Kan$a$ and Bill $elf. May you reap all the karma due to you.

Mike Shanahan was once named coach for life of the Denver Broncos. There's always a way out.

What’s amazing (and stupid) is that it is in the contract that no matter what the outcome of the current NCAA investigation they cannot use that to fire him for cause.

The NCAA should give Kansas the death penalty for that clause in his contract.
And then Kansas sues the NCAA, has it's state representatives investigate/dismantle the organization from the federal level, and/or initiates the complete withdrawal of the P5 from the NCAA altogether.

Please don't kid yourself if you think the NCAA has the upper hand.

Unbelievable! Just no integrity. Firing Les Miles is enough. We are Kansas, we understand we'd have to pay players to come here. It's okay. We ain't firing Bill Self for just cheating. That'd be silly. He wins here.

What’s amazing (and stupid) is that it is in the contract that no matter what the outcome of the current NCAA investigation they cannot use that to fire him for cause.
Probably because they know they will skate through with minimal issues, or the KU athletics department is just as culpable as Self in any shenanigans (thinking of the Tom Cruise character in John Grisham’s “The Firm”). I’m guessing we’ll be as frustrated with the result as we were with the UNC case.

Probably because they know they will skate through with minimal issues, or the KU athletics department is just as culpable as Self in any shenanigans (thinking of the Tom Cruise character in John Grisham’s “The Firm”). I’m guessing we’ll be as frustrated with the result as we were with the UNC case.
We’ll see. This one feels a little different to me. UNC basically found a loophole, and while I don’t agree at all with what they were doing I can see why their defense worked. I think KU is going to get hit hard.

We’ll see. This one feels a little different to me. UNC basically found a loophole, and while I don’t agree at all with what they were doing I can see why their defense worked. I think KU is going to get hit hard.
hard .... er. Perhaps.

Nothing at all like a death penalty. See post #14. In fact, I believe either KU president/regents and/or Kansas US congress representatives have already publicly hinted that they'll start the P5 exit from the NCAA if they do anything too harsh.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we already know that Kansas was using ineligible players in 2008 when they won the championship? They really have become easy to root against.

hard .... er. Perhaps.

Nothing at all like a death penalty. See post #14. In fact, I believe either KU president/regents and/or Kansas US congress representatives have already publicly hinted that they'll start the P5 exit from the NCAA if they do anything too harsh.
Nothing close to a death penalty. Was thinking more like a 1-2 year postseason ban as well as some sort of suspension for Self. The contract almost reads like they expect him to be suspended.

Eh, I don’t think Kansas could pull that off. They’re just Kansas. Really not a big fish. If Texas/Alabama/Florida/Oklahoma were to threaten something like that it might move the needle. A few years back Kansas wasn’t all that far away from being stuck in the Mountain West if the Big 12 disbanded. Other than men’s basketball (which means something, but not nearly as much as football) they don’t bring much to the table.

They're AAU academically. So they would fit in the Big Ten, if it ever decided to expand further in the Big 8 direction. Not saying it will or that it should.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we already know that Kansas was using ineligible players in 2008 when they won the championship? They really have become easy to root against.
Not in 2008. They are going to be sanctioned for what they are under investigation for now.

Not in 2008. They are going to be sanctioned for what they are under investigation for not for 2008.
Right, not saying they would be punished for that now. Just saying that the BS has been going on for a long time.

Are they taking banners down?

The NCAA should give Kansas the death penalty for that clause in his contract.
Miller at AZ has a clause in his contract that he would get his buy out even if he were fired "for cause".
Yet the president of the university signed it and recently stated he wants Miller to be their coach despite the NCAA charges as of yet not formalized.
A glance at the accolades showering down on Old Roy at his retirement despite overt academic fraud shows how little the powers that be care about ethics.

Are they taking banners down?
What for. There is not proof they cheated
Miller at AZ has a clause in his contract that he would get his buy out even if he were fired "for cause".
Yet the president of the university signed it and recently stated he wants Miller to be their coach despite the NCAA charges as of yet not formalized.
A glance at the accolades showering down on Old Roy at his retirement despite overt academic fraud shows how little the powers that be care about ethics.
Shameful. But each person and program can conduct themselves how they choose. I know people that cheat on taxes, cheat on their wife, cheat at golf. They are OK WITH IT. That is what is so cool is when someone who plays it clean beats them and wins the title the cheaters are trying to steal. Some university presidents have sold their soul, some know that dignity matters.

Top Bottom