Bill Cowher a Fit for Michigan

Uffda

Reaction score
I believe that a great hire for Michigan would be Bill Cowher. He could restore their program in my opinion. Anyone have any thoughts?

I think he would be a good hire, but will stay in the NFL...

As a Gopher fan, I want them to keep what they have!!!!!!!!

He might be a great coach, but I do not see him relating well to 17 - 22 year olds. Plus, I do not think he would care to go out on the recruiting trail. He seems much more of a film man and somone that does not want to be required to sell a program. Plus, watching him on the NFL today on CBS, it is quit clear this guy has no personality and is not that exciting, which does not translate well on the recruiting trail.

The problem with Michigan these days is that they don't have a guy walking...

the sidelines with that old Schembeckler kind of toughness. Cowher would restore some of that "Big Ten Edge..." to Michigan that Bo, and to a certain extent, Lloyd Carr used to give them. Heck, Bo looked mean and sounded like George C Scott when he would emplore the cornblues to get out there and kick OSU every which way imaginable.

Michigan has lost their edge and they have lost their way under rich rod. When they started playing that wussy football that they play today under rich rod, they quit playing defense too.

I hope they don't hire Cowher. He would probably make them a TOUGH football team again and they would most likely go out to try to reclaim a spot along side of OSU as one of the Big Two in the Big Ten. I wouldn't bet against Michigan IF they hurry up and become Michigan again. Trying to be West Virginia just didn't cut it for them in Ann Arbor.

Michigan will still pretty much "recruit" just by it's name and tradition IF they don't blow the mission on selecting too many coaches who didn't fit the Michigan tradition. At Notre Dame, they have been in their own wilderness for too long. It's going to be mighty tough for anyone to have great success there. They have had too many coaches in succession who were not tough enough to handle the sidelines in South Bend the way they need to be handled in South Bend. C. Wise and Willingham and Davie just werent Golden Domer prototypes of people who could handle the pressure or the job at ND. Hoax lost control towards the end of his career there. In the process, Notre Dame lost it's way...and they haven't found their way back yet.

Will the cornblues have the guts and the wisdom to hire a coach who will bring back Big Ten Football to Ann Arbor? Or, is it too late? Have they just become another former power that has evolved into a "Notre Dame" type of "name" team only that can't get it done on Game Day Saturday?

There is a part of me that knows that the Big Ten really does need Michigan to reclaim a position along side of OSU. But, I certainly would enjoy watching them hang on to a rich rod, non Big Ten guy who thinks he can win with a spreadsey-wedsey, wimpy little offense. Or, maybe it would be good to see them take a chance on Harbaugh to see if he really is "all that much" to be able to handle all the pressure in Ann Arbor.

But, beware IF Michigan brings in a guy who brings back the Michigan defense AND a great offensive line and some All-American running backs to go along with a great tight end and an All-American wide out. IF they do that, they will even have 'em quaking in their boots over in Columbus.

To me, Uffda, your suggestion of Cowher just might provide the means for returning Ann Arbor to a position of relevence in the college football world. If the cornblues ever turn back into a hard-nosed football team...we had all better watch out. He would just maybe bring a toughness and an edge back to the Big House that is totally lacking there now.

.....I hope they don't hire Cowher. He would probably make them a TOUGH football team again and they would most likely go out to try to reclaim a spot along side of OSU as one of the Big Two in the Big Ten. I wouldn't bet against Michigan IF they hurry up and become Michigan again. Trying to be West Virginia just didn't cut it for them in Ann Arbor.....

Unfortunately, under the former 2 coaches, Walrus' attitude is becoming more prevalent. That being that we hope that every other team in the Big Ten is lousy so that we can continue in our mediocre ways and win a trip to the Rose Bowl.

As we've seen with the Big Ten's Bowl record this year, it brings on the scorn of media and college football fans alike.

I want Michigan (and every other Big Ten team) to be tough, so that Big Ten victories mean something. Any true football fan knows that when your conference is riding high, it makes every team from top to bottom look better and play better.

I'm afraid the Walrus attitude of mediocrity prevails. I'm hoping that we play and win in the toughest conference in football. That way we earn victories, not get them by default.

I get a big kick out of Big Ten folks looking down on any type of spread offense. Walrus described it as a "wussy" offense. You do realize that the two teams in the national championship game right now run "wussy" offenses and big, bad Wisconsin with their unbeatable big men lost to a "wussy" offense, right? Counting this year, four of the last six national champions have run "wussy" offenses, and LSU had elements of it as well.

Now, rescooter, it seems to me as though I was encouraging Michigan...

to get off their dead butts and turn into a football power again.

"...To me, Uffda, your suggestion of Cowher just might provide the means for returning Ann Arbor to a position of relevence in the college football world. If the cornblues ever turn back into a hard-nosed football team...we had all better watch out. He would just maybe bring a toughness and an edge back to the Big House that is totally lacking there now..."

I also urged them to do it in a hurry so that they don't lose their way, the way Notre Dame has lost their way since the final days of the hoax tenure at ND.

I also stated that the Big Ten needs Michigan to regain their position along side of OSU in forming the "Big Two" at the top of the Big Ten. Without Michigan being a top-dog, the Big Ten will always suffer a loss of stature, no matter what the rest of the Big Ten does. Nebraska may at times make a push toward the top...but...they can NOT ever replace Michigan.

And, to anyone who thinks that rich rod is doing something good at Michigan, all I can say is "...open your eyes and look at the Big Ten record of Michigan since rich rod brought his "creeping West Virginian" disease to Ann Arbor..."

Michigan is just a shadow of it's forme stature. All thanks to their foolish notion that they should try to ditch the formula that made them one of the top two all-time GREAT Big Ten Football Programs. They no longer play defense and they went "wussy" with their offense.

He might be a great coach, but I do not see him relating well to 17 - 22 year olds. Plus, I do not think he would care to go out on the recruiting trail. He seems much more of a film man and somone that does not want to be required to sell a program. Plus, watching him on the NFL today on CBS, it is quit clear this guy has no personality and is not that exciting, which does not translate well on the recruiting trail.

I realize that Cowher probably will stay in the NFL. If Jim Harbaugh takes an NFL job, Cowher could be a big name hire the fans would buy into now. If I was the AD there, I certainly would contact Cowher if Harbaugh uses the NFL as a leverage. Cowher has won a Title. Maybe he could be talked into a College Program.
Another name may be Jeff Fisher presently at Tennesee Titans who may be out a job. He could be considered a big name too.

Brady Hoke could be approached if Harbaugh takes an NFL job too.

As far as selling the program, Cowher has a lot of credibility in his favor. Another coach without much of a Brewster / Mack Brown schtick is Jim Tressell of Ohio St.
I was trying to state an outside the box possibility for Michigan.

Brady Hoke could be approached if Harbaugh takes an NFL job too.

Michigan fans will melt down if it's Hoke. Remember how many here didn't like his under .500 FBS win %? Now picture Michigan fans taking that in stride. It would be a fun explosion to watch.

Brady Hoke

Michigan fans will melt down if it's Hoke. Remember how many here didn't like his under .500 FBS win %? Now picture Michigan fans taking that in stride. It would be a fun explosion to watch.

I agree that Hoke would be an underwhelming choice. I did hear his name raised at the end of the Bowl game by Craig James ( I think) that he made a lot of senes for Michigan.
Jim Harbaugh really is getting mentioned by San Francisco 49ers and Carolina Panthers. If he was at Carolina he could draft his QB, Andrew Luck.

He is also the favorite for Michigan. Nice problem to have -- huh? I think he should leave Stanford now as his stock is sky-high right now.

I agree that Hoke would be an underwhelming choice. I did hear his name raised at the end of the Bowl game by Craig James ( I think) that he made a lot of senes for Michigan.
Jim Harbaugh really is getting mentioned by San Francisco 49ers and Carolina Panthers. If he was at Carolina he could draft his QB, Andrew Luck.

He is also the favorite for Michigan. Nice problem to have -- huh? I think he should leave Stanford now as his stock is sky-high right now.

Yea, I find it unlikely that Harbaugh sticks around Palo Alto. Hoke seems to be a media friendly choice b/c he is an easy name to connect to Michigan given his pedigree as a "Michigan Man" and his current status as a "hot name" means he's a good storyline.

I get a big kick out of Big Ten folks looking down on any type of spread offense. Walrus described it as a "wussy" offense. You do realize that the two teams in the national championship game right now run "wussy" offenses and big, bad Wisconsin with their unbeatable big men lost to a "wussy" offense, right? Counting this year, four of the last six national champions have run "wussy" offenses, and LSU had elements of it as well.

People who claim the spread is soft simply are narrow minded about the game of football as it stands today.

The New England Patriots run the spread. Are they soft?
Auburn is one of the most physical teams in the country.
Michigan was one of the top running football teams in the country.

Michigan's defense is soft, it has nothing to due with them running the spread offense. If Michigan had MINNESOTA'S defense this year they probably win 9 games.

Top Bottom