Biggest game since......?

homermn

Reaction score
A lot of discussion around how big the Wisconsin game is and often get's compared to the Michigan game in 2003 when the Gophers were 6-0 and we all know the rest...
I think this weekends is huge even when compared to the Michigan game 10 years ago... here are the reasons why...

1. The field of contenders for the big ten title is down to 4 and Minnesota still has control of it's destiny.
2. It's Wisconsin and it's a stronger rivalry than Michigan. I don't know very many Michigan fans, but I sure do know a lot of Wisconsin fans.
3. It's not at the Metrodome. If the Gophers play strong through the game, it will be the environment we all hoped for when the Bank was built.
4. Huge recruitment opportunity. The largest official visit for the Gophers, this can be a tipping point for 2014 and going forward.
5. This is our house. I'm tired of Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa fans turning their away game as a reason to visit Minneapolis. If they want to come here to stay at some waterpark and shop at MOA...fine, but stay out of the Bank.
6. Mason was a nice guy who brought some nice wins, Kill is a leader who wants to establish a legacy. I want it to start with a Wisconsin win.

Help me round out the 10 reasons and if it's not the Michigan game in 2003 (or maybe you think it is?), when was the last time we had a game this big?

homermn said:
1. The field of contenders for the big ten title is down to 4 and Minnesota still has control of it's destiny.

Incorrect.

Yeah, it's definitely Michigan 2003. Reason 1 is incorrect. Reason 6 is only true because of the Michigan loss - had we beat Michigan in 2003, we likely would have been RB bound and legacy established.

The 2005 game against Wisconsin is often overlooked but going into that game the Gophers were 5-1 (2-1) with a win over at top 10 Purdue team and Michigan. Wisconsin had an identical record also with a victory over MIchigan. Both teams were ranked in the top 25. I would argue that the Gophers never recovered from that loss. They finished the season getting blown out by Iowa and losing to a mediocre Virginia in the bowl game. The tone on Mason had turned drastically after that point.

I think the 2003 Michigan game was more important than this Wisconsin game. That team was loaded. Everyone knew it and most fans expected to win. The way they lost and seeing in hindsight now the season was underwhelming considering what might have been is what makes it so hard. The 2013 Gophers aren't on that level yet. If they lose tomorrow I don't see anyone saying the season isn't a success. Win or lose tomorrow the best days for this football team are still to come, IMHO.

My typo on #1, the Gophers still have a chance this late in the Big Ten season, but not control.

This game would be huge to us; cementing this season as one among the best seasons in half a century while beating our #1 rival while they're ranked and rolling. However, losing doesn't have any negative implications for us or the program (beyond maybe a little letdown from a few casual fans who were hoping to jump on the bandwagon). This is Kill's third year, and we weren't expected to win more than 1-2 conference games given the schedule and tenure of the staff. It's already a "success" in that regard - building some key wins, player confidence, system implementation, etc. 2003 against Michigan was a "win and we're the real deal, smell the roses in October" type of game. This game isn't to that level yet, even though it's the most meaningful rivalry game we've had in ages.

Hoping that next year (Kill's 4th year) is as successful as Ferentz and Alvarez's were at IA/WI - we're tracking better than they did in the W/L column for year 3 already.

The 2005 game against Wisconsin is often overlooked but going into that game the Gophers were 5-1 (2-1) with a win over at top 10 Purdue team and Michigan. Wisconsin had an identical record also with a victory over MIchigan. Both teams were ranked in the top 25. I would argue that the Gophers never recovered from that loss. They finished the season getting blown out by Iowa and losing to a mediocre Virginia in the bowl game. The tone on Mason had turned drastically after that point.

I think the 2003 Michigan game was more important than this Wisconsin game. That team was loaded. Everyone knew it and most fans expected to win. The way they lost and seeing in hindsight now the season was underwhelming considering what might have been is what makes it so hard. The 2013 Gophers aren't on that level yet. If they lose tomorrow I don't see anyone saying the season isn't a success. Win or lose tomorrow the best days for this football team are still to come, IMHO.

I agree that the 2003 Michigan game was more important than this Wisconsin game because, we had a real shot at the Rose bowl, a veteran talented experienced Gopher team that controlled it's own fate and we expected to win that night. There were many pro level football players that came off of that Gopher football team that had been building success for a period of time. We might have even been favored or close to favored on the line for that game. 2005 against Wisconsin was a huge letdown to lose that game especially how well the Gophers played at times during that game they looked like they could be an elite team. This is a talented Gopher team but a much younger less experienced version that is still building, going up against a team that is coming off of three Rose Bowl seasons, this game would be an upset Victory. It's a big game but it is easy to see why they are favored by the oddsmakers as much as they are. Gophers still have to prove they can beat an experienced perhaps even elite team this year. As they say to be the man you got to beat the man, and so far they Wisconsin hold the crown. Who is going to step up and beat the man, that is the question at hand.

Top Bottom