Biggest game since when?

Reaction score
Hello Black Friday all!

A few weeks back, before the Penn State game, I posted an open ended question and asked “this is the biggest game since when?”

This week, I’d like to pose the same question. I personally don’t know. I’m 40 and this week’s game is the biggest of my lifetime.

Thanks

This is the biggest game since our last national championship season. Obviously the PSU game was huge, but if we had lost that and won next two, we’d be in this spot. Tomorrow’s game is a win and we have a likely spot in the Rose Bowl and are still alive for CFP into December. The significance of tomorrow can’t be overstated.

If it is the biggest since the Penn St game, how would you compare the two? Scale of 1-10, is this a 9.8 and Penn State an 8.5?

This is the biggest game since our last national championship season. Obviously the PSU game was huge, but if we had lost that and won next two, we’d be in this spot. Tomorrow’s game is a win and we have a likely spot in the Rose Bowl and are still alive for CFP into December. The significance of tomorrow can’t be overstated.

i agree with your sentiment, but point to a game in our last national championship season and I will be more likely to get on board with you and abandon my PSU post.

i agree with your sentiment, but point to a game in our last national championship season and I will be more likely to get on board with you and abandon my PSU post.

I get what you are saying, but generically, I guess the last one? If we didn’t win that, we didn’t win the championship?

I get what you are saying, but generically, I guess the last one? If we didn’t win that, we didn’t win the championship?

well, again I agree with your concept, but I would like to hear a back story about that game. Like was it against a rival for a trophy? was it home or away? Was ESPN College GameDay in attendance? :)

maybe it was in the Rosebowl, that would have been big.

One could say it was the 1961 game vs Wisconsin as a win would have secured a BG10 tie with Ohio State as both undefeated, but the stakes were less for Wisconsin (MN lost).

One could also argue the 1960 game vs highly ranked Iowa or 1967 game vs Purdue (MN ended up tieing both at the top of the BG10), but there were two regular season games left in both. The PSU game was at a similar level to these.

No matter how one argues, this year's game is right at the top for any time back to the 1960s because the stakes are huge for MN and winner takes all here for representing the West.

IMO, this is the biggest game in my lifetime.
The funny thing is - the better you get, the more of these "Big games" you get. If we beat Wisconsin, the Ohio st. becomes the "big game." It's kinda fun, isn't it?

It's quite obvious to people how big this game is. But because the system is so different now, it's hard to compare it to older seasons.

Technically, this is just a game to see if we can make it to the conference championship game. So it's not to win the conference, and it's not to for sure make it to the Rose Bowl (just gives us a good chance to do that).

Hello Black Friday all!

A few weeks back, before the Penn State game, I posted an open ended question and asked “this is the biggest game since when?”

This week, I’d like to pose the same question. I personally don’t know. I’m 40 and this week’s game is the biggest of my lifetime.

Thanks
Since Iowa. Had we won that, this game would be much less important

IMO, this is the biggest game in my lifetime.
Me too, but then again I am only 5 years old.

Well, at least I often act like a 5 year old, or so my wife often tells me.

Since Iowa. Had we won that, this game would be much less important

I understand what you’re saying, but have to disagree. This game would have meant a much higher likelihood of the CFP and the Wisconsin game is always extremely important in any season.

Biggest game since the Rose Bowl is my thought. Win and Ohio State trumps Wisconsin. Beat Ohio State and the next one jumps to ever and delirium.

November 24, 1962

The game MN lost where Bobby bell was called for roughing and MN lost because of it and WI went to the rose bowl. Possibly MN could have ended up top 3 that year.

It was for the rose bowl, big ten championship

Hello Black Friday all!

Thanks
1960 Iowa. Both teams were 7-0; Iowa #1 in polls, Gophers #2. Turned out to be the national championship game. So many correspondents, the press box couldn't accommodate them all - huge splash in Sports Illustrated saying game bigger than Kennedy/Nixon election. No TV, because of tight (foolish) NCAA rule of choosing the TV games before the season, but it was chosen for the U.S. armed forces radio network worldwide. Sold out.

Hello Black Friday all!

Thanks
Awesome question. I will go with 1961

1962 Wisconsin game. Time for some payback for that

Since the early 1960s. 2014 vs Wisconsin was also for the West, but that Gopher team obviously wasn't as highly ranked or nationally relevant. This one's also probably for the Rose Bowl, at worst.

Penn St comes close but there's more directly on the line now, it's GameDay, and it's wisconsin.

Since the early 1960s. 2014 vs Wisconsin was also for the West, but that Gopher team obviously wasn't as highly ranked or nationally relevant. This one's also probably for the Rose Bowl, at worst.

Penn St comes close but there's more directly on the line now, it's GameDay, and it's wisconsin.
I think this feels like as close to a correct answer as we’re going to get.

I'm glad we are in a position to have this conversation. My Dad went with my older brother to our last Rose Bowl appearance . This is the biggest game for me but hope we can keep having this discussion.

It's just crazy. In my lifetime, the absolute best Gophers team I've watched had 9 regular season wins. Couple other seasons with 8 wins felt like huge turning points. This team already has 10 wins with another game remaining. It still hasn't really sunk in. So excited for tomorrow.

Top Bottom