Big Ten Workout Warriors

monk10

Golden Gopher
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/13885/big-ten-workout-warriors-for-2010

Here are the Gophers:

Minnesota LB Mike Rallis 6-2, 210, So., Edina, Minn.

* Has increased his bench press from 325 to 365 pounds during the last year

* Power cleans 345 pounds and squats significantly more than 550 pounds

* Strength coach Mark Hill says: "Mike's work ethic exemplifies a guy who wants to succeed. He comes into the weight room every day and shows that he wants to contribute to this team winning. He does everything he needs to do. Mike absolutely attacks his workouts every day."

Minnesota RB DeLeon Eskridge 5-11, 198, Jr., San Francisco

* Has improved his squat from 250 pounds when he arrived at Minnesota to 375 pounds now

* Increased his bench press from 300 pounds to 340 pounds during the last year

* Has increased his power clean from 250 to more than 300 pounds as a Gopher

* Strength coach Mark Hill says: "I’ve been very impressed by DeLeon's improvements. He was a 185-pound freshman who had to play, due to depth issues. He could have used a redshirt year to get bigger and stronger. But to see where he’s gone to achieve the strength, weight, speed, explosiveness and power needed to be a successful Big Ten back says a lot about his hard work."

These are the updates we need to hear more about during the long offseason. Thanks for posting

A glimpse at 2 players

What is significally more than 550 in the squat? 575? Its surpises me that ESPN can gain this from Coach Hill, someone at the Start Tribune, KSTP, Pioneer Press could do a column, segment on Strength and Conditioning at the U. Seems like I have been asking for this for about 6 years.

I think part of the reason there aren't more stories on weight room numbers is coaches not wanting to give other teams an edge.

Yeah the article mentions that he couldn't get a lot of numbers, but it was nice to get some.

Minnesota RB DeLeon Eskridge 5-11, 198, Jr., San Francisco

* Has improved his squat from 250 pounds when he arrived at Minnesota to 375 pounds now

Yikes, 250 pounds is pretty bad. 375 isn't great either but it is certainly better. A redshirt for him would have been ideal.

I remember Brew saying there were only a handful of players power cleaning over 300 before he got here, and by the time the season started there were something like over 20 guys doin' that much, and a handful doin' 350.

Yikes, 250 pounds is pretty bad. 375 isn't great either but it is certainly better. A redshirt for him would have been ideal.

I was thinking the same thing. What a weird discrepency between the bench and squat. How weak do you have to be to squat 275, contrasted to a 185 pound kid benching 300#. No wonder he couldn't run through anything when he got here. It's almost somewhat impressive how well he did with such a handicap.

It is my reason why I was betting on him being the starter. He got all those records without any real strength. I thought last year he showed improvement in toughness, and thought with Bennet being tentative that Eskridge would continue to get stronger and win the starting job. I'm not so sure now after reading Bennet's interview. I think I underestimated Bennet's desire. I'll still pay up on my bet Schnoodes if I'm wrong here. Starting to save my pennies just in case.

Top Bottom