Big Ten West After Week 3

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
Don't think much changed after this week.

1. - Iowa - Still the clear cut favorite in the West to this point

2-3 - Wisconsin and Minnesota. Wisconsin was off and Minnesota played an awesome game on the road against Colorado.

4. Purdue - Going to put them here. Played a fairly unimpressive to this point Notre Dame team tough. Feel like they will have a decent season but are not going to contend for the division. Still don't have a good read on them though and might not until conference games get going again.

5. Nebraska - Played Oklahoma way tougher than anyone expected them too. Guessing this was kind of their super bowl and a game they had circled on the schedule a long time ago.

6. Illinois - Hung with Maryland. Not sure if that is a positive for Illinois or a negative for Maryland.

7. Northwestern - Made a comeback in the second half after digging a 30 point hole in the first half against Dkke. Going to be a long year in Evanston.

Early on 4 teams appear capable of winning the West. Illinois, Nebraska, and Northwestern do not.

Here’s how i see it:

1. Iowa - let down a little after the Cyhawk game but still powered through.
2. Wisconsin - week off - PSU- Auburn only way to judge by opponents in common.
2b. Minnesota - OMG! A defensive performance like that! On the road! With the offense pumping out over 30 per game. If there is any consistency to that performance, watch out!

2nd Tier:
4. Purdue - they looked pretty good for awhile against a questionable Norte Dame team.
5. Nebraska - Put up a fight against an over-ranked Oklahoma squad. Sell your Rattler for the Heisman gear now!
6. Illinois - if not for the Huskers would they win a game this year? Remember Bielema at Whisky? Hard to believe.
7. Northwestern - i know they are going to end up better than this. But Duke? C’mon, you gotta do better than that.

A lot of criticism in this thread for ND. If they beat WI next week, are they still "questionable" and "unimpressive"?

Mostly agree. I think we’re a little too bearish on Nebraska and would put them ahead of Purdue.

A lot of criticism in this thread for ND. If they beat WI next week, are they still "questionable" and "unimpressive"?
They nearly lost to FSU and Toledo, both of which have lost to some bad teams. Don’t know how anyone could say they have looked impressive by their own standards.

I think Wisconsin is a good team, so yes, that would elevate ND in my mind. Like someone else said, I'm not sure how anyone can be impressed by what ND has accomplished to this point, although it's obviously nice to be 3-0. Beat the teams in front of you...that's pretty much the point of playing.

They have been questionable and unimpressive to this point of the season. Needing OT to beat now 0-3 Florida State and winning by 3 over 1-2 Toledo doesn't exactly scream National Title Contender.

Their next 2 games are against Wisconsin and Cincinnati, should have a much better indication on how good they are after those two. But as of right now they have not played well through the first 3 games....they managed to win them all....sort of reminds me of our start in 2019. Winning but not looking good doing it.

Don't think much changed after this week.

1. - Iowa - Still the clear cut favorite in the West to this point

2-3 - Wisconsin and Minnesota. Wisconsin was off and Minnesota played an awesome game on the road against Colorado.

4. Purdue - Going to put them here. Played a fairly unimpressive to this point Notre Dame team tough. Feel like they will have a decent season but are not going to contend for the division. Still don't have a good read on them though and might not until conference games get going again.

5. Nebraska - Played Oklahoma way tougher than anyone expected them too. Guessing this was kind of their super bowl and a game they had circled on the schedule a long time ago.

6. Illinois - Hung with Maryland.
Not sure if that is a positive for Illinois or a negative for Maryland.

7. Northwestern - Made a comeback in the second half after digging a 30 point hole in the first half against Dkke. Going to be a long year in Evanston.
Ill should've won the game, no problem. They pissed it away. Not taking anything away from Maryland, they went out and won it, on the road.

Mostly agree. I think we’re a little too bearish on Nebraska and would put them ahead of Purdue.
It's a long season, and maybe it will prove you right, but Nebraska has lost to a really bad team and not beaten any good teams, so I'm comfortable with them in the Northwestern and Illinois part of the pile

1. - Iowa - Still a great defense
2. - Wisconsin. Second best defense. Will soundly defeat Notre Dame next week.

GAP

3. Minnesota - Good defense yesterday, but will it be consistent? Probably not yet.
4. Nebraska -Sound defense
5. Purdue - Disappointed they didn't beat Notre Dame

GAP

6. Illinois - Meh
7. Northwestern - Just don't have the talent this year.

1. - Iowa - Still a great defense
2. - Wisconsin. Second best defense. Will soundly defeat Notre Dame next week.

GAP

3. Minnesota - Good defense yesterday, but will it be consistent? Probably not yet.
4. Nebraska -Sound defense
5. Purdue - Disappointed they didn't beat Notre Dame

GAP

6. Illinois - Meh
7. Northwestern - Just don't have the talent this year.
Now do it with offense included! :D

Iowa is so beatable I could cry.

Sagarin has MN at 30, the same as ND.
Sagarin has WI as a six or seven point favorite over ND.

Top Bottom