Big Ten Trophy Games

Iceland12

Reaction score
After all the talk about Paul Bunyan's Axe decided to look at the Big Ten Rivalry games. Turns out there are 15 0f them that have a Trophy attached. The Mn/WI game is the Grandaddy, The most continuously played, but the Illinois/Purdue game was also started in 1890. Maybe the MN/WI game was played earlier in that season.

There are 6 more Trophy games that date back to the 1890's. Included the Iowa/NE game that started in 1891! Though it's only been played 48 times.

Minnesota/Nebraska is a rivalry game too. It started in 1900 and it's been played 58 times. Though it didn't get the Best Trophy in College History until 2014.

Wonder if Coach Pellini has that in his resume. :unsure:

The $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy was established in 2014 prior to the November B1G football match-up between the University of Nebraska and the University of Minnesota. In an exchange on Twitter, accounts for Minnesota's mascot Goldy Gopher and a parody account of then Nebraska football coach called Fake Bo Pelini (@FauxPelini) made a wager.

Hey @FauxPelini, how about a friendly wager for this weekend's game? Team that gets the most points gets a conference win? Seem fair? — Goldy Gopher (@goldythegopher) November 20, 2014

@goldythegopher OK how about if we win you give me $5, if you win I get to smash a wooden chair over your back — Fake Bo Pelini (@FauxPelini) November 20, 2014

@FauxPelini just as long as we can turn that $5 or bits of broken chair into a trophy for next year's game — Goldy Gopher (@goldythegopher) November 20, 2014

Prior to the game, some University of Minnesota supporters went ahead and created that trophy. It was brought to Lincoln for the November 22, 2014 game and returned to Minneapolis after a 28-24 Golden Gopher victory.

The trophy was proudly displayed at University of Minnesota events by Goldy until the following year when it was transferred to the Husker squad. Nebraska players celebrated the 48-25 victory by passing the trophy around the locker room.

Governors Victory Bell trophy is a sham. There was now real rivalry there ever.

The Victory Bell was a "welcome to the Big 10" prize to involve Penn State. Since we now have the Bell I am a believer!
True. But I hope we didn't break it again when we got it last year.

I love how the Chair Trophy has endured. I agree, best trophy in college football.
The chair trophy was organic much like the other rivalry trophy's and has grown into a type of anti-trophy. It endures by the will of the fans, as much as the programs ignore it, not by some edict from the B1G "YOU'RE GOING TO PLAY FOR THIS TPOPHY AND YOU ARE GOING TO LIKE IT".

After all the talk about Paul Bunyan's Axe decided to look at the Big Ten Rivalry games. Turns out there are 15 0f them that have a Trophy attached. The Mn/WI game is the Grandaddy, The most continuously played, but the Illinois/Purdue game was also started in 1890. Maybe the MN/WI game was played earlier in that season.

Minnesota and Wisconsin played on November 15, 1890, whereas Illinois and Purdue played on November 22. Beat 'em by a week.

Top Bottom