Big Ten Tourney Site...

sec105

Reaction score
I'm sure there is a logical answer, but why is the BTT always in Indy or Chicago. I know Chicago is Bigger and I know Indy is centrally located but why doesn't Minneapolis/St. Paul, Detroit, Milwaukee, or Columbus get a chance at the tournament? The BTT doesn't sell out anyway so why not spread it around or are they planning on doing that? Just curious.

The bigger question is why is the BTT in Indianapolis until further notice?

Contracts were signed for big $$$$$$$. It is all about money, my friends.

When the tourney was still being debated in the early-mid nineties, I thought it was going to rotate to diff venues ( Chi, Indy, Detroit, Milw, MSP) and then it started in Chi and was successful but it was sort of "lost" in Chicago - too many other things going on so they moved it to Indy where it is more of an event. Plus with IU and Purdue closeby, it will sell tickets. I think it could be an "event" if held here in MSP, at Target Center, maybe every 5 years or so.
I attended it in 1996 at United Ctr, was a good time.

Another potentially important note is that the NCAA is located in Indianapolis.

What can I say? I've bitched about this for years. In the end, it seems the Big Ten doesn't give a rip about Minnesota. They know we need them more than they need us.

Indy

I think the BT is in year 3 of a 4 (5?) year contract with Indianapolis. I hope they revisit. I do prefy Indy as a city, but the United Center as a venue. In Indy, it is the event in the city. It does get a bit overrun in Chicago with all they have going on. I go about every other year or so.

I suspect it will never leave the "central" area of Chicago/Indy, as it would require too much travel for most schols to get to Detroit or Minneapolis, but I would not be surprised if they look at Chicago again when the contract expires. It is about the cash for the Big Ten.

What I would like to see most is an earlier start time of the championship. Pain in the rear waiting until 3:30 ET to start the game and get home at a decent time.

Holy Man is right it is a 5 year contract with Indy. I think they are in year 4 but it could be 3 if someone knows for sure please chime in. I know this is one of my commonly issues that gets complained about on here but Indy is a great city to have get a hotel downtown walk park once and walk everywhere. Holy Man I am wondering why you perfer the United Center. I am always impressed by Conseco Fieldhouse.

As for the 3:30 start time to the championship game. Thats purely TV, I don't think the Big Ten has any control over it.

I think the BT is in year 3 of a 4 (5?) year contract with Indianapolis.

This is year three of a five-year deal in Indy.

I do prefer the United Center as a venue.

Do you really? I am surprised that anyone would say they liked the United Center as a venue better than Conseco Field House. Conseco Field House is the nicest new basketball arena I've ever been in. Great nostalgic feel to it with wonderful sitelines and staff. It is right in the heart of the action of downtown Indy.

United Center on the other hand, is one big stale (almost dome-like) environment and it is out in the middle of bad neighborhood in Chicago, a $15 cab ride away from downtown.

This is year three of a five-year deal in Indy.

Do you really? I am surprised that anyone would say they liked the United Center as a venue better than Conseco Field House. Conseco Field House is the nicest new basketball arena I've ever been in. Great nostalgic feel to it with wonderful sitelines and staff. It is right in the heart of the action of downtown Indy.

United Center on the other hand, is one big stale (almost dome-like) environment and it is out in the middle of bad neighborhood in Chicago, a $15 cab ride away from downtown.

Conseco >>> United Center but take the #20 bus west on Madison St next time. It's $2.25 (not $15) and gets you there safe & sound about the same time. CTA bus drivers >>> cab drivers.

United Preference

Holy Man is right it is a 5 year contract with Indy. I think they are in year 4 but it could be 3 if someone knows for sure please chime in. I know this is one of my commonly issues that gets complained about on here but Indy is a great city to have get a hotel downtown walk park once and walk everywhere. Holy Man I am wondering why you perfer the United Center. I am always impressed by Conseco Fieldhouse.

As for the 3:30 start time to the championship game. Thats purely TV, I don't think the Big Ten has any control over it.

I should clarify that it is less about the building than it is about other matters. Conseco is a great building, but I grew frustrated by small things like lack of stats on the primary scoreboard. One would think that with all the technology, they might be able to flash up half time stats during the games. I remmber the last time it was in United that they did a terrific job of putting up stats and still shots at half time of the game that was being played. It's not a huge deal, but it is an amenity that United has that Conseco either doesn't have or doesn't use. I guess I am the product of the TV generation that expects TV in the building.

Top Bottom