Big Ten Title Game in reach

GopherNation

Reaction score
While still a long way to go, the Gophers have a shot to make the Big Ten title game this year if this scenario plays out:

Gophers beat Wisc and MSU (tough yes, but Gophs control this)
Nebraska loses 1 more (Iowa, MSU, or @PSU)
Michigan State loses 1 more (@Nebraska, or @Northwestern)
Michigan loses 1 more (Nebraska, Northwestern, OSU)

Go Gophers!!

So basically,

Nebraska loses today.
Michigan loses to Iowa or Ohio State.
Mich State loses to Nebraska.
And Minnesota wins out.

Stop. Please just stop.

I couldn't give a f*** about the B1G title game right now, we are on the verge of losing 10 straight to Wisconsin.

GET THE AXE BACK.

Stop. Please just stop.

I couldn't give a f*** about the B1G title game right now, we are on the verge of losing 10 straight to Wisconsin.

GET THE AXE BACK.

The players take it one game at a time, not us. This is what it's all about man. Actually within contention and being able to talk about, and dream about it.

Stop. Please just stop.

GET THE AXE BACK.

It makes zero difference if some fans want to look at the best case scenario. The game in two weeks is going to be determined by the players and coaches.

I mean, I'm in the camp that is firmly of the belief that we won't beat UW, but the simple fact that we can ponder this situation is awesome!

What was/is more likely? Us winning 4 games in a row 4 weeks ago or us winning out at this point?

You may want to check the standings.

If 4-4 can get us a share, I'm really excited. If 5-3 can get us a share, there is a ray of sunshine. If 6-2 can get us there, it is more likely the unifying theory in physics will be discovered within the next month. I may be exaggerating - but only slightly. So imagine away, but please don't b!tch in two weeks if we lose.

I mean, I'm in the camp that is firmly of the belief that we won't beat UW, but the simple fact that we can ponder this situation is awesome!

Agreed. I don't think we will be able to beat MSU and WIS bac-to-back, but the fact we are even in the race is exciting. It certainly is a step up from hoping we squeeze out 6 wins for a bowl.

First of all. Michigan State is going to beat Norhtwestern and will win at Nebraska. Also Minnesota is not going to win in East Lansing.

^^Exactly. If you don't want to read the thread and focus 110% of your energy on Wisconsin (as if that will have any impact on the outcome anyway), don't read the threads. Those of us who are curious what needs to happen and who to pull for (again, as if our rooting or effort makes a difference, either) can do so. Winning against Wisconsin for us will feel just as good, and a loss would hurt just as bad. Get over it.

What was/is more likely? Us winning 4 games in a row 4 weeks ago or us winning out at this point?

Depends - are we looking at this entirely from four weeks ago? From four weeks ago, probably less likely we won the last 4. Given that all Wisconsin and MSU have done since then is win, and the other four have been all over the place, it's less likely we win the next two.

And yes, I like imagining, but I'm not getting my hopes up. If I'm wrong, I owe everyone above a beer.

Def one game at a time! I'm flying back to MPLS for the Axe game to see us reclaim it!

Have I thought about us representing the Legends div, of course, but too much have to happen.

Nebraska loosing now 13-10!

Michigan is now out of the division race. That's one more piece of the of the equation that's in place.

Nebraska winning puts a bit of a damper on division title chances because now both them and MSU control their own destinies while we need both of them to lose a game plus for us to win out.

Nebraska winning puts a bit of a damper on division title chances because now both them and MSU control their own destinies while we need both of them to lose a game plus for us to win out.

I am not sure whether to cheer for Nebraska Lincoln next week or cheer for Michigan State. A Michigan State victory means the Gophers jump Nebraska for second in the Legends, but a Nebraska win keeps the Gopher hope alive for another week.

At this point I'm more worried about bowl game ramifications (Nebraska being our competition)

First of all. Michigan State is going to beat Norhtwestern and will win at Nebraska. Also Minnesota is not going to win in East Lansing.

How was the future? Must have just got back...

At this point I'm more worried about bowl game ramifications (Nebraska being our competition)

i agree, it is worse to lose the conference championship game then to not play in it at all, just ask MSU or Georgia, i am much more concerned about the chances of us playing in the gator or outback bowl then i am big ten championship, i am usually one of the more optimistic people on gopherhole but i have a hard time seeing us beat either Wiscy or MSU, i have been following the SEC and Big 12 teams a lot more closely to see who our possible competition might be

How was the future? Must have just got back...

bill%2Band%2Bted%2Bfuture%2Bdudes.jpg

I don't know why some of us are so down on people dreaming. When was the last time that we could count the things we needed to happen on one hand to win a conference title this late in the season? I wholeheartedly agree that the coaches and players should be focused on the axe (which we desperately need because that losing streak is embarrassing). But a B1G title is not a pipe dream, we aren't exactly sitting around praying for Purdue to knock of OSU here.

I am not sure whether to cheer for Nebraska Lincoln next week or cheer for Michigan State. A Michigan State victory means the Gophers jump Nebraska for second in the Legends, but a Nebraska win keeps the Gopher hope alive for another week.

I have this sneaking suspicion that the Northwestern team from the first 5 games of the season is making its way back onto the field (should have won @ Nebraska last week, poor things) and will be in full form against Michigan State at home, so I'm rooting for Michigan State next week.

Easy choice. No Gopher fan should want MSU to beat Nebraska. It's better for the Gophers to be one back of both Sparty and Nebraska with two games to play than two back of Sparty with two to play. Simple mathematics.

If MSU wins next week, they must only win against Northwestern to clinch the title.

If Nebraska wins next week, they must win against BOTH Penn State AND Iowa to clinch the title.

Cheer for Nebraska next week, and then hope Nebraska loses one of its last two games.

Top Bottom