Big Ten schedule expectations

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
Knowing what we know, how would you characterize the Big Ten schedule for the Gophers? I realize it depends on who we beat and how we play, but here are my thoughts, and I would like to hear others as well.

6 or more wins: Ecstatic. Great season.
5 wins: Would likely be satisfied with 5 wins and it is about what I expect out of this team.
4 wins: Disappointed, but not distraught as long as the games are competitive.
3 wins: Huge disappointment.

Big ten west title is where I felt we would be coming in and it's where I'll stand. Winning the axe would make the year palatable if we don't pull it off though

Knowing what we know, how would you characterize the Big Ten schedule for the Gophers? I realize it depends on who we beat and how we play, but here are my thoughts, and I would like to hear others as well.

5 wins: Would likely be satisfied with 5 wins and it is about what I expect out of this team.

I said before that the West is going to be a blood bath. We're going into it with a lot of wounds already. Having to play a resurgent Michigan and tOSU will not help. I will take anything 4-4 or better right now. We can win the West if we find a balance of offense and defense. Our defense needs to start forcing some turnovers.

I still want to win the West and think we can. Obviously, injury severity plays into the equation as we can't afford to lose guys like Travis, BBC, and Poock for extended periods. Bottom line, every game on our schedule looks winnable except @OSU, just as we thought entering the season. You think we have issues? So do the rest of the teams on our schedule (again, except OSU).

I still want to win the West and think we can. Obviously, injury severity plays into the equation as we can't afford to lose guys like Travis, BBC, and Poock for extended periods. Bottom line, every game on our schedule looks winnable except @OSU, just as we thought entering the season. You think we have issues? So do the rest of the teams on our schedule (again, except OSU).

can't see this team winning the West--what are you seeing, we got lucky two weeks in a row, serious issues need to be addressed--we are scraping by against MAC teams, the good news is past teams would have lost both these games

My expectations have plummeted after these first four games. I'll be surprised if we win more than three games.

How we look on Saturday against a very good Northwestern team will tell us a lot about how the big ten season is going to go.

can't see this team winning the West--what are you seeing, we got lucky two weeks in a row, serious issues need to be addressed--we are scraping by against MAC teams, the good news is past teams would have lost both these games

There is no dominant team in the West. Every team in our division has issues.

Just because a team struggles doesn't mean they got lucky. I still think we outplayed both teams and deserved to win.

4-4. If we are lucky. My expectations have been greatly reduced.

Just because a team struggles doesn't mean they got lucky. I still think we outplayed both teams and deserved to win.

maybe lucky is the wrong word, but the 2 yard punt saved us and the delay of game penalty saved us---and you are correct, we are outplaying the opponents--of course they are the equivalent of MAC teams---we would be hard pressed to win the MAC the way we are playing right now, if these games were on the road, losses

Before the season I thought Northwestern and Michigan were fairly winnable (even at Iowa gave us a good chance), would have been shocked if we lost both of them. Watching them play and seeing our offense 1) not being healthy, and 2) still struggling at times, I have re-set my expectations to 4-4 in the B1G being probably best case scenario. Illinois and Purdue should be wins, OSU likely loss, and I would honestly be surprised to see us win more than 2 of Wisc, Neb, Iowa, Northwestern, and Michigan.

But Kill's Gophers have surprised me when things seem down. So who the hell knows.

Teams often improve at unexpected times in CFB. The first 4 games haven't been encouraging, but that doesn't mean it will be that way all year. Time to enjoy the ride.

These first four games have been a splash of cold water to the face. I don't think the division is likely. I'm hoping for 4 wins, and my inner pessimist is expecting 3. Hopefully they can improve as the season goes on, otherwise there are going to be a lot of disappointed Gopher fans.

I'm nervous. Northwestern is looking better. Iowa's cupcake storm has them confidant. .... Those are two Ws I was hoping to count as relatively easy.

Michigan's turn around is developing quite fast...

If these injuries keep up it could be a disappointment.

6 wins - Coach is a miracle worker
5 wins - I'd be surprised but very happy
4 wins - this is about the best I think we can do, so I'd be happy
3 wins - We're bowling and having a very Mason like year

maybe lucky is the wrong word, but the 2 yard punt saved us and the delay of game penalty saved us---and you are correct, we are outplaying the opponents--of course they are the equivalent of MAC teams---we would be hard pressed to win the MAC the way we are playing right now, if these games were on the road, losses

The delay of game saved us? Kid hadn't made a kick over 41 yes in his career and u think he's going to make a 54 yarder with the game on the line? Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is an all or nothing Big Ten schedule for us. We've got all the easier games on the road and tougher games at home for the most part. Could easily be 6-2, just as easily 2-6

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

My expectations have been tempered quite a bit by the injuries. I'd be absolutely thrilled if we can win 5 big ten games. 8 wins for the season with one of the most difficult schedules possible would be great.

My expectations remain the same...5 or 6 wins and a chance at Indy. Some of you people have short memories. Iowa lost a ton of nc games and went on to contend for the Big Ten. Wisconsin lost to Cincy during one of their Rose Bowl years. It's a long season and we will be just fine.

Northwestern sure didn't look good against Ball State tonight.

Northwestern sure didn't look good against Ball State tonight.

Here is hoping they're back to form. They always seem to reach up and nip someone, maybe they got that out of their system.

I had a feeling that we might take a step back this year. In 2013 we were 4-4 and last year we were 5-3. I think 3-5 most likely, but wouldn't be surprised at 2-6 or 4-4.
I see us dropping a stupid game (ie Purdue or Illinois) and winning one as a big underdogg (wisconsin would be nice).

I honestly have no idea. If I'm just going by what I saw in the non-con, I'd say I only "expect" 2 wins (Purdue + 1). But I honestly thought the same thing 2 years ago after an uninspiring non-con plus losses to Michigan and Iowa. I wasn't sure that team would win even 1 B1G game. Of course, then they went into NW (who was a heavy favorite) and won...and the rest is history. Last year, more of the same...a blowout loss to TCU, people calling for Streveler, and little offensive production in non-con. And of course, they go on to win another 4 B1G wins.

This is a team battling injuries and playing a lot of youth in key spots. I think they'll get better as the season progresses. But maybe not. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

Could be anywhere between 2 and 6 wins. Partly because of the way we've played so far and the injuries and partly because there are so many unknowns in the west. I don't know what to think about most of the teams.

Could be anywhere between 2 and 6 wins. Partly because of the way we've played so far and the injuries and partly because there are so many unknowns in the west. I don't know what to think about most of the teams.

+1 That is why they play the games.

We didn't exactly blow out our non-conference opponents the last two years either. NW, Illinois and Iowa haven't really played anyone besides Stanford and Pitt (TCU is better) and Wisconsin hasn't really been tested either other than Alabama. They were only up 14-0 at the half against Hawaii at home. Let's relax for now and take 3-1. The next two weeks will tell us where we stand in the B1G.

To me, to call it a success:

Need to beat:
Purdue, Illinois,

Need to beat 3 of these guys:
Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, northwestern

Good luck:
Ohio state

Next year is the year that anything less than a west title is a disappointment.

I expect to be disappointed with a 4-4 (7-5) season.

Before the season, I thought this team could win anywhere from 6 to 9 games. The offense showed some promising developments against Ohio - primarily contributions from young players (Brooks, Gentry, Still). The big key now is the injuries on defense. if they don't lose any key players for extended periods of time, I still see the Gophs winding up with 7 or 8 wins. (in the regular season).

I can live with that, IF they win the bowl game. That is a deal-breaker for me.

On the other hand, if the defense is going to be short-handed all season because of injuries, then we're probably looking at 6 or 7 wins tops, and a low-level bowl game.

Top Bottom