Big Ten Roster Previews

Jimbo Slice

Reaction score
By now we know all about the Gophers as they prepare to kick off the season against Michigan in just 11 days. Between now and then I'd like to take a closer look at our competition. My goal is to analyze each of the 14 Big Ten rosters and see how they stack up against each other. It's not an exact science, so I'd love to hear all of your opinions! I've decided to proceed alphabetically, starting with Illinois. With any luck I'll make it all the way to Wisconsin by the time we kick off!

Attachments

• Illinois Roster Preview 2020.pdf
    157.4 KB · Views: 50

That's a ton of information, so thank you for that. I'm intrigued that you give Illinois an overall above average grade of B. If Illinois is above average, who is average or below average?

This is good stuff. I'm a little curious about the B overall as well.

You also have an elite avatar.

I don't think its unreasonable to see Illinois beating anyone on their schedule outside of Ohio State, though I could see them losing to anyone as well. With that said I do think that they are an average team, and with grade inflation that gets us to a B.

Interesting as to Grade. C is typically the average, get by etc. However a B means that you'll typically be better than the C and D teams if you play as good as your ability. You hang close on some of the A teams but not all. Difference between a high A and a low A as to grading. It will be interesting as to how the other teams grade out. Not science as mentioned. Give you a good idea though how good the team is.

Let's reflect on the crazy season they had last year. They were picked last in the west. They lose early to a bad Eastern Michigan team. Then they lose the next 3 to Nebraska, us, and Michigan giving up 40+ points in each game. Lovie looks like he's out of a job. Next on their schedule is a 6-0 Wisconsin that has outscored opponents 255-23. I don't need to tell you what they did because we all remember. Next thing they know they're on a 4 game winning streak that was capped off with a win against MSU in the craziest come from behind victory in program history - to clinch a bowl game! And then they lose out. It was a season highlighted by extreme highs and lows, which when averaged out made them a very average team.

So why did I gave Illinois a B and what does that actually mean?

1. By my definition, they weren't far from a B team last year. B to me means "above average", with a catch. I mean above average in terms of teams in the entire FBS, not teams strictly in the Big Ten. Illinois could easily finish last in the West this year, and nobody would be surprised. On the other hand, I think if you put them in the MAC, they could be conference champs. The Big Ten is a very deep and talented conference, and for that reason a lot of teams are going to receive "above average" grades from me.

2. I actually think this is one of the best Illinois teams in recent memory, talent wise. On offense they return their starting QB, their top receiving threats, and nearly their entire O-line. On defense they are really sound at linebacker and in the secondary. If not for uncertainty at RB's and DL, I'd be tempted to grade them even higher.

Last edited:

We will certainly find out, as they open next Friday night in Madison!

Top Bottom