Big Ten requiring game day availability reports

If you comply and send the report on time but don't ever report anyone not being available, what happens?

If you comply and send the report on time but don't ever report anyone not being available, what happens?
I suppose like in the NFL you are just reporting them active but nobody is required to play

We'll see if they crack down when a team reports a star who would obviously play active and then dresses and sits him all game.

I suppose like in the NFL you are just reporting them active but nobody is required to play
Unless it's obvious, Fleck could just say the rest were gametime decisions. He doesn't release depth charts, so...

This is a consequence of gambling on college sports where the really big betters -Whales-always will want an edge by bribing managers, physical therapists, etc.
It is beyond stupid to think that hiding from the public whether an injured star player will be playing or not gives the team an edge.
So be open about it.

It is beyond stupid to think that hiding from the public whether an injured star player will be playing or not gives the team an edge.
Wow, just wow. It’s statements like this that make me wonder how you generate enough power to type. It’s called “gamesmanship,” the hallmark of coaching.

Wow, just wow. It’s statements like this that make me wonder how you generate enough power to type. It’s called “gamesmanship,” the hallmark of coaching.
Clearly someone that has never played a sport in their lifetime.

Fleck says that the training staff is in control and that coaches can't touch them. Whatever they say is gospel and out of the coaches hands.

That's the excuse he uses from time to time, when convenient to do so.

So if that is true, and a player truly is injured to the point where he cannot play -- as dictated by the almighty training staff -- then that will have to be genuinely reported on the availability report.

So let's see ...

I believe the “availability report” is just for injured players, not players who are being benched for breaking team rules, etc. I would imagine that if they are not available, they would have to be on the sidelines in street clothes or not on the sideline at all. (Like what the NFL does.)

From what i’m reading, there would be huge consequences for breaking this rule.

But again, Fleck hasn’t played starters (thinking Dylan Wright) before for breaking team rules. He would technically be listed as “available”.

Fleck only has to submit this a few hours before the game. So I don’t think it changes things that dramatically.

this is all about sports gambling.

if Penn State is playing Michigan, and Penn State's QB turns up on the "unavailable" list 2 hours before game time, there will be a huge influx of late money going to Michigan.

making the list public puts it out in the open and reduces the possibility that gamblers will be trying to capitalize on inside information - or trying to induce athletes or support personnel to provide inside information.

as college and pro sports teams, leagues and conferences form more partnerships/sponsorship agreements with betting sites, they want things to be on the "up-and-up" as much as possible.

the whole rationale of sports is that the games are honest and not "fixed." as sports and the betting world become more intertwined, it becomes a lot trickier to maintain that promise of honest outcomes.

Top Bottom