Passing TDs
#T-2 MarQueis Gray 4

Rushing Yards (QBs)
#3 MarQueis Gray 177

Rushing TDs (QBs)
#T-4 MarQueis Gray 2

Total TDs (QBs)
#T-2 MarQueis Gray 6

MarQueis plods along with his "horrible" season...

dpodoll

QB rating
#1 MarQueis Gray 171.6

Yards Per Attempt, Passing
#1 MarQueis Gray 9.7

Passing TDs
#T-2 MarQueis Gray 4

Rushing Yards (QBs)
#3 MarQueis Gray 177

Rushing TDs (QBs)
#T-4 MarQueis Gray 2

Total TDs (QBs)
#T-2 MarQueis Gray 6

I agree with your assessment. It is time to end this miserably failed experiment and move Gray back to WR where he belongs!

QB rating
#1 MarQueis Gray 171.6

#1 MarQueis Gray 9.7

Passing TDs
#T-2 MarQueis Gray 4

Rushing Yards (QBs)
#3 MarQueis Gray 177

Rushing TDs (QBs)
#T-4 MarQueis Gray 2

Total TDs (QBs)
#T-2 MarQueis Gray 6

You forgot one stat.

132.5 - The average Sagarin ranking of the 2 opponents UNLV and New Hampshire State. There are only 120 D-IA teams.

I would like to see these stats adjusted for opponent strength. But at this point, I am satisfied with what he's done.

You forgot one stat.

132.5 - The average Sagarin ranking of the 2 opponents UNLV and New Hampshire State. There are only 120 D-IA teams.

That would be why New Hampshire is a D1-AA team...

Great stuff! I'd be more impressed if we knew what his 40 time was.

Much, much better game on Saturday. It shows he's coachable and has a cool head. I like what I see. WMU will be a handful, but judging by week to week improvement, we'll do well.

Thanks for the info dpo!

I would like to see these stats adjusted for opponent strength. But at this point, I am satisfied with what he's done.

I'm extremely satisfied with 2-0.

We saw just how bad the UNLV secondary was for a second week in a row. They couldn't handle the "vaunted" Northern Arizona Lumberjack receiving group, deciding it was better to commit pass interference penalties in the second half.

You forgot one stat.

Yeah because early season Sagarin ratings are so accurate.

- Youngstown State had no chance against Pittsburgh.

- Colorado wiped the turf with Sacramento State.

- UT Martin must have lost to Memphis

- Wasn't it great to see those criminals from Fargo get run out of the Rockies by Colorado State?

- Penn State rolled over Ohio right?

- Nevada shouldn't have been on the field with California.

- Houston had no trouble with Texas State correct? I mean is was their FIRST game as a FBS team.

- Arkansas is undefeated now aren't they after blowing ULM out of the Stadium?

- So is OKie State after going out and pounding on Arizona.

- Wisconsin after rolling over Northern Illinois, the same way Iowa blew past Northern Iowa, is now a Top Ten team after crushing the lowly Beavers out in Oregon aren't they?

- Indiana State, Arkansas State, William and Mary, Liberty, San Jose State, Rice they all PROVED the worth of early season Sagarin ratings huh?

No, no I mean disproved those ratings.

My bad Art, sorry.

Well done, Iceland. That's why they play the games. You're playing against 22 other players, not a computer simulation. Opponent strength doesn't mean a damn thing if you don't beat them.

QB rating
#1 MarQueis Gray 171.6

#1 MarQueis Gray 9.7

Passing TDs
#T-2 MarQueis Gray 4

Rushing Yards (QBs)
#3 MarQueis Gray 177

Rushing TDs (QBs)
#T-4 MarQueis Gray 2

Total TDs (QBs)
#T-2 MarQueis Gray 6

You are such a pompous ass. NOT ONE person said he would have a horrible season. We simply said he sucked week one which was 100% true. The majority of us also said we were fully expecting him to play well the rest of the season.

QB rating
#1 MarQueis Gray 171.6

#1 MarQueis Gray 9.7

Passing TDs
#T-2 MarQueis Gray 4

Rushing Yards (QBs)
#3 MarQueis Gray 177

Rushing TDs (QBs)
#T-4 MarQueis Gray 2

Total TDs (QBs)
#T-2 MarQueis Gray 6

He's near the top after playing two of the easiest teams of anyone in the conference??? Go figure, he still played poorly in week 1. Next two weeks will be huge for this team and Gray. Not sure NH showed us a ton, especially for our offense.

No matter what happens, MG will be the QB all season this year unless he gets hurt, holds up a liquor store, etc. He IS the QB and he should be. I was concerned after watching would-be TD passes sail over receiver heads against UNLV, and I was happy to see him go for 6-8 passing on Saturday. Hope to see him improve all year, and light up Big 10 defenses. Along the way, he might have a stinker or two and that won't/shouldn't change his status as the starting QB and team leader.

All that being said, to be fair... if you are going to post statistics and rankings, it should probably be all the regular QB stats, not just the ones where MG looks great. I would enjoy seeing where he ranks in all the statistical categories and will be cheering for him to lead the B1G in all of them by season's end.

Opinions cannot be true or false. By any of the most objective measures available, saying he "sucked" is not accurate.

I disagree.

Gray certainly could have done better against UNLV, by his own admission. Complete 3 or 4 of the wide open misses and honest critics would have nothing to complain about. Both Gray and his coach said he was nervous for the first half of the game. The kick-off came at 10:00 pm our time. If Gray is the type to keep playing the game in his head before time, then he had 13 plus hours to do it!

However, as you state, if 17 for 30 for 269 yards, 2 TD's, 1 interception and no fumbles plus another 68 yards on the ground regardless of who he played, means he "sucked" then we are in for one of the greatest seasons of QB play in Gopher, no College Football history!

Or the critics are wrong. Either way works.

All that being said, to be fair... if you are going to post statistics and rankings, it should probably be all the regular QB stats, not just the ones where MG looks great. I would enjoy seeing where he ranks in all the statistical categories and will be cheering for him to lead the B1G in all of them by season's end.

Like being 5-for-12 passing on Third Down through two games, with 3 first downs, against arguably the two worst defenses they'll see all year?

The Gophers are 2-0. That's what matters right now and it doesn't matter how anybody played in the first two weeks, what adjective you wish to attach to them, etc. 2-0, halfway towards the first major goal of coming out of the NC at 4-0.

HUGE, HUGE, HUGE game this week, no other way to put it. These next two games will give us a good idea of how the going might be in the BT schedule. If Gray steps up his game 2-3 notches (4 or 5?) in the next few games and the Gophers come up with solid wins, I see them winning 7 games or more this year. If we get the same we've gotten from Gray historically, I think the Gophers win 3 or 4 games this year.

Oh yeah and he lost a step. Bosh and double bosh. I do think MG will roll out for a red zone td in the BT season.

The people defending Gray need to stop pointing to his stats. Gray said himself that he played poorly in week one and anyone who watched that games knows that despite the stats he left a lot of points on the field by missing wide open receivers on numerous occassions. He played better against UNH but the quality of competition was bad so as a D1 QB playing in the Big Ten he should look good against a team like that.

I believe Gray is the best option we have because he can cover up some deficiencies on offense with his running ability. I also think he has not played a great game yet this year. His passing against UNH was better but take away the one 75 yard run and his rushing stats were pretty pedestrian.

Gray has certainly become a lightning rod on this board. Bottom line to me though is he is the best QB we have right now and deserves to be the starter, that being said he also has some things to work on and will have to play better over the remainder of the season for the Gophers to be successful because from here on out the level of competition is going to go up substantially.

Hopefully a few weeks from now you guys can come back in here with his stats still at the top of the conference and really have something to shove in the face of those that called for him to be benched after UNLV.

Adam Weber was a lightning rod on this board too. I'd even argue a BIGGER one. QB's tend to be lightning rods and the old saying "the most popular player on a football team is the backup QB" is more true here in MN than any other place on Earth, in my opinion.

The people defending Gray need to stop pointing to his stats. Gray said himself that he played poorly in week one and anyone who watched that games knows that despite the stats he left a lot of points on the field by missing wide open receivers on numerous occassions. He played better against UNH but the quality of competition was bad so as a D1 QB playing in the Big Ten he should look good against a team like that.

I believe Gray is the best option we have because he can cover up some deficiencies on offense with his running ability. I also think he has not played a great game yet this year. His passing against UNH was better but take away the one 75 yard run and his rushing stats were pretty pedestrian.

Gray has certainly become a lightning rod on this board. Bottom line to me though is he is the best QB we have right now and deserves to be the starter, that being said he also has some things to work on and will have to play better over the remainder of the season for the Gophers to be successful because from here on out the level of competition is going to go up substantially.

Hopefully a few weeks from now you guys can come back in here with his stats still at the top of the conference and really have something to shove in the face of those that called for him to be benched after UNLV.

Honestly and respectively submitted MNV, when a critic posts:

We simply said he sucked week one which was 100% true you are surprised when fans want to refute that with stats? Even stating that Gray thought he had a bad day it's pretty impossible for longtime Gopher fans, those that have seen a whole lot of Gopher QBs have a whole lot of performances that TRULY sucked look at the UNLV game and say it was truly awful.

By most standards it wasn't good, but it certainly wasn't awful; it didn't "suck".

The people defending Gray need to stop pointing to his stats.

Neither is objective, but which is closer? Cold, hard numbers or the "eyeball" test? People need to stop using ridiculous hyperbole by saying a QB who won the damn game and completed the majority of his passes for a good number of yards played a "horrible" game.

Gray said himself that he played poorly in week one.

Of course he did. What's he going to say in an interview? "I was awesome...everyone else sucked"? It's inarguable that the Gophers left a lot of points on the board, and they should've won comfortably, and Gray should've played better, but that doesn't mean he was "horrible" or "sucked".

You won't even say he played below average though. I guess some people have higher standards then others. I thought he should've made more plays and he didn't, imo he was by far the main reason we struggled.

We can argue semantics all we want about things in the past, but it really serves no useful purpose.

Gray can play better than he did in game 1, so can the rest of the team.

Gray can play better than he did in game 2, so can the rest of the team.

I suggest we concentrate on WM and the upcoming game instead of rehashing old feelings and observations from the past and enjoy the fact that we are 2-0, and encourage our guys to make it 3-0.

GO GOPHERS!!!

You won't even say he played below average though. I guess some people have higher standards then others. I thought he should've made more plays and he didn't, imo he was by far the main reason we struggled.

I wouldn't say Gray played really well or really poorly. He's played about average through two games... for him. We pretty much know what we're going to get from him at this point, don't we? Nothing should really be a shocker at this stage of his career, although I have to admit I WAS really shocked when I saw him on that one play against UNH feel some pressure and shuffle laterally in the pocket to buy more time and deliver a strike. I wasn't expecting that, hadn't seen it before. That was pretty cool. Kind of looked like a QB.

I wonder what his stats would have been had we thrown 30 times. I think he could have put up huge numbers and the run game would have been more productive because of it. But I think Kill wants us to be a run team and that's the way it's going to be. It should help the defense out in the BIG season.

QB rating
#1 MarQueis Gray 171.6

#1 MarQueis Gray 9.7

Passing TDs
#T-2 MarQueis Gray 4

Rushing Yards (QBs)
#3 MarQueis Gray 177

Rushing TDs (QBs)
#T-4 MarQueis Gray 2

Total TDs (QBs)
#T-2 MarQueis Gray 6

I must have missed it when someone said he was having a horrible season. Dpodoll is the biggest baby on this board, and I truly think he has some insecurity issues. He's one of those guys that posts on a message board to make him feel better and important.

Just about everyone who said Gray sucked vs UNLV also said that they expect him to play very well against UNH and have a great season. What's funny is you actually think you're making some sort of point with your op. You're not. Gray was great on Saturday, just like myself and most on this board expected.

Gray was bad in the first game (though came on strong late in the game) and was good in the 2nd game. Only problem is the teams they beat are probably not much better than the second team of Michigan St. and Ohio St. lol.

Glad he's having success but I think I'll reserve judgement for a few more games.

Good, bad, mediocre, horrible, great...two games is still too small of a sample size. Let's see what we have after the next two games.

Good, bad, mediocre, horrible, great...two games is still too small of a sample size. Let's see what we have after the next two games.

I think we just don't have enough adjectives to choose from. That's clearly the problem here. Some people are clearly just not comfortable with the word choice of other people.

I'll be consulting Roget's before my next post on the topic.

Top Bottom