Big Ten QB Rankings: Brosmer #13

I'm not surprised he's in the bottom half but it's ridiculous to me to have him behind a guy that has never played college football (Raiola) and another that has only 35 attempts in mop-up duty (Chiles).

I'm not surprised he's in the bottom half but it's ridiculous to me to have him behind a guy that has never played college football (Raiola) and another that has only 35 attempts in mop-up duty (Chiles).
Lists like these are basically just throwing darts at a board and then publishing the list. Lots of new faces in new places and I won't be shocked if this same list ends up looking very different at the end of the season. Brosmer is probably one of the bigger wildcards in the bunch as he put up big numbers at the FCS level but has to prove that success can translate over to power 4 football.

Van Dyke at 3 feels high. But again....darts at a board....

So much wild guessing, projection, and hope here hard to know where to start. Dillon Gabriel probably the only one that makes sense.

Bookmark this one.
Allar at 2 is probably pretty safe as well 25/2 TD/INT ratio last year. But yeah, after that it is really just a wild guess with guys that could finish in the top or bottom 5 pretty easily.

Lists like these are basically just throwing darts at a board and then publishing the list. Lots of new faces in new places and I won't be shocked if this same list ends up looking very different at the end of the season. Brosmer is probably one of the bigger wildcards in the bunch as he put up big numbers at the FCS level but has to prove that success can translate over to power 4 football.

agree. Any QB slotted into our offense is going to be downgraded because of Fleck's heavy run focus. Pre-season is based on expectations and predictions. Show me this list at the end of the year and then let's argue about wether it's correct or not.

Allar at 2 is probably pretty safe as well 25/2 TD/INT ratio last year. But yeah, after that it is really just a wild guess with guys that could finish in the top or bottom 5 pretty easily.

Maybe it was the game I saw but wasn’t that impressed with him either. If I didn’t know he was rated so highly I wouldn’t have guessed it. Pretty hard for a QB to not have good production with high level surrounding cast. Will he better than Moss, or OSU QB transfer, or some of the others. I don’t know.

Last edited:

At this point it is what it is because the only way Max is going to change things is on the field. I suspect that if you heard any conversations with one of the expert "Analyst" off the air every sentence would end with "but that was in the FCS". So, if he starts with two really good games "meaning W's" then eyes will start to open a bit. If he were to follow that up with two more wins involving an upset of Iowa, then he'd suddenly be the biggest surprise in the B1G and the new BTN darling.

Agree on Van Dyke, he's way overrated. His ACC stat line last year was 2,703 yds, 19 TD, 12 INT, 70.8 QBR. So, apparently you can have average stats in a conference with nowhere near the defensive strength of the B1G and suddenly be the 3rd best QB in the B1G. I'm sure glad we got these expert insights from the analysts. As mentioned just turn this graphic into a dart board.

Where was AK ranked at the start of last year?
Just a reference, this was the Athlon 2023 QB Ranking put out on 8/18 of last year.
  1. J.J. McCarthy, Michigan
  2. Taulia Tagovailoa, Maryland
  3. Kyle McCord, Ohio State
  4. Drew Allar, Penn State
  5. Tanner Mordecai, Wisconsin
  6. Cade McNamara, Iowa
  7. Hudson Card, Purdue
  8. Jeff Sims, Nebraska
  9. Athan Kaliakmanis, Minnesota
  10. Luke Altmyer, Illinois
  11. Ben Bryant, Northwestern
  12. Noah Kim, Michigan State
  13. Gavin Wimsatt, Rutgers
  14. Tayven Jackson, Indiana
I'll just say, was Mordecai the 5th best QB in the league last year? Also, I don't think Sims was even the starter after week 5.

Just a reference, this was the Athlon 2023 QB Ranking put out on 8/18 of last year.
  1. J.J. McCarthy, Michigan
  2. Taulia Tagovailoa, Maryland
  3. Kyle McCord, Ohio State
  4. Drew Allar, Penn State
  5. Tanner Mordecai, Wisconsin
  6. Cade McNamara, Iowa
  7. Hudson Card, Purdue
  8. Jeff Sims, Nebraska
  9. Athan Kaliakmanis, Minnesota
  10. Luke Altmyer, Illinois
  11. Ben Bryant, Northwestern
  12. Noah Kim, Michigan State
  13. Gavin Wimsatt, Rutgers
  14. Tayven Jackson, Indiana
I'll just say, was Mordecai the 5th best QB in the league last year? Also, I don't think Sims was even the starter after week 5.
Wow...that is a pretty pathetic collection of QBs overall.

Wow...that is a pretty pathetic collection of QBs overall.

Looking back at the last 5 years or so, statistically TM2 and company 2019 was an incredibly elite effort and it coulda/shoulda been even more impressive without some slippery hands out there at times. Some of these guys playing with elite skill players and aggressive pass-heavy offenses should be putting up much better numbers.

Welp, Max will get to face the best front 7 he has seen in 4 years next Saturday, so we get to put all of this speculation to rest.

Has anyone here actually been to a practice and seen him throw the ball?

Welp, Max will get to face the best front 7 he has seen in 4 years next Saturday, so we get to put all of this speculation to rest.

Lucky for Max, he's playing behind the best offensive line he has ever had.

I know I bought into the AK hype last year (mostly based on the 2022 Wisconsin game. So I’ve been a little more skeptical about Max. The things I like are the accuracy and leadership. He has experience. I am hopeful that he can play at a higher speed than his past competitors pushed him to play at. So I’m thinking he will be closer to 7 or 8 than 13th at the end of the year. Gotta keep him healthy.

Max will also be sitting behind one of the better offensive lines in college football. That should offset the fact he is facing the best defensive front of his career. All said and done the level of heat he feels might not seem that different.

Allar is going to need to show some downfield acumen, His ypa isn’t great, below average really, and he had a lot of below average to awful games against the better teams. Looked scattershot but again I only saw home play once or twice. PSU fans excited?

It was a pretty bad year for the Big Ten quarterbacks and offenses. Mordecai wasn’t terrible but he wasn’t great. Maybe better than their offensive line. Pretty good runner, actually. Wasn’t drafted.

Van Dyke was supposed to be that, never happened, but maybe now?

Hard to know how they calculated these grades...

Someone here at GH said Brosmer's passing stats were padded on a bad team against weak competition. That got my attention.

We will see. Brosmer sounds good to me. He seems to be a leader, smart, a veteran even if the leap up is high, good comp %.

His floor is high I think. Do not know the upside.

I can't help but think that certain programs/certain coaching staffs will adjust better to the "new reality" of constant player transfers and NIL money than others.

For example, last I heard Arch Manning is still waiting his turn at Texas. That's going to become very rare, I'm afraid. I'll bet that many of these kids who were recruited hard as high school studs aren't going to be willing to sit on the bench and learn while the guy ahead of them gets the glory.

Van Dyke was supposed to be that, never happened, but maybe now?

Hard to know how they calculated these grades...

Someone here at GH said Brosmer's passing stats were padded on a bad team against weak competition. That got my attention.

We will see. Rosmer sounds good to me. He seems to be a leader, smart, a veteran even if the leap up is high.

His floor is high I think. Do not know the upside.

I give a fair amount of weight to the things that Quincy Avery says about Brosmer. We shall see.

I can't help but think that certain programs/certain coaching staffs will adjust better to the "new reality" of constant player transfers and NIL money than others.

For example, last I heard Arch Manning is still waiting his turn at Texas. That's going to become very rare, I'm afraid. I'll bet that many of these kids who were recruited hard as high school studs aren't going to be willing to sit on the bench and learn while the guy ahead of them gets the glory.
He definitely has the benefit of having a few family members well-versed in the sport to get advice from. Unlike some other kids whose family members/friends have the chasing dollar signs and short-term rewards.

Behind the best O line he has had in 4 years too

Two things:
  1. I was indignant he was ranked 2nd to last…until I saw the list and remembered there’s 18 teams this year. Dudes, it is gonna take a LOOOOONG time for me to get used to that.
  2. Michigan’s QB last name is Orji?

I give a fair amount of weight to the things that Quincy Avery says about Brosmer. We shall see.

I had to look that up. Thanks.

Top Bottom