Big Ten Power Rankings.

NoelarBear

Reaction score
https://gopherhole.com/noels-week-three-big-ten-power-rankings/.

Noel’s Big Ten Power Rankings

1. Iowa (3-0)
Last Week: Defeated Kent State 30-7
Tyler Goodson led the #5 Hawkeyes with 153 yards and 3 touchdowns. Iowa held Kent State to a total of 264 yards on offense. For the first time this year, Iowa didn’t win the turnover battle.
Up Next: Colorado State

2. Penn State (3-0)
Last Week: Defeated #22 Auburn 28-20
With referees miscues and USC rumors swirling around, Penn State was able to beat #22 Auburn in Happy Valley. Good enough to jump Ohio State and claim the 2nd spot in our weekly power rankings.
Up Next: Villanova

3. Ohio State (2-1)
Last Week: Defeated Tulsa 41-20
Freshman running back TreVeyon Henderson booked Archie Griffin’s 49-year-old freshman rushing record, running for 277 yards and three touchdowns. No one doubts how good the offense is, but Ohio State defense gave up 501 yards to Tulsa, who is 0-3
Up Next: Akron

4. Wisconsin (1-1)
Wisconsin was idle this past week.
Up Next: Notre Dame

5. Michigan (3-0)
Last Week: Defeated N Illinois 63-10
Who needs to pass when you can run for almost 400 yards? Michigan took care of Northern Illinois 63-10 with Blake Corum going for 125 years and 3 touchdowns. Michigan starting QB Mcnamara only attempted 11 passes.
Up Next: Rutgers

6. Michigan State (3-0)
Last Week: Defeated #24 Miami 38-17
The Spartans silenced many doubters to their surprising season by going to #24 Miami and beating them 38-17. Quarterback Payton Thorne is 8th in the nation with 9 touchdowns this season and he threw 2 of those in the 4th quarter which Michigan State put up 21 points to put away Miami
Up Next: Nebraska

7. Minnesota (2-1)
Last Week: Defeated Colorado 30-0
Pretty impressive response from the Gophers, who went from barely beating Miami (OH) last week to shutting out and dominating Colorado at their place. It was the Gophers first shutout since 2006 and first at a power conference since 1977.
Up Next: Bowling Green

8. Rutgers (3-0)
Last Week: Defeated Delaware 45-13
Rutgers is 3-0 for the first time since 2012 as they beat Delaware 45-13. Rutgers offense is averaging 37 points a game but will face their toughest test next week as they go to Ann Arbor.
Up Next: Michigan

9. Maryland (3-0)
Last week: Defeated Illinois 20-17
It sure wasn’t the prettiest game and it is never a sure thing to go on the road on the Big Ten to win but Maryland got it done thanks to 32-yard field goal by Joseph Petrino as time expired against Illinois.
Up Next: Kent State

10. Nebraska (2-2)
Last Week: Lost to Oklahoma 23-16
Watching the game, you would have had no idea Nebraska were 22 point underdogs against Oklahoma as their defense kept them in the entire game. If only Adrian Martenez can get some help on the offensive line.
Up Next: @Michigan State

11. Purdue (2-1)
Last Week: Lost to Notre Dame 27-13
For 3 quarters this game was close until Notre Dame scored 10 unanswered points in the 4th quarter. Already without their starting running back, WR stud David Bell entered concussion protocol and could be out this upcoming week.
Up Next: Illinois

12. Indiana (1-2)
Last Week: Lost to Cincinnati 38-24
Indiana started the game off strong with 14 consecutive points until Cincinnati scored 17 straight. Up by 1 at the end of the 3rd quarter, Cincinnati would score the only points in the 4th by scoring two touchdowns. Indiana Qb Michael Penix Jr struggled throwing for 3 interceptions.
Up Next: @ Western Kentucky

13.Northwestern (1-2)
Last Week: Lost to Duke 30-23
Duke would score the first 27 points and then hold on to beat Northwestern 30-23. Northwestern QB Andrew Marty was 11/16 for 151 yards and 2 touchdowns but didn’t have enough time to get out the hole Northwestern dug itself into at the beginning of the game.
Up Next: Ohio

14. Illinois (1-3)
Last Week: Lost to Maryland 20-17
Good News: They held Maryland to 20 points as they entered the game scoring 46 points a game. Bad News: They only scored 17 points.
Up Next: @ Purdue

Last edited:

Hard to argue with much of the list. If I'm nitpicking I'm definitely putting Michigan and MSU in front of Wisconsin though.
I was thinking the same thing. I feel like Wisconsin is in effectively the same place we are: haven't beaten anybody really good (though our Colorado win is much better than Eastern Washington), but also lost to the only really good team they played.

My thoughts are this: I'm not the biggest fan of "punishing" teams or lowering teams because they didn't play.

Also, Wisconsin's defense is legit and I am putting a lot of eggs into that basket. Just not sure Michigan and Michigan Sate can beat them at this moment.

I'd also still have Indiana above Rutgers and Maryland. Record is worse, strength of schedule is a mile better. My gut says Indiana will handle both of them.

I'd also still have Indiana above Rutgers and Maryland. Record is worse, strength of schedule is a mile better. My gut says Indiana will handle both of them.
The Hoosiers were ranked as high as #13 in preseason polls. They have a very good team but the injury to watch is their QB Penix. That one would really hurt if he goes down. IU will be a very tough game for the Gophers to win - they never do very well down there (but it's been a while.) I completely agree with your statement - I would take the Hoosiers any day over Rutgers and Maryland!

The Hoosiers were ranked as high as #13 in preseason polls. They have a very good team but the injury to watch is their QB Penix. That one would really hurt if he goes down. IU will be a very tough game for the Gophers to win - they never do very well down there (but it's been a while.) I completely agree with your statement - I would take the Hoosiers any day over Rutgers and Maryland!
I don't buy this -- they were extremely lucky turning the ball over last year -- they beat PSU on a questionable (at best) call last year. They played Ohio State reasonably close, but so did we and I don't think that makes us a very good team.

Since we're only 3 games in and have seen enough to see a few trends, but not enough to draw conclusions, here's a mildly contrarian list.

1. Ohio State
2. Penn State
3. Iowa
4. Michigan
5. Minnesota
6. Michigan State
7. Wisconsin
8. Maryland
9. Indiana
10. Rutgers
11. Nebraska
12. Purdue
13. Northwestern
14. Illinois

Ohio State is still the king until a Big Ten team proves otherwise.

I think Minnesota is a more explosive and less predictable team with CrAB, and the defense has always improved throughout the season under Fleck and Rossi. We've seen our worst defensive games. First of the middle tier.

I'm more down on Wisconsin than most. I see how they were mediocre in 2018 and 2020 so this would not be surprising. Their QB is not very good. I think they lose to ND this weekend

I like Maryland for the opposite reason. Their QB might be best in conference. I also believe in Schiano at Rutgers.

Bottom of the Big Ten West might be the 4 worst teams in the league. At least one of these teams will wind up with a decent record by beating the others.

Last edited:

We can stop with the barely beat Miami of OH. The game was never in doubt.

Well yeah because Notre Dame barely beat Toledo, Florida State, and Purdue. The best of those three might be Purdue
Jack Coan has played better than Graham Mertz this season. ND might actually win

IU will be a very tough game for the Gophers to win - they never do very well down there (but it's been a while.) I completely agree with your statement - I would take the Hoosiers any day over Rutgers and Maryland!

The last two matchups with Indiana (2013, 2018) were at Indiana and the Gophers won both. The Gophers took big leads in both but lost them. 2013 was a nail biter at the end (42-39); both teams combined for over a 1,000 yards. 2018 was close too but only because we blew a 31-9 lead entering the 4th quarter. Tanner and Bateman had to rescue us with a 67 yard TD pass with a little over a minute remaining. That was Tanner's first 300+ yards passing game.

Why doesn't Indiania play us in Mpls?
Must be skeered.

Since we're only 3 games in and have seen enough to see a few trends, but not enough to draw conclusions, here's a mildly contrarian list.

1. Ohio State
2. Penn State
3. Iowa
4. Michigan
5. Minnesota
6. Michigan State
7. Wisconsin
8. Maryland
9. Indiana
10. Rutgers
11. Nebraska
12. Purdue
13. Northwestern
14. Illinois

Ohio State is still the king until a Big Ten team proves otherwise.

I think Minnesota is a more explosive and less predictable team with CrAB, and the defense has always improved throughout the season under Fleck and Rossi. We've seen our worst defensive games. First of the middle tier.

I'm more down on Wisconsin than most. I see how they were mediocre in 2018 and 2020 so this would not be surprising. Their QB is not very good. I think they lose to ND this weekend

I like Maryland for the opposite reason. Their QB might be best in conference. I also believe in Schiano at Rutgers.

Bottom of the Big Ten West might be the 4 worst teams in the league. At least one of these teams will wind up with a decent record by beating the others.
I can go with this.

The last two matchups with Indiana (2013, 2018) were at Indiana and the Gophers won both. The Gophers took big leads in both but lost them. 2013 was a nail biter at the end (42-39); both teams combined for over a 1,000 yards. 2018 was close too but only because we blew a 31-9 lead entering the 4th quarter. Tanner and Bateman had to rescue us with a 67 yard TD pass with a little over a minute remaining. That was Tanner's first 300+ yards passing game.
The 2018 game was a cold, rainy one on a Friday night at TCF, no?

Jack Coan has played better than Graham Mertz this season. ND might actually win
My brother, a badger alum, and I agreed that we'd feel much better about UW's chances if the starting quarterbacks were flipped. Bud Elliot, a national recruiting analyst for 247 sports, is already on a full blown sell the entire '19 class of quarterbacks -- and from what we've seen from the elite of that class the returns do not look great.

My brother, a badger alum, and I agreed that we'd feel much better about UW's chances if the starting quarterbacks were flipped. Bud Elliot, a national recruiting analyst for 247 sports, is already on a full blown sell the entire '19 class of quarterbacks -- and from what we've seen from the elite of that class the returns do not look great.
Rattler?

He and his compatriots on the Cover 3 podcast are down on Rattler. Tom Fornelli has believed all offseason that the backup, Caleb Williams, is the best qb in that room. I generally like the podcast, but it is too gambling heavy for my liking.

Kind of a surprising statement but when I look at the class, it's crazy how many recruits have transfered since their commitment.

Rattler, Nix, Howell, Mertz, Daniels, Tua's Brother, Duggan. Should be a great group but thats why recruiting rankings mean nothing.

Of the top 25 qbs in that class 8 have transferred.

You openly admit you have a badger anything? It's hard to friends anymore.... Just kidding. Maybe Coan transferred for a reason and he didn't want to regress under Chryst. Just maybe. I know nothing like Sergeant Schultz.

You openly admit you have a badger anything? It's hard to friends anymore.... Just kidding. Maybe Coan transferred for a reason and he didn't want to regress under Chryst. Just maybe. I know nothing like Sergeant Schultz.
One of my favorite memories was when he was a freshman at UW -- we were walking down 15th to the Gopher Badger game in '13 and some drunk badger yells at him "eat $#!%" and he was so confused and taken aback that someone was cursing at him that I had to yell back ")*^& you"

But he went there because we don't have a nuclear engineering program

Kind of a surprising statement but when I look at the class, it's crazy how many recruits have transfered since their commitment.

Rattler, Nix, Howell, Mertz, Daniels, Tua's Brother, Duggan. Should be a great group but thats why recruiting rankings mean nothing.

Of the top 25 qbs in that class 8 have transferred.
we can agree to disagree but statistically that is not true

Look at any NFL draft year. Percentage-wise, 5-Star, and 4-Star players have a higher chance of getting drafted.

Some HS kids depending on where they played are either overrated or underrated recruiting-wise. Some are true late bloomers. Some are duds.

Some pan out, Others don't. Some players are as advertised. Others who are underrated are pleasant surprises.

A recruit may be a BMOC in HS. In college, he finds he is average Joe. The game speed is quicker. He is run-of-the-mill raw, gets redshirted, and puts in the hard work.

In a couple of years, you have a Boye Mafe. You will have a Blais Andries who plays to his potential. You will have a Rashad Chenney who end up transferring. You have John Micheal Schmitz who plays like a 4 or 5-Star. Bucky Irving is as advertised. Justin Wally was very underrated in HS.

Take a look at the Gophers football roster and judge for yourself. https://247sports.com/Team/Minnesota-75/Roster/

The 2018 game was a cold, rainy one on a Friday night at TCF, no?

Yes, rare Friday night game. I don't remember the weather since I was watching it from my living room.

Yes, rare Friday night game. I don't remember the weather since I was watching it from my living room.
Cold. Rainy. Shannon Brooks came back and then injured again. Morgan to Bateman for the deep TD pass to win the game.

Cold. Rainy. Shannon Brooks came back and then injured again. Morgan to Bateman for the deep TD pass to win the game.
Ahh ... that's right.

We were rolling over them when Brooks was playing. Him getting hurt took all the wind out of our sails, and they nearly came all the way back to win the game.

Top Bottom