Big Ten Power Rankings entering 2023

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Paul Harvey first out of the gate:

7. Minnesota​

Last Season: 9-4

Minnesota has won at least 9 games in 3 straight full-length seasons (3-4 in the COVID-shortened 2020 campaign). PJ Fleck has things clicking for the Gophers, though it is worth noting Minnesota was one of the most experienced teams in the country last year. The good news is new starting QB Athan Kaliakmanis got his feet wet with 11 appearances during 2022.

Go Gophers!!

This is a new one for this current off season. Has Iowa at 4, Illinois all the way up at 5 and Wisconsin down at 8.

Just a couple more days till we get the season started.....Can't wait!

Paul Harvey first out of the gate:

7. Minnesota​

Last Season: 9-4

Minnesota has won at least 9 games in 3 straight full-length seasons (3-4 in the COVID-shortened 2020 campaign). PJ Fleck has things clicking for the Gophers, though it is worth noting Minnesota was one of the most experienced teams in the country last year. The good news is new starting QB Athan Kaliakmanis got his feet wet with 11 appearances during 2022.

Go Gophers!!
“… got his feet wet with 11 appearances “ …. Dumb way to put it. Could mean he knelt down on 11 snaps to end games. AK started five games and played the entire second half of another. He didn’t finish the last start due to injury.

That is the same experience Tanner brought in 2019 when he scored the best QB season in Gopher history.

Finally a power ranking that's fairly neutral and uses some common sense in the rankings. I can see the rankings being interchangeable between us, ILL, and MD, and there's no ridiculous placement of Wisconsin in the top five like I've seen almost everywhere else. Wisconsin will be down this year. They might be really good in the future, but this year isn't it. Bank it.

This is the most accurate pre-season ranking I’ve seen. No team slid up the list because of a coaching change - it seems to be based on actual talent.

I don't understand the Illinois love. Bert can coach, but they lost a lot from last season and I don't think who they're replacing them with are nearly as good.

Finally a power ranking that's fairly neutral and uses some common sense in the rankings. I can see the rankings being interchangeable between us, ILL, and MD, and there's no ridiculous placement of Wisconsin in the top five like I've seen almost everywhere else. Wisconsin will be down this year. They might be really good in the future, but this year isn't it. Bank it.
What does down mean? 6-6?

Not a bad ranking at all. Wisconsin is a real unknown, so putting them lower until they prove otherwise makes sense to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they won 10 or won only 6. New coaches, new system, etc.....big question marks. It'll be interesting to see what happens with them.

I think Bielema is a good coach and Iowa's offense is downright offensive, so I might flip those two. Top 3 are what they should be. I dunno, looks like a good list to me.

Top Bottom