Big Ten owes Gopher players an apology

There is a simple solution to the moral outrage expressed on this topic.
The coach could forgo the bowl if past experience showed the turf to be unsatisfactory.
The sponsors of the bowl have to pay rent and often only a few venues are available.
I fail to see how the condition of the field is worthy of all the pearl-clutching.

TF did the state pay 1B to build one of the 5 best football stadiums in the world if it’s not going to host the CFP championship, the Big Ten Championship, a bowl game, or even the FCS Championship.

TF did the state pay 1B to build one of the 5 best football stadiums in the world if it’s not going to host the CFP championship, the Big Ten Championship, a bowl game, or even the FCS Championship.
Why would any of those events want to come here? Maybe the B1G championship. The others? Pointless to spend January here

Why would any of those events want to come here? Maybe the B1G championship. The others? Pointless to spend January here
It’s not spending January here.
The games are played on a single day and mostly in December. Many draw <10,000 actual fans, and far less touring fans. And with MSP, Minneapolis is just far easier to get to than most places with decent football stadiums. Not to mention, these are clearly made for TV productions. If you don’t think the fans in attendance are even a consideration you’re kidding yourself.

Last edited:

It’s not spending January here.
The games are played on a single day and mostly in December. They draw <10,000 fans. And with MSP, Minneapolis is just far easier to get to than most places with decent football stadiums. Not to mention, these are clearly made for TV productions. If you don’t think the fans in attendance are even a consideration you’re kidding yourself.
So we all complain about a New York City bowl game but you think hosting here makes sense? I’d spend 0 days in Minnesota in January if it was up to me.

And bowl games in general don’t draw under 10,000 fans. And if they do—why would they want to host? The stadium doesn’t need shitty events. It has plenty of those.

Technology exists quite easily to truck in a portable artificial turf field, that could be laid down on top of the grass/dirt baseball surface on top of a tarp.

US Bank Stadium I believe the turf field is not permanent, and they bring it in/out in pieces? Not sure if they roll it up or if it sits in pallets.

Something could be done.
That would cut into their profit margin, which is not happening.

The announced "attendance" for the Pinstripe Bowl was just around 31,000...pretty close to what the Yankees organization predicted.

Butts-in-the-Seats looked like maybe 20,000 from the camera angles...maybe...

So we all complain about a New York City bowl game but you think hosting here makes sense? I’d spend 0 days in Minnesota in January if it was up to me.
The complaints about the NY bowl that I heard were cost, facility (non-football specific), and game being played outdoors in a cold climate. None of those are factors here.

I get the appeal of a warm-weather destination for winter events. But the reality is, that’s just one factor among dozens.

Well, the Pinstripe has the provision that they want a different team every year if possible. So even if the Pinstripe keeps its affiliation with the B1G, the odds are that the Gophers will not be going back to that bowl for a number of years.

Of course, the various conference agreements could be re-worked once the new playoff system goes into effect.

I suppose the B1G could say they don't want to be affiliated with the Pinstripe bowl any more. We'll see what the new Commissioner does. (if Warren gets the job with Da Bears)

Yes, as someone noted it is very ironic that a giant turf mowing company put its name on a bowl game in which the turf was absolute sh#t. You would think that of all the sponsors, Bad Boy Mowers would be interested in having their bowl game played on decent turf.
Agree with the irony, but I think calling them a giant turf mowing company is a stretch.

2021 Guaranteed rate Bowl = horrible field conditions

2022 Guaranteed Rate Bowl = horrible field conditions

2022 Holiday Bowl = horrible field conditions

2022 Pinstripe Bowl = horrible field conditions

There certainly was something in common among all these examples. If you are not sure what it is I will give you a hint: it is NOT New York City or even a northern climate.
Yep....need to stop playing football games in baseball stadiums. There are plenty of football stadiums out there, move these games to a field that is designed for football.

Just sucks watching guys unable to get good footing because the turf is so crappy. Shouldn't be like that.

Yes, as someone noted it is very ironic that a giant turf mowing company put its name on a bowl game in which the turf was absolute sh#t. You would think that of all the sponsors, Bad Boy Mowers would be interested in having their bowl game played on decent turf.
It was well mowed! That wasn't the problem :)

I’ve often said “we can’t have nice things” when the Vikings blow a playoff game, the Twins get swept, the Gophers lose to Bowling Green, etc. It’s just part of my defense mechanism from all the sporting failures we have endured. It is amazing how short the bridge is between feeling sorry for ourselves and actually not wanting nice things.

There have always been a significant number of Minnesotans that become jaded enough to actually not want nice things. It’s a tiny minority but they go out of their way to press forward the narrative that we aren’t good enough. It somehow becomes more rewarding for them to rip on everything here.

Detroit has been hosting a bowl game for years. Detroit!

There are a million things that could come into play here to put on a bowl game better than what Detroit has offered. But, the negative Nancy types will always be here to tell us how we aren’t good enough.

And I love January in MN. MN has been the fastest growing northern/rust belt state for a lot of reasons. This growth has been despite the “we suck” crowd.

The Bowl Host; the TV network, respective conferences, and last but not least, the schools.
The gophers spent every dollar + some to travel and do all of this. Mid-tier Bowls are not profitable for the team/conferences.

I doubt the Yankees made much of any money from this game. ESPN? Sure. Conference? See above about the team.
I’ve often said “we can’t have nice things” when the Vikings blow a playoff game, the Twins get swept, the Gophers lose to Bowling Green, etc. It’s just part of my defense mechanism from all the sporting failures we have endured. It is amazing how short the bridge is between feeling sorry for ourselves and actually not wanting nice things.

There have always been a significant number of Minnesotans that become jaded enough to actually not want nice things. It’s a tiny minority but they go out of their way to press forward the narrative that we aren’t good enough. It somehow becomes more rewarding for them to rip on everything here.

There are a million things that could come into play here to put on a bowl game better than what Detroit has offered. But, the negative Nancy types will always be here to tell us how we aren’t good enough.

And I love January in MN. MN has been the fastest growing northern/rust belt state for a lot of reasons. This growth has been despite the “we suck” crowd.
Detroit has sponsors and a city willing to do it. Detroit is also nice 🤷🏼‍♂️

If you really want a bowl game—get one. The organizers can make over $1 million—more for groups and whatever else if they are involved. All you need to do is line up some sponsors and rent the stadium. ESPN will cover it because they like the tv audiences. You’ve laid our some good reasons as to why Minnesota should have a bowl game already.

As for me—I’m from here. I’ve never left. I’ll never leave. Obviously I like it. But to bring Texas Western to play Albuquerque A&M on Christmas morning—I think the appeal is lacking. Maybe you get affiliated with a couple decent conferences and get better teams?

There is a simple solution to the moral outrage expressed on this topic.
The coach could forgo the bowl if past experience showed the turf to be unsatisfactory.
The sponsors of the bowl have to pay rent and often only a few venues are available.
I fail to see how the condition of the field is worthy of all the pearl-clutching.
There’s a lot more to a coach making that call….. that impacts a lot of people.

Where just playing bowl games on better fields is a net positive.

Yep....need to stop playing football games in baseball stadiums. There are plenty of football stadiums out there, move these games to a field that is designed for football.

Just sucks watching guys unable to get good footing because the turf is so crappy. Shouldn't be like that.
I’d be more interested in traveling if the game was at say MetLife stadium.

I’ve no interest in going to Yankee stadium and seeing… not the yankees. The stadium is only a negative for me.

So this! I’ve never understood why Detroit has a damn bowl game and we can’t have one in Minneapolis?? Please! It’s beyond ridiculous.

So this! I’ve never understood why Detroit has a damn bowl game and we can’t have one in Minneapolis?? Please! It’s beyond ridiculous.
It's because the MAC schools are relatively all right there. Would guess all the Michigan and Ohio MAC schools can get to Detroit in a 4 or less hour drive?

That really is it.

Minneapolis unfortunately is in no such situation. Almost all fanbases would have to fly here.

Lot of them would be saying "fly to a really cold place, to stay indoors the whole time and play an indoor football game? Hmm.."

The gophers spent every dollar + some to travel and do all of this. Mid-tier Bowls are not profitable for the team/conferences.
The pinstripe bowl pays out $4.4M. The Gophers would have had to send 150 people, stay five days, and then spend $6K per person per day to not make money on that trip. The Ritz Central Park is like $1K per night. I've never chartered a flight but maybe that's another $1K per person. Sending a couple of freight trucks is like $10K total. There's just no way that bowl isn't profitable.

Also, it all goes to the conference anyway.

Last edited:

The pinstripe bowl pays out $4.4M. The Gophers would have had to send 150 people, stay five days, and then spend $6K per person per day to not make money on that trip. The Ritz Central Park is like $1K per night.

Also, it all goes to the conference anyway.
They get 1/2 that money…because Syracuse got the other half. And they travel well over 150 people. Players alone is 100. Staff, coaches, all the other add ons. Admins, boosters, families, etc.

I’m just going off what has been reported by Forbes, ESPN, major newspapers, etc.

They get 1/2 that money…because Syracuse got the other half. And they travel well over 150 people. Players alone is 100. Staff, coaches, all the other add ons. Admins, boosters, families, etc.

I’m just going off what has been reported by Forbes, ESPN, major newspapers, etc.
I believe the quoted payout figures for bowls are indeed per conference. So both the Big Ten and ACC got $4.4M for the game.

TV and title sponsor pay a lot of that bill, I suspect. Guessing the city of NYC subsidizes some portion of the game, as a "loss leader" to get people in town and spending money.

Yankees just pocket the gate and renting out the stadium. For the s__ty surface and field layout.

Do you have a link? I totally believe that about the Bahamas bowl, for example. The Pinstripe bowl is a little too rich for me to believe that the the teams don't net positive.

I am reasonably sure that if you gave me a million dollars that I could figure out a way to get the Gopher football team and entourage to Tokyo without going over budget.

Let’s just win a few more games and then we can play in a meaningful bowl. See you boys next august. Here’s to hoping the wild make a cup run in the meantime, later haters.

Top Bottom