Big Ten not interested in Cal, Stanford, Washington, and Oregon at this time

The same Cal that's 0-11 in basketball and 4-8 in football? Maybe they can replace St Thomas in the MIAC
Wow. 0-11 is crazy for a P5 school in non-conference basketball.

Even the Gophers are keeping it around .500 and they might not win a conference game.

Wow. 0-11 is crazy for a P5 school in non-conference basketball.

Even the Gophers are keeping it around .500 and they might not win a conference game.
To be fair they've had one of hardest schedules in nation. Losses to UC Davis, UC San Diego, Southern, Texas St, and Eastern Washington; all locks for top tournament seeds

It's timing. Right now it wants to get those two teams integrated. I have no doubt Warren is looking at more teames from Pac-12, just not in the immediate future.
I’d rather see Warren stir it to the SEC and poach a team like Missouri or similar to go with ND and maybe a couple from the Pac12.

I’d rather see Warren stir it to the SEC and poach a team like Missouri or similar to go with ND and maybe a couple from the Pac12.
That's not going to happen. Not a market to go after and what would be Zou's incentive to make the move? At least $30 million exit fee with notice, and $45 million without two year notice.

Where are you getting those viewer numbers?

for some reason, when i just paste the url it truncates to something unreadable

google "ncaa football tv viewers by school" and scroll down to medium.com

That's not going to happen. Not a market to go after and what would be Zou's incentive to make the move? At least $30 million exit fee with notice, and $45 million without two year notice.
I just think the Big10 should expand to the south and put the SEC on notice. Not saying I think Missouri is the school but just an example of one that may be a fit.

A couple more teams on the west coast would make the conference the WideTen, would it not?

I agree that the B1G will - at some point - look to add more West Coast teams - or at least teams in the Western time Zone.

they almost have to for scheduling purposes, and to create a new tier of late-night games for TV viewers.

my point on the earlier post is that when the B1G is ready to add more teams, they want it to look like their idea - not like it was being suggested or pushed on them by some other organization.

It felt old, but not outdated. Very simple inside the stadium. The whole trip was really cool - they were playing Navy which brought another whole side of it. My first time seeing a service academy in person.

The ND band greeted Navy at the stadium. The basketball arena was open on game day and they had a 'legend meet and greet' - I assume they do this every game, the game I was at was Reggie Brooks and some other play from the late 80s/early 90s. We did the trumpets under the dome, the prayer grotto, etc. All just 'cool' stuff.
You make want to visit, and I'm Baptist!

College sports no longer have any connection to academics.
The B1G still does. Still all AAU schools (except Nebraska, and we've discussed this a ton here, so I needn't explain it.) All CIC members, which brings in a LOT more shared grant money than football.

From the basketball side (and academics), Duke and North Carolina will eventually join the Big Ten.

Right now 16 teams divides nicely playoffs and so forth. The next move should be to 20. More west coast teams will eventually arrive.

The addition of UCLA and USC is great! I know there's resistance but it's great for lots of reasons.

Airfare is not expensive. Get off the plane and you feel sun and more sun. And more sun.

It's a big market.

I'm real excited about the basketball side of Big Ten expansion to USC and UCLA.

Notre Dame will eventually end up in the Big Ten or a mostly Big Ten arrangement. First, need a few years to burn through the contract years and penalties.

Notre Dame will eventually end up in the Big Ten or a mostly Big Ten arrangement. First, need a few years to burn through the contract years and penalties.
Oh, I agree for FB. Just a matter of time. Getting the rest of its sports teams from the ACC to the B1G will be a little more work.

I think it was a mistake by Commissioner Warren to not immediately add at least 2 more West Coast teams, which would do two things: Lockup more TV households, and make travel a little easier for the west coast teams.

Who knows what the PAC will look like in a few years and the teams that are now available may not be if their situation improves.

I wonder what the end game is for the big 10. How many teams do they plan to add? I just hope the rivalries are preserved. They will probably dick it up for money. Classic.

I think it was a mistake by Commissioner Warren to not immediately add at least 2 more West Coast teams, which would do two things: Lockup more TV households, and make travel a little easier for the west coast teams.

Who knows what the PAC will look like in a few years and the teams that are now available may not be if their situation improves.
Any team not in the SEC or B1G will perpetually want in. The money situation is only going to get worse. And that will ultimately affect competitiveness by those teams. Just like no team will leave the B1G and no team will leave the SEC unless it's to join the B1G.

You have to believe that Warren, the Big Ten leadership, and their TV partners discussed every option and school in the PAC, to kick the tires on what appetite was there to pay for these extra schools. That's the thing that kept them out: our three-headed TV contract said "we're good with what we've purchased (current B1G + USC/UCLA) ... let's see how that plays out for us for a bit before we load more in".

I don't think expansion is done long-term. Just like I think most people could see that the playoff needed to expand, I think most people can see that it makes too much sense to add more west teams. It will get there, but as with most things: take a (baby) step, evaluate what happened, take another (baby) step, re-evaluate, etc.

So what’s everyone’s opinion on 9pm starts? Not a fan myself but likely to happen on west coast games unless the Big10 specifically rules out evening games on the west coast.
It's not a 9pm start if you travel out there and watch the game with the team....for football anyway not so much for other sports.

I just think the Big10 should expand to the south and put the SEC on notice. Not saying I think Missouri is the school but just an example of one that may be a fit.
I would think there’s a major expansion at some point.
Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Oregon, Washington, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia tech, Florida state, notre dame, Boston college, Baylor, Kansas, ok state

That’s 30
That’s 404 electoral votes if you include NY

The schools that dont “fit the profile” are ok state, Baylor, Boston college, notre dame

Northeast
Penn state
Notre dame
Boston college
Rutgers
Maryland

South
Baylor
Florida state
Virginia
Georgia tech
North Carolina

West
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois

East
Purdue
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan state
Ohio state

southwest
USC
UCLA
Washington
Arizona
Oregon

Central
Colorado
Kansas
Ok state
Nebraska
Utah

Play your division (4) plus an entire other division that rotates every year. (Play everyone at least twice every 10 years via rotation)
Play 3 random from other divisions (locked protected games like Notre Dame-USC can be asked for).

Would be impossible for more than 3 teams to be unbeaten in that schedule.

Last edited:

Top Bottom