Big Ten Network - Helpful Recruiting

MennoSota

Reaction score
Did anyone catch the post game show on the Big 10 Network after the Gopher v Penn State game?

I loved the free recruiting they did for the Gophers when they said that parents of 4 star recruits would love to send their child to play basketball with Ben Johnson as the coach.

They kept saying how recruits should comsider playing for Ben. I have never heard anyone say that before about Gopher basketball. I was thrilled to hear it yesterday and I hope Ben can use that clip to encourage kids to join him at UMN.

The sky looks maroon and gold in the land of sky blue waters!

Did anyone catch the post game show on the Big 10 Network after the Gopher v Penn State game?

I loved the free recruiting they did for the Gophers when they said that parents of 4 star recruits would love to send their child to play basketball with Ben Johnson as the coach.

They kept saying how recruits should comsider playing for Ben. I have never heard anyone say that before about Gopher basketball. I was thrilled to hear it yesterday and I hope Ben can use that clip to encourage kids to join him at UMN.

The sky looks maroon and gold in the land of sky blue waters!
If Ben shows that clip to try to convince kids to commit here it is embarrassing.

If Ben shows that clip to try to convince kids to commit here it is embarrassing.
Should read if Ben HAS to show that clip, it’s already to late.
Boys, the point is that it was a really positive comment about Ben Johnson and the Gophers. Any kid watching the post game is going to think, "I hope Ben contacts me." This is great press for the Gophers and Ben Johnson didn't have to say anything.

Boys, the point is that it was a really positive comment about Ben Johnson and the Gophers. Any kid watching the post game is going to think, "I hope Ben contacts me." This is great press for the Gophers and Ben Johnson didn't have to say anything.
Might help recruiting in-state and regionally! I doubt recruits from the South or West Coast are watching much BTN!

I guess I'd rather have the talking heads saying nice things about MN as opposed to saying they stunk.

Yeah, may not make any real difference in recruiting, but still nice to have something positive to focus on.

Negative talk about any team on the network is a no no.

Might help recruiting in-state and regionally! I doubt recruits from the South or West Coast are watching much BTN!

Well, when it comes to recruits from far away places, you only need to reach a small number. We do manage to get recruits from the south and southwest in football and basketball and we have a basketball recruit from California this year.

I think you're assuming that prep stars across the country all grew up with a strong affiliations to a particular regional conference. That's the case here because this state has only one D1 football team and, until this season, only one D1 basketball team. Wisconsin would be similar although perhaps a bit less so in basketball because of Marquette. Both of those states also have a very long association with one major conference. In larger states with more D1 programs I don't think that's the case as much.

BTN is available nationally although some cable companies don't include it in out-of-market areas. It's a very big selling point to recruits because friends and family can watch them from far away places and it gives them a chance as prep players to see our teams when they aren't on ESPN.

Well, when it comes to recruits from far away places, you only need to reach a small number. We do manage to get recruits from the south and southwest in football and basketball and we have a basketball recruit from California this year.

I think you're assuming that prep stars across the country all grew up with a strong affiliations to a particular regional conference. That's the case here because this state has only one D1 football team and, until this season, only one D1 basketball team. Wisconsin would be similar although perhaps a bit less so in basketball because of Marquette. Both of those states also have a very long association with one major conference. In larger states with more D1 programs I don't think that's the case as much.

BTN is available nationally although some cable companies don't include it in out-of-market areas. It's a very big selling point to recruits because friends and family can watch them from far away places and it gives them a chance as prep players to see our teams when they aren't on ESPN.
On the last paragraph, true BTN is available nationally. I'm in the Tampa Bay area and it's available from Spectrum. I do have to subscribe to a certain tier to receive it so that limits exposure. SEC and ACC networks are available on the expanded basic service so they have broader availability.

I dont know that we would want “any” kid to play ball here, but I know what youre trying to say and it brings up an interesting question.

the 4 and 5 star kids, what games do they actually watch? I doubt MN - Penn State drew many 4 star kids ro watch on tv

I dont know that we would want “any” kid to play ball here, but I know what youre trying to say and it brings up an interesting question.

the 4 and 5 star kids, what games do they actually watch? I doubt MN - Penn State drew many 4 star kids ro watch on tv
I don't think kids, or even people in their 20's necessarily watch a sporting event from start to finish. Too often. Ratings for the Olympics are really low, but a lot of younger people are watching the clips that they want to watch on Social Media. As for Tre Demps comments, I'd rather him say that then not say it, very nice praise, but I doubt it's going to swing any one recruits opinion and I doubt Ben would even consider it in his pitch, but it never hurts to have people say positive about you and I hope Ben can live up to that positive praise and get some guys in here the next couple of classes. Off to a good start in 2022

people really gas up Ben Johnson but the W column in the standings is what the kids pay attention to.

people really gas up Ben Johnson but the W column in the standings is what the kids pay attention to.
I would bet that fans pay way more attention to the W column than recruits do.

For recruits I would think things like coaching staff, playing style, playing time prospects, NBA development.....would all rank ahead of what the teams record was.

Obviously the top recruits are going to be drawn to the elite programs. But for the majority of the recruits out there the team's record prior to their arrival isn't going to be a massive factor in their decision.

For recruits I would think things like coaching staff, playing style, playing time prospects, NBA development.....would all rank ahead of what the teams record was.

Obviously the top recruits are going to be drawn to the elite programs. But for the majority of the recruits out there the team's record prior to their arrival isn't going to be a massive factor in their decision.
You W-L record can get you in the door because of notoriety, but it's not nearly as influential as many want it to be. The things you mentioned along are what keeps you in conversation. W-L record is a lot more helpful in football recruiting vs. hoops.

Agree all of the above and believe the prospect of early playing time might be strongest incentive. You can't get your talent recognized without being on the floor. Add to that, kids with some talent and confidence always believe they can be instrumental in turning a down program around.

I don't think kids, or even people in their 20's necessarily watch a sporting event from start to finish. Too often. Ratings for the Olympics are really low, but a lot of younger people are watching the clips that they want to watch on Social Media. As for Tre Demps comments, I'd rather him say that then not say it, very nice praise, but I doubt it's going to swing any one recruits opinion and I doubt Ben would even consider it in his pitch, but it never hurts to have people say positive about you and I hope Ben can live up to that positive praise and get some guys in here the next couple of classes. Off to a good start in 2022
this was the way I was thinking about it also-- kids don't watch the game, much less the pre-game and post-game talk. They watch the 8 plays a game that make it to social media. Dunk, block, 28ft 3 point shot etc. The days of picking up a tidbit on how to play the game from Hubie Brown in the middle of a 20 second defensive stand on the Saturday game of the week are long gone.
So a good comment is better than a bad comment but unless Tre Demps has the ear of a parent or an AAU coach it doesn't help much

Top Bottom