Big Ten Network’s Minnesota Preview Show airs Friday night at 7 PM CT

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a quick reminder that the Big Ten Network’s Minnesota Preview Show airs Friday night at 7 PM CT. Dave Revsine, Gerry DiNardo and Howard Griffith were in Minneapolis last week to watch practice and to interview Tim Brewster, Adam Weber and other Golden Gophers for the preview show.

Also, the BTN shot a behind the scenes video of our day in Minneapolis. Here’s a link to that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBcfQn47lXI

The DVR is already set to go for this...and the replay of the MSU game.

I love technology. I will be driving from the Twin Cities to the cabin tomorrow night so I just set the cabin DVR to record it, via the DirecTV website. I will be on the road while it airs but will be able to watch it whenever I get settled in up there.

Set your DVR to BTN at 5

And prior to the preview you can look back at the kick and sprint by Lloyd to the Axe.

Unrelated, I know, but who on earth cast those unwatchable a-holes on Friday Night Tailgate? Does anyone really think they're funny???

Sorry, BTN rant concluded.

It is a shame because I like the idea of Friday night Tailgate. The first year wasn't too bad. But, those guys trying to be funny do indeed make it unwatchable. Is that show even back for '10? If so, it is going to need some major changes to get me to watch it again.

Yeah, they just try way too hard, that's all. The show's a great concept though.

Maturi says he's o.k. with watching this show or not watching this show, either way he's all right with it.

I enjoy watching Charissa Thompson on Friday Night Tailgate. Just saying.

Just watched it. Quite a fair analysis, not as much "dismay" as the Trolls, Kool Aid and Brewster haters would like, but fair for the "realists" and "hopefuls". It's also a little boring but worth a watch for those interested. It's on at 10:00, 11:00, 1:00 am, 3:00, 4:00 and 7:00 am and noon tomorrow. I then quit checking.:)

Oh yeah, there's a good interview with Horton about mid-way.

DiNardo made it pretty clear he thinks the program is in good shape with Brewster with regards to recruiting, but he sure didn't sound like he expects the Gophers to win many games this season.

He did make a statement toward the end of the show that almost sounded like a shot at Brew's (lack of) coaching ability. To paraphrase, he said the program can continue to grow with Brew's recruiting while letting Cosgrove and Horton do the coaching. Intended or not, it sounded like DiNardo took a shot at Brew's coaching acumen.

It is a shame because I like the idea of Friday night Tailgate. The first year wasn't too bad. But, those guys trying to be funny do indeed make it unwatchable. Is that show even back for '10? If so, it is going to need some major changes to get me to watch it again.

I did improv with Jordan Klepper back in college. That show seems to be a bigger success among the college age types. It isn't my favorite show, but I tend to watch it occasionally to see some of his sketch ideas.

I thought he was saying that both the DC and the OC both now knew what they were doing and that what they were doing actually complimented each others approach. I agree with that. We have always needed a good running game to keep the D off the field. Too bad this coach did not just carry over what was already here without the diversions with Dunbar and Withers. We will actually see this year if all these recruits are better than the guys they replace. Certainly they see the D as green and that will hurt them early.

DiNardo made it pretty clear he thinks the program is in good shape with Brewster with regards to recruiting, but he sure didn't sound like he expects the Gophers to win many games this season.

He did make a statement toward the end of the show that almost sounded like a shot at Brew's (lack of) coaching ability. To paraphrase, he said the program can continue to grow with Brew's recruiting while letting Cosgrove and Horton do the coaching. Intended or not, it sounded like DiNardo took a shot at Brew's coaching acumen.

I didn't take that as a shot. I think that was the model all along. Brewster manages things and heads recruiting, and he hires good coordinators. We finally have them, I think.

I think it is a good model to have your coordinators be the x and o guys. Good coordinators want to run their side of the ball without the HC over their shoulder. Jedd Fisch this was a mistake. With Cosgrove it has worked good so far.

I thought he was saying that both the DC and the OC both now knew what they were doing and that what they were doing actually complimented each others approach. I agree with that. We have always needed a good running game to keep the D off the field. Too bad this coach did not just carry over what was already here without the diversions with Dunbar and Withers. We will actually see this year if all these recruits are better than the guys they replace. Certainly they see the D as green and that will hurt them early.

While I agree not going to the Spread and keeping a good ground game would have been ideal, I'm not sure if it needed to change from Browning's style? Dinardo and Revsine mentioned we now have the largest line in the conference. Under Browning/Mason and the zone-blocking scheme we were typically the smallest line in the conference. All I know for sure is that we might have won a B10 title with the offense of 2005 and some of defensive talent we now have on the roster.

They all agreed that the running game MUST improve significantly in order for the Gophers to be the surprise team in the BT this Fall. Griffith mentioned that the D will be very young and will greatly benefit from a strong running game. From what I saw of the clips, the OL had the upper hand with the DL. Carufel particularly looked very solid and Wills was right there with him on the running plays.

Couple of things I took from the show. Weber looks very sharp going through the drills and playing.

Hageman may be big, but he has a LOT of work to do at DE. He needs to learn how to read his block. I noticed runners going right by him while he was engaged with his blocker. If he does not improve substantially, he could end up being a liability at end.

As for Brewster, one thing I get from him is that he really loves the U of M and he is trying his damnest to build a great program. I do not see him jumping ship if a better opportunity comes up (assuming he gets us improves to the point that he becomes attractive to another program). He also seems to be a good fit for the B10 and Minnesota in general. He also looks very focused. He seems determined to prove all the naysayers wrong.

Horton made an important comment during the show. He said we need to shorten the game and keep the defense off the field, and give them some rest. Nothing astonishing about that, but he followed it up with we will never have the talent of the Ohio States, Penn State. I agree with him, and we haven't had anything close to their talent. However first time I heard a coach say it.

Brew would say the same things in the same way if he were working as a dog catcher in Kabul. It's just the way he talks.

They seemed to think we were the last place team in the Big Ten. One interesting note was that we are the fourth largest offensive line in the nation. They were really high on Minnesota's freshmen lineman in the starting lineup. The offensive line should be pretty good thid year. I'd be suprised if our line was not in the top half of the Big Ten.

DiNardo said that Ed Olsen would be all Big Ten and possibly all American by the time he graduates. Pretty good praise.

While I agree not going to the Spread and keeping a good ground game would have been ideal, I'm not sure if it needed to change from Browning's style? Dinardo and Revsine mentioned we now have the largest line in the conference. Under Browning/Mason and the zone-blocking scheme we were typically the smallest line in the conference. All I know for sure is that we might have won a B10 title with the offense of 2005 and some of defensive talent we now have on the roster.

You "know for sure"? As we have not played a game yet with these guys on D, I know nothing of the sort. 2005 team was one, one pass rushing DE short of being a darn good D. Meanwhile we have no idea that this D has either a pass rushing DE or anything else much.

Pretty good TV. They weren't in a position to project a winning season, but they were generally positive about the direction Brew is taking us.

From watching what scrimmage they showed, boh sides of the ball look much further from where they need to be than I expected. Rasheed, in particular looked to have huge potential, but not much in current skill. It's clear rhat a lot of frosh will play, both red-shirt and true. Very glad we will face a rookie Qback first game. Hopefully we can go 2-0 and get some real experience into this very young squad.

Maybe it was just that our offenders were so darn good

They seemed to think we were the last place team in the Big Ten. One interesting note was that we are the fourth largest offensive line in the nation.

IMHO I really am not very happy about having the fourth largest offensive line in the nation. I don't think that automtically translates to a positive on Game Day Saturdays in Big Ten play. I will have to see some really positive results coming from the running game and the pass protection to believe that having a huge offensive line will really help us win Big Ten football games. We don't have a Ron Dayne type runner like they had at Wisconsin when they had their 400 pound plus offensive tackles. Big might be good, but, then again, big might just be slow and ineffective. One thing is certain, after we get the non-conference games out of the way, we will be able to get some actual proof of how good or how ineffective our offensive line will be in Big Ten play. If they are good, there will be some surprising Big Ten wins in 2010. If they are not good, it could be a very long and sad Big Ten season. The offensive line will be the key to everything for the 2010 season. There will be no spinning. There will be no excuse making. The offensive line will be good, or it will be a very long Big Ten football season.

Top Bottom