Big Ten Middle Tier Schedules

woohoo

Reaction score
I was looking at the upcoming schedules for NW, Illinios, and MN. What are the odds that Illinois loses the rest of their games in the big ten season? I'm definitely happy that the gophs don't have to play their remaining schedule. NW on the other hand, has a pretty lax scedule, and the gophers fall somewhere in between the two. If the Big Ten sends 5 teams it should be pretty close between NW and MN.

woohoo

I was looking at the upcoming schedules for NW, Illinios, and MN. What are the odds that Illinois loses the rest of their games in the big ten season? I'm definitely happy that the gophs don't have to play their remaining schedule. NW on the other hand, has a pretty lax scedule, and the gophers fall somewhere in between the two. If the Big Ten sends 5 teams it should be pretty close between NW and MN.

I have previously mentioned the hellacious last 8 games of the Illini. Now I wonder if they will luck out tomorrow and play a "Lucas-less" Spartan team.

From http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-t25-michiganst-lucas&prov=ap&type=lgns

Michigan State star Kalin Lucas did not practice Thursday because of a sprained right ankle and is questionable to play in the fifth-ranked Spartans’ next game.

Michigan State plays Saturday at Illinois and hosts No. 8 Purdue on Tuesday.

I was looking at the upcoming schedules for NW, Illinios, and MN. What are the odds that Illinois loses the rest of their games in the big ten season? I'm definitely happy that the gophs don't have to play their remaining schedule. NW on the other hand, has a pretty lax scedule, and the gophers fall somewhere in between the two.

Not really on the topic but speaking of remaining schedules I really think Wisconsin will take the Big 10 this year.

Blizzz

Not really on the topic but speaking of remaining schedules I really think Wisconsin will take the Big 10 this year.

After looking at the Buckeye and Spartan remaining schedule I have to say that is possible!

Bucky is done with MSU and Purdue but has Illinois twice.

MSU is at Illinois, has Purdue twice and has Ohio State at home.

Yuck.

Any of the 5 teams at the top except Illinois could win it, really. MSU and Wisconsin are probably the favorites right now, due to MSU's 2 game lead and Wisconsin's easy schedule.

The tough schedules of Purdue and OSU could benefit them, though, if they play well.

Advantage: Illini (2 very good nonconference wins)

My 2 cents.

I'd give Illinois the edge over the Gophers and Northwestern for the 5th spot, even with their brutal remaining schedule. They're already 7-3. If the Illini simply win (a minimum of) three more games, they'll be 18-13 and 10-8. Their RPI and SOS will get a big jump the rest of the way simply for playing the studs remaining on their schedule. Do that and they'll be in pretty good shape. It would be awfully hard for the Selection Committee to ignore those wins over Vandy and (at) Clemson.

If someone were to tell me the Big 10 will receive 5 bids on Selection Sunday (that is the greatest likelihood), I'd put the percentages at:

Illinois 65% (easily has best nonconference wins of the 3, plenty of quality-win opportunities remain)

Northwestern 20% (nonconference resume is solid if not spectacular, but will Wildcats fully take advantage of soft remaining schedule?)

Gophers 15% (self-inflicted wounds may finally be catching up to them, no notable wins outside of league other than Butler)

Top Bottom