Big Ten men's basketball head coach salaries

No, I wouldn't be a fan at half the salary, but at $2 Million it just adds another dimension to the expectations.

If you wish to be irrational, sure. The salary is irrelevant. The money is already spent. What you truly care about is the results. You don't care about the salary. If they didn't spend it on Tubby's salary, it would get spent someplace else. What your expectations should be based on is his prior performance and that of the University's. He is severely underperforming his own standards, and slightly underperforming the University's historical standards. That is really what you care about. You don't care about his salary. It is a red herring.

Compared to the 13.5 million we're bringing in in team revenue, 2 mil is chump change.

No, actually I do care. It is $2 Million that could be better spent by the U of Athletic Department. If he made nothing, I would care less.

Compared to the 13.5 million we're bringing in in team revenue, 2 mil is chump change.
So why don't we pay Kill $10 Million a year? It is chump change compared to football revenue.

No, actually I do care. It is $2 Million that could be better spent by the U of Athletic Department. If he made nothing, I would care less.

And what is that any business of yours? Why do you care? The money they have available to them (and your contribution and stake therein) is the same either way. If it wasn't spent on Tubby's salary, it would be spent someplace else. The money is only consequential insofar as the University pledges the appropriate resources to secure and maintain competitive personnel in coaching, training, etc. Once that money is pledged, it is irrelevant. The results are what matter. You would still be just as angry at Tubby if he were making $1.

So why don't we pay Kill $10 Million a year? It is chump change compared to football revenue.

Because his resume is chump meat compared to someone like Tubby Smith. If we had hired a coach who had won a national championship 10 years ago and had been to multiple NYD bowl games (Sweet 16s) and always went to a bowl game period, we would be paying that football coach a good $3 million at least, even though he still probably goes 3-9 last season and likely won't do better than .500 next season.

And what is that any business of yours? Why do you care? The money they have available to them (and your contribution and stake therein) is the same either way. If it wasn't spent on Tubby's salary, it would be spent someplace else. The money is only consequential insofar as the University pledges the appropriate resources to secure and maintain competitive personnel in coaching, training, etc. Once that money is pledged, it is irrelevant. The results are what matter. You would still be just as angry at Tubby if he were making $1.

Money matters because money is resource. Wasted resource that could be used for other things. Practice facility, better coaches in other sports, better A.D. etc. It is part of why I would not extend him. Absolutely.

Because his resume is chump meat compared to someone like Tubby Smith. If we had hired a coach who had won a national championship 10 years ago and had been to multiple NYD bowl games (Sweet 16s) and always went to a bowl game period, we would be paying that football coach a good $3 million at least, even though he still probably goes 3-9 last season and likely won't do better than .500 next season.

He has as many top half Big Ten finishes as Tubby. And besides it is only chump change so who cares?

So, for the fact guys, check this out....who has the least amount of conference wins per salary dollar in the country over the past 4 years? Any wild guesses? Any facts around this?

Don't know about in the country, but in the Big Ten, believe it or not it's Tom Izzo, followed by Tubby and Beilen. Matta isn't too far behind also.

Like in most work places, past experience and success partly determines salary. I don't see it being much different here. If you have two employees who do the same amount of work, and do it at the same efficiency but one's been at your company 15 years longer, who do you think gets paid more?

Unless its some outlandish number, salary shouldn't play too much into how you rate a coach in my opinion.

http://extra.twincities.com/car/salaries/default.aspx

Interesting. Search only coach and you can see the salaries of all the different coaches in the system. Tubby's assistants may be a little underpaid if you compare to football. Perhaps that is the norm in basketball.

Most egregious stat is that Borton makes 190 000 more than Lucia.

520 000 is an insane amount for a WBB coach who is not a superstar. That has to rub the rest of the coaches the wrong way.

Living in the twin cities as a radical lesbian is very expensive. It's economic justice. I'm sure she is worth every penny. Another contract Joel can be proud of.

The rising coach's salaries of the Big Ten has a direct relationship to the BT network. Tubby was the first new hire of that era, and most schools have upgraded since then.

The rising coach's salaries of the Big Ten has a direct relationship to the BT network. Tubby was the first new hire of that era, and most schools have upgraded since then.

Tubby took a pay cut to come here, that's why we paid him near the top of all Big Ten coaches.

Easy for DpDoll to be a tough guy with internet anonymity.

My name can be determined from my moniker. I graduated from Granada-Huntley in 1990

My name can be determined from my moniker. I graduated from Granada-Huntley in 1990
My name can be determined from mine as well, but until I said that no one knew so I was still anonymous.

okay. Waiting for the disclosure on your identity.

Because you said that yours can be determined from your moniker.

I still don't see why it matters. If you want to know it, you'll have to look for it yourself. Anyone can find it pretty easily.

Looks to me like Bruce Weber is getting ~$1.5M more than he deserves this year.

Tubby Salary

Taken from Minnesota Public Salaries

U of M 2010 ORLANDO HENRY SMITH TWIN CITIES HEAD COACH $1,998,113

Taken from Minnesota Public Salaries

U of M 2010 ORLANDO HENRY SMITH TWIN CITIES HEAD COACH $1,998,113

I am sure dpdoll will post that tubby should return some of his salary based on the conference performance of the team.

Cranium never anywhere near rectum and firmly atop shoulders. Thanks though.

And I'm not "accusing" you of lying. I'm flat-out stating that you were lying. You didn't qualify your statement with "from what I've seen" or "from what I could find". You stated things that were not factual as though they were facts. You pretended to have greater knowledge of the facts than you did. Both are lying and disingenuous where I come from. The post, for those who may not have seen it:

Quote Originally Posted by Whathavewedone View Post
A roughly $2 million annual salary isn't huge to you? Dang I wish I had your cash. And that puts him in the top 10-12 of coaching salaries depending on the source you look at. The 2 B1G coaches ahead of him are winning conf. titles and going to FF's.

Not a single thing in that post is factual
, and you emphatically stated all of it as though it were. Don't feel too badly, though. You're far from the only person who spreads lies and propaganda about Tubby on a daily basis. It happens here as well as a lot of other places. As someone who is interested in discussing issues from a factual point of view, I finally got tired of it and decided to combat it.

it's a fact that 1.8 million (or 1.998 million) is 'roughly 2 million'.
it is NOT a fact that 1.8 million ( or 1.998 million ) is 'exactly 2 million'.

this gives me more material for my signature line.
keep it up, dpod.

Weren't the discussions on $2 million if extended? I don't know if it goes above that.
Does anyone really know? How public were the negotiations? I doubt that negotiations are subject to sunshine laws but the $2 to $2.5 million per year figure is what's been bandied about.

But beyond that, does it really matter if the coach is paid $2 mil or $1.5 mil? A salary doesn't win games. The reality is, a salary is just representative of your resume, not what you currently bring to the table. Tubby is going to make more money than a lot of coaches regardless because he has the full resume to back it up.
He shouldn't make more money. He should be making about $1.1 million per year based on the intersection of his results and DBDOLLS chart. Who cares what his resume is now? What would any other Big 10 or BCS program pay him if he left here? The market, not the resume should dictate what he is paid.

This is just how it is in almost any business industry. Experience = $$$$, even if you are some hot shot in the lower ranks, you aren't gonna get as much as an experienced manager who has produced solid results for 20 years at every level. And a bad year or two isn't gonna suddenly make worth half of your salary.
The only industries where experience guarantees salary is the pre-lockout NBA, public schools and other industries held hostage by unions. In my line of work and just about everywhere else where the market dictates, it doesn't matter what your past production amounted to if you currently don't produce. That's why the gray hairs get bought out in my line of work once they decide they want to spend more time in sun than in the office come February. Only those with tenure or union protection ever get to coast past their prime.

I think people are getting a little too hung up on how much he's making.
At what level should people care how much the coach is making? My position dating to last season with Tubby has been that the U should keep him on as coach, but he ought to be paid commensurate with production.

Top Bottom