Big Ten/MAC sign Little Caesars Pizza Bowl deal through 2013

No 8 Big Ten team vs No 1 or 2 MAC team? Wow. 8 Bowl teams is rare in itself, but to then pit such a lowly team vs the top MAC team is rather arrogant as well.

Please let us never make an appearance there...

I can't think of a worse bowl game. It really is just awful. Nothing like closing the season in Detroit against a MAC team. It's almost a penalty, not a reward. I guess if you finish 8th, you have to take your medicine.

On the bright side, if the Gophers ever go there maybe it's the one bowl they'll be able to win?

On the bright side, if the Gophers ever go there maybe it's the one bowl they'll be able to win?

We had a pretty solid bowl record going prior to being stuck in the Insight Bowl as the yearly destination.

Perhaps we just really don't match up well with the Big XII?

All bowl games should be played in warm weather climates. Who the heck wants to go to Detroit (aka the toilet) in December?

All bowl games should be played in warm weather climates. Who the heck wants to go to Detroit (aka the toilet) in December?

Not me actually BUT,

1. It's a bone thrown to Michigan and the MAC schools. The first seven bowls take the money South. Any chance a good MAC team gets to face a beatable Big Ten team will draw some of their fans to Detroit. The last seven games have drawn 51k, 52k, 46k, 54k, 60k, 41k, 30k. The last two with FAU, and Marshall being the visitors. No Big Ten school is going to be happy going to Detroit but nothing wrong with keeping some of the money "in house" and having a hole card to play, because...

2. Adding a eight team to the guarantee list could also be a nod towards expansion. Having an eighth commitment out there, albeit a small one, looks good with either 12 or even 14 teams to "feed".

If it's the Motor City Bowl or nothing, I'll take it. But it doesn't mean that a January trip to Detroit is all that appealing. The bowls will be in southern states if someone down there wants to set one up. The only reason there is a Motor City Bowl at all is because some group got together to create one. The mythical Metro Bowl at the Metrodome could happen if there was a group of investors who wanted to make it happen. It looks like the MCB is pretty well-attended, better than a lot of minor bowl games.

Who the heck wants to go to Detroit (aka the toilet) in December?

On average 45,899 people... that's who. For non-BCS bowls, this game does very well and isn't going anywhere. It's probably the most stable lower-tier bowl game.

Top Bottom