Big Ten Homecoming Games 2021

HitMeAgainIAmStillMoving

Reaction score
Takes some real gall to schedule Bowling Green as Homecoming. I hope PJ can step this up in the future.

Illinois hosts Wisconsin
Iowa hosts Purdue
Minnesota hosts Bowling Green
Nebraska hosts Northwestern
Northwestern hosts Rutgers
Purdue hosts Minnesota
Wisconsin hosts Iowa
Indiana hosts Michigan State
Maryland hosts Indiana
Michigan hosts Rutgers
Michigan St hosts Western Kentucky
Ohio State hosts Maryland
Penn State hosts Illinois
Rutgers hosts Michigan State

I think it was just a quirk of the schedule this year?

We're away Oct 2nd and then BYE on Oct 9th. Home vs Nebraska on Oct 16th ... is that too late for homecoming?

2019 it was on Oct 5th vs Illinois.

I think it was just a quirk of the schedule this year?

We're away Oct 2nd and then BYE on Oct 9th. Home vs Nebraska on Oct 16th ... is that too late for homecoming?

2019 it was on Oct 5th vs Illinois.
I think Oct 16 is actually good football weather and if we are looking for a pushover Frost provides.

I see the logic. Likely the home game with the biggest need to bring in a few casual fans.

I see the logic. Likely the home game with the biggest need to bring in a few casual fans.
Sept 11 vs Miami OH could be a big "let down" game if the pre-Labor Day Thurs night game against Ohio State goes poorly.

Neither MAC team is terribly exciting for fans, but they "should be" wins and a chance to see our Gophers play well.

Well, some would say that you want to win your Homecoming game to send the fans home in a good mood. A loss to Nebby - no matter how improbable - would turn the day into a big wet blanket, and allow Frosty to crow all year that "we beat the Gophers at their Homecoming game."

so, Bowling green may not be a marquee opponent, but hopefully Homecoming pulls in some fans and they get to celebrate a win.

And with an 11am kickoff, the serious drinking can start by 2:30 or 3:00pm.

Well, some would say that you want to win your Homecoming game to send the fans home in a good mood. A loss to Nebby - no matter how improbable - would turn the day into a big wet blanket, and allow Frosty to crow all year that "we beat the Gophers at their Homecoming game."

so, Bowling green may not be a marquee opponent, but hopefully Homecoming pulls in some fans and they get to celebrate a win.

And with an 11am kickoff, the serious drinking can start by 2:30 or 3:00pm.
1230pm for students who come to the game by 1130am.

But I also doubt Coyle just leaves PJ a voicemail like: "Yo! PJ my man! Hey, I randomly decided while on the can last night that I'll just go ahead and make BG the homecoming game. Sounds good mah brotha?? Keep it real homie!"
I am not even sure how much say the AD has in deciding. Coyle isn't coordinating the alumni gatherings, the blood drive or the parade. I am sure that he's consulted, but it's a University-wide event, not just a football game.

I am not even sure how much say the AD has in deciding. Coyle isn't coordinating the alumni gatherings, the blood drive or the parade. I am sure that he's consulted, but it's a University-wide event, not just a football game.
I'm quite certain that Coyle and PJ have input about: a) making the schedule each year in the first place, and b) coordinating with the school about which game is best for all interests involved to select as homecoming.

Typically homecoming scheduling has a lot to do with non football stuff.

PLUS

if homecoming attracts a bigger crowd than usual they should schedule it on a more empty game to maximize revenue. Make Ohio state the homecoming game and you get the same size crowd

I'm quite certain that Coyle and PJ have input about: a) making the schedule each year in the first place, and b) coordinating with the school about which game is best for all interests involved to select as homecoming.
I agree they have some input. The OP was complaining about the opponent and expressed hope that PJ would "step this up" going forward as if it was his decision. It isn't. It's a Univesity-wide decision.

Typically homecoming scheduling has a lot to do with non football stuff.

PLUS

if homecoming attracts a bigger crowd than usual they should schedule it on a more empty game to maximize revenue. Make Ohio state the homecoming game and you get the same size crowd
Fleck's homecoming games have been:

2017 - Illinois - Oct 21 - Won
2018 - Iowa - Oct 6 - Lost
2019 - Illinois - Oct 5 - Won
2020 - I don't think there officially was one?
2021 - Bowling Green - Sept 25

Again it heavily depends on what the schedule is, and what home games are reasonable for the time frame.

But based on this, I see no reason it couldn't have been Oct 16 against Nebraska and at least been a Big Ten game. My opinion

Fleck's homecoming games have been:

2017 - Illinois - Oct 21 - Won
2018 - Iowa - Oct 6 - Lost
2019 - Illinois - Oct 5 - Won
2020 - I don't think there officially was one?
2021 - Bowling Green - Sept 25

Again it heavily depends on what the schedule is, and what home games are reasonable for the time frame.

But based on this, I see no reason it couldn't have been Oct 16 against Nebraska and at least been a Big Ten game. My opinion
The homecoming game in 2020 was to have been the BYU game on September 26.

Only Purdue had the gall to schedule Minnesota for Homecoming. Progress! There was once a time when Goldy had weekly tissue-paper-stuffed effigies in parades across the Midwest.

Only Purdue had the gall to schedule Minnesota for Homecoming. Progress! There was once a time when Goldy had weekly tissue-paper-stuffed effigies in parades across the Midwest.
Yep, at one point they were scheduled for so many homecoming games that when they were on the road they rented floats instead of buses.

I was surprised Michigan St got picked twice. Rutgers is also getting the rag doll treatment two times.
I mentioned PJ because I would think he can influence the team selected and as we know he eats tough conversations and teams for breakfast.

I'll start by saying that I did not attend the U but I have been a season ticket holder for the past 16 years. Does the average fan even care when Homecoming is? Maybe I am oblivious, but I usually don't even know when Homecoming is until about halftime or a break in the game I am at and they have an alumni band playing...

I'll start by saying that I did not attend the U but I have been a season ticket holder for the past 16 years. Does the average fan even care when Homecoming is? Maybe I am oblivious, but I usually don't even know when Homecoming is until about halftime or a break in the game I am at and they have an alumni band playing...
Sometimes the tailgate is slightly better

That Iowa hc was nuts.
The most notable thing about it was that it was the birth of Dan Faalele. Another miserable, punishment laden outing for ZA.

Tony Nelson was absolutely bitching Schlueter at RT. But big Dan came in, slapped his giant mitts on him, and shut his ass down pretty well for a true freshman.

But I also doubt Coyle just leaves PJ a voicemail like: "Yo! PJ my man! Hey, I randomly decided while on the can last night that I'll just go ahead and make BG the homecoming game. Sounds good mah brotha?? Keep it real homie!"
My guess its all TV and the U probably has little input because of some sort of agreement.

Top Bottom