Big Ten Head Football Salaries

I am shocked that Allen is making so little at Indiana. He's a really good coach and that's proved to be a hard place to win. What the heck, Indiana? You can't pony up for talent?

Agree but do at least one meaningful thing like winning the West.

We'll see.

If he ends up going 9-3 regular season, with competitive losses to Penn St (possible top 5 at the time), @Iowa (top 25 on the road), and Wisconsin (possible top 10), and then wins the Outback Bowl to go 10-3 overall ..... no West division title, no Big Ten title ..... but I feel like that would warrant significant consideration for upping his pay.

If other P5 are interested, that's just more leverage for him (Fleck) in negotiations.

So Fleck is going to get a straight top 20 salary ? No chance of this happening. I can assure you that Coyle is not putting forth a 5 MILLION a year plus contract right now.

You know, for a man your age, you should have learned this fundamental by now: Never say never.

Correct on Urban Meyer not wanting to coming here which is why you need to guarantee your coach is treated better than expected.
If suddenly Minnesota is a top 5-10 paying job, the rest of the nation would start to notice that MN is backing their program.

What you propose (incentive contract) for PJ is not going to happen. PJ would gain almost nothing in signing a contract like that and should leave if Coyle came with an insulting offer like that.
We are a top 25 program for revenue generated and therefore our coach should be in the top 25 for pay. Especially the case if he's transforming the team into a title contender. In that case it needs to be well in the top 15 because that's hard to do at Minnesota and it's better than turning over to a new unknown coach.

If the season finishes 10-2 or better with a New Year's Day Bowl invite, they need to step up and pay him $5 million +. Maybe they can't "afford" it, but there is a huge cost to letting him get away, having all the air go out of the balloon and starting over. Get it done.

So Fleck is going to get a straight top 20 salary ? No chance of this happening. You have to win something to get in that club.Huge fan of Coach Fleck but lets see what the next 6 games say. I can assure you that Coyle is not putting forth a 5 MILLION a year plus contract right now. My God, at least win the West. What programs that will pay 5 million a year right now for him are clamoring for him.

Texas aTm paid Jimbo a 75 million dollar ten year contract. We need to pony up....At minimum Fleck should make $5 million a year with an upside to get to 6 - 7 million.

I think if you look at the way the team is playing. You look at the way the team is developing. You look at the youth the team has. You can have a pretty good feeling the next 2-3 years here might be really good.

Do you really want to try and get by with a bottom half of the Big Ten Salary when your coach is being effective and risk losing him.

Don't even let him go shopping for other salaries. Continue to pre-emptively strike and pay the man top 20 money like he's deserving.
Right now we appear to be a team more likely to be top 20 over the next 2-3 years than a team 30-50.

Is that hard to see?

I'd worry at least as much about assistants. If Fleck wins, it's because he has an eye for hiring leaders, and that needs to be cultivated. Coyle should be hands on enough so he knows what needs to be done to keep things headed in the right direction.

Do you really want to try and get by with a bottom half of the Big Ten Salary when your coach is being effective and risk losing him.

Absolutely not. If Iowa can lock in Ferentz for over 20 years and running, I think we should try to lock in Fleck for at least 7 more years for the time being.

So Fleck is going to get a straight top 20 salary ? No chance of this happening. You have to win something to get in that club.Huge fan of Coach Fleck but lets see what the next 6 games say. I can assure you that Coyle is not putting forth a 5 MILLION a year plus contract right now. My God, at least win the West. What programs that will pay 5 million a year right now for him are clamoring for him.

Can someone tell me what the hell Brohm has won? I mean, Scott Frost is at least a National Championship winning coach (whether you agree or not, Wikipedia says so). Purdue way overpaid for Brohm.

I agree Fleck (and the assistants) should get some kind of bump, but I don't think it needs to get him(them) to top tier status. I think much like all the teams that were supposedly after Brew and Kill, I think a lot of this is just BS.

Top Bottom