Big Ten Head Coaches 2023 Ranking: Part I The Bottom Half (8. Minnesota Gophers PJ Fleck)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Off Tackle Empire:

8 Minnesota Gophers PJ Fleck​

74-49 (44-27/26-26 at Minnesota)

Fleck sits at .500 in the Big Ten thru six seasons. Despite having the easiest crossover schedule in the West last season, Fleck failed to lead the Gophers to the promised land of Indianapolis. Instead they settled for a second consecutive 9-4 season. PJ Fleck is known for his eccentric coaching style and enjoys sprinting down the sideline. The second biggest hype man in college football (behind Deion), Fleck does not enjoy eating ice cream in blizzards and therefore seems an odd choice for a Gophers coach, but he’s made it work so far.

Go Gophers!!

This is some pretty dumb writing
“If this was a division it would be the west”
Then proceeds to put 4 east coaches in the bottom 5 spots

The East is so good

False, Ohio state and Michigan are good.

The East is so good

So is PSU.

Fleck does not enjoy eating ice cream in blizzards and therefore seems an odd choice for a Gophers coach
Dipshits (including apparently OTE, who should know better) still think almost a decade later that it was a Gophers coach - many even think it was Claeys himself - eating a Dilly bar on the sidelines during the actual course of a competitive game.

Without being on this first list, that means Fickell is going to be top 8? An unknown at his new school? And Ryan Walters is 9 without ever coaching a game in the B1G. OK. That tells me all I need to know about this list.

So is PSU.
Penn state is okay.
since paternos last full year (2010)
Ohio state - 146 wins

Wisconsin - 122 wins
Michigan - 112 wins
Michigan state - 110 wins
PSU - 109 wins
Iowa - 105 wins
Northwestern - 90 wins
Minnesota - 87 wins
Nebraska - 84 wins

Maryland - 67 wins
Purdue - 62 wins
Rutgers - 61 wins
Illinois - 61 wins
Indiana - 61 wins

Literally in terms of number of wins in the end of paterno/post paterno era - Michigan and penn state are closer to being northwestern and Minnesota than they are to being Ohio state.

Since 2010
East - 666 wins
West - 611 wins

The difference between Ohio state and Wisconsin (24 games) is 44% of the difference between the west and the east (55 games)

But that wasn’t even my point. My point, If you think 4 of the bottom 5 coaches in the conference are in one divisions…that’s the shitty division (not the other one).
Penn state is lucky they play in the east. If they played in the west they may have one more or two more big ten title game appearances, but they’d also probably have more wins and fewer losses since they don’t start the year with 2 free conference wins against Indiana and Rutgers.

Penn state is okay.
since paternos last full year (2010)
Ohio state - 146 wins

Wisconsin - 122 wins
Michigan - 112 wins
Michigan state - 110 wins
PSU - 109 wins
Iowa - 105 wins
Northwestern - 90 wins
Minnesota - 87 wins
Nebraska - 84 wins

Maryland - 67 wins
Purdue - 62 wins
Rutgers - 61 wins
Illinois - 61 wins
Indiana - 61 wins

Literally in terms of number of wins in the end of paterno/post paterno era - Michigan and penn state are closer to being northwestern and Minnesota than they are to being Ohio state.

Since 2010
East - 666 wins
West - 611 wins

The difference between Ohio state and Wisconsin (24 games) is 44% of the difference between the west and the east (55 games)

But that wasn’t even my point. My point, If you think 4 of the bottom 5 coaches in the conference are in one divisions…that’s the shitty division (not the other one).
Penn state is lucky they play in the east. If they played in the west they may have one more or two more big ten title game appearances, but they’d also probably have more wins and fewer losses since they don’t start the year with 2 free conference wins against Indiana and Rutgers.

Since the East/West split PSU has more outright B1G championships than the West division teams combined.

They're 18-8 against the West. Northwestern & Nebraska has split with them. Every other West team has a losing record vs PSU. Wisconsin hasn't beaten PSU in over a decade.

PSU might be okay in the East. In the West they would be the best program in the 9 years of the East/West split.

Last edited:

Since the East/West split PSU has more outright B1G championships than the West division teams combined.

They're 18-8 against the West. Northwestern & Nebraska has split with them. Every other West team has a losing record vs Wisconsin. Wisconsin hasn't beaten PSU in over a decade.

PSU might be okay in the East. In the West they would be the best program in the 9 years of the East/West split.
Disagree with you.
It is much easier to win 8-10 games a year when you start with 6 at the beginning of the year (3 non conference, Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana)

If penn state was in the west they’d have more great years but also more average years.
More 11-12 win seasons
But also more 6-7 win seasons.

The East is so good

And Penn State

If PJ wins the West in his last possible attempt with a difficult schedule he deserves all the accolades.
If not he will still be a C+.

If PJ wins the West in his last possible attempt with a difficult schedule he deserves all the accolades.
If not he will still be a C+.
I’d give him a B but point well taken.

Disagree with you.
It is much easier to win 8-10 games a year when you start with 6 at the beginning of the year (3 non conference, Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana)

If penn state was in the west they’d have more great years but also more average years.
More 11-12 win seasons
But also more 6-7 win seasons.
What? They have very good records against almost every team in the west. PSU would have 3/4 west titles easy had they been there and be considered the class of the west by far.

What? They have very good records against almost every team in the west. PSU would have 3/4 west titles easy had they been there and be considered the class of the west by far.
3 west titles would be 2 more than they have east titles. Which is what I literally said

They’d also have some 6-7 win seasons instead of 9-10 by playing in the west

3 west titles would be 2 more than they have east titles. Which is what I literally said

They’d also have some 6-7 win seasons instead of 9-10 by playing in the west
What years would that be?

Top Bottom