Big Ten Football Season Expected To Proceed – Without Michigan, Michigan State

The last thing we want is a some in, some out scenario. Because the Gophers would probably be an “out” and our chief rivals would likely be “in” (Iowa and Nebraska for sure, probably Wisconsin)

Would be crushing for the program and our spirits.
As I’ve said, no chance the Gophers would be out if the Big Ten is in. No chance. That’s not who Gabel or Walz are, and PJ and Coyle would be up their rears, maybe even threaten to leave.

What this tells me is that the conference knows if they decide to play, and a few teams are left out (even the ones at the bottom of the pack) that it opens up the "It wasn't a full strength/real B1G conference schedule" argument, which could be enough to negate a chance at a playoff bid.

If everyone plays, then the B1G had a full conference schedule just like everybody else. The interesting thing is, even among actual sports reporters, the hold outs seem to be changing all the time. It's very confusing.
I heard an interesting discussion on a podcast the other day regarding playoff eligibility, etc

The other conferences, the SEC, ACC, Big 12, are NOT happy, as in pissed, at the B1G for trying to make their power play early last month about shutting things down, assuming everyone would follow, strong-arming the other conferences, which backfired miserably.

Because they have a LOT of say in how the playoff is determined, they are NOT going to make it easy on the B1G at this point. No reason for them to make it easy whatsoever. We'll see how this plays out.

I heard an interesting discussion on a podcast the other day regarding playoff eligibility, etc

The other conferences, the SEC, ACC, Big 12, are NOT happy, as in pissed, at the B1G for trying to make their power play early last month about shutting things down, assuming everyone would follow, strong-arming the other conferences, which backfired miserably.

Because they have a LOT of say in how the playoff is determined, they are NOT going to make it easy on the B1G at this point. No reason for them to make it easy whatsoever. We'll see how this plays out.
It'll depend on the number of games and how close they are. If Ohio State dominates in 8 or so games plus a conference championship, it's gonna be hard to keep them out even with fewer games, however if it's not quite that clear cut, yeah I imagine it might get heated...

If true, I feel bad for the Michigan and MSU kids. We should stop treating them like they're 6 years old and let them decide for themselves if they want to play or not. You're allowed to choose your career path in college, but in some states you can't decide if you want to run around on a football field.

Glad it sounds like most of the B1G came to their senses though.

It'll depend on the number of games and how close they are. If Ohio State dominates in 8 or so games plus a conference championship, it's gonna be hard to keep them out even with fewer games, however if it's not quite that clear cut, yeah I imagine it might get heated...
You spelled Minnesota wrong.

This thread should just be combined with all the others that are ultimately all boiling down to discussion about if the Big Ten will start football in Oct.

Based on the Wisconsin chancellor, it’s likely going to be all schools agreeing to play by X date. Michigan’s aren’t going to exclude themselves and neither is Minnesota.

I’m hearing minnesota is starting HS sports in October. Announcement coming today possibly.

Reality check - the MSHSL was scheduled to hold a workshop on Tuesday (9-15). one of the agenda items was "review and evaluate the decisions made regarding Fall Activities, with current season progress and data from member schools."

But - this is a workshop session only. No action will be taken. the MSHSL will hold an Executive Committee meeting on September 30th and a full Board meeting October 1st. No action could be taken before then.

the workshop will also discuss options for 2020 Fall post-season, and a calendar of activities for the rest of the school year.

On the Michigan thing - a co-worker said he listened to the Rich Eisen show Tuesday. Eisen also said that Michigan and Michigan State are talking about not playing this fall even if the B1G resumes play.

if that actually happens - How much would you pay to be in the room when Harbaugh meets with the big brass at Michigan? that would be hilarious.

Nebraska president caught on hot mic saying there's an announcement tonight, and that at least it's positive for Nebraska.

This feels significant.
Would think that means, at a minimum, they’ll let each school hold a season as they see fit even if it isn’t an official conf season.

Would much rather see an official season though, at this point, if they aren’t going to stick to their guns with cancelling fall.

The last thing we want is a some in, some out scenario. Because the Gophers would probably be an “out” and our chief rivals would likely be “in” (Iowa and Nebraska for sure, probably Wisconsin)

I'm actually not so sure about this sentiment. Early on in the discussions of restarting most reports were that we were on the fence, but leaning toward playing. Those then changed fairly quickly to we are playing if the season resumes and haven't faltered since.

To be fair, the ACC at least verbally told the B1G they would follow their lead if the rumors that the B1G cancelled thinking the Pac-12 and ACC were on-board to follow. Then ND stepped in and changed that. Again, if rumors are to be believed. At least that's how I interpreted the situation went down.

On the Michigan thing - a co-worker said he listened to the Rich Eisen show Tuesday. Eisen also said that Michigan and Michigan State are talking about not playing this fall even if the B1G resumes play.

if that actually happens - How much would you pay to be in the room when Harbaugh meets with the big brass at Michigan? that would be hilarious.
Assuming they would lose out on Big 10 network income.

The rumor is they basically had that. Then the ACC welshed on he deal at the last second.

Should they have waited and made a joint announcement? That is fair game to argue, sure.
ND put the screws to the ACC and they balked, unlike the B1G telling Nebraska not to let the door hit them.

The B1G is not going to do this. Especially if Michigan is one of the teams out. If was NW and MN maybe.

As noted above the Chancellor of U of WI said all play or none play.
There was said in case the majority vote not to play and some schools say we will play anyway.
That is not going to happen.
No school is so influential that they could bolt and forgo the BTN $$ and would not get a better deal elsewhere.

I would be fine with the Big 10 & Pac 12 breaking out the BCS meeting the Rose Bowl annually and letting the National Title being determined by AP/Coaches vote.

In fact, I would prefer it.

I’m pretty sure that Harbaugh would be gone from Michigan if this happened, perhaps a return to the NFL?

Would that be a threat or a promise to Go Blue fans?!?
Exactly. He's 0-5 against that "school down south" and makes like $8M/year. If he wanted to walk away from that, I am not sure the administration would try to stop him.

What's the status with all of the other bowl games? I know some of the lower tiered ones are already canceled but would there be any "postseason" for any big ten teams not named Ohio St?

Top Bottom